Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Trump at CPAC

While Trump criticized Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, who has been investigating Trump’s company, he claimed that “killings are taking place at a number like nobody’s ever seen, right in Manhattan.”

Facts First: It isn’t even close to true that Manhattan is experiencing a number of killings that nobody has ever seen. The region classified by the New York Police Department as Manhattan North had 43 reported murders in 2022; that region had 379 reported murders in 1990 and 306 murders in 1993. The Manhattan South region had 35 reported murders in 2022 versus 124 reported murders in 1990 and 86 murders in 1993. New York City as a whole is also nowhere near record homicide levels; the city had 438 reported murders in 2022 versus 2,262 in 1990 and 1,927 in 1993.

• Like 1

Talking about rioting amid racial justice protests after the police murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis in 2020, Trump claimed he had been ready to send in the National Guard in Seattle, then added, "We saved Minneapolis. The thing is, we're not supposed to do that. Because it's up to the governor, the Democrat governor. They never want any help. They don't mind -- it's almost like they don't mind to have their cities and states destroyed. There's something wrong with these people."

Facts First: This is a reversal of reality. Minnesota's Democratic governor, Tim Walz, not Trump, was the one who deployed the Minnesota National Guard during the 2020 unrest; Walz first activated the Guard more than seven hours before Trump publicly threatened to deploy the Guard himself. Walz's office told CNN in 2020 that the governor activated the Guard in response to requests from officials in Minneapolis and St. Paul -- cities also run by Democrats.

• Like 1

The Obama administration and Ukraine

Trump claimed that while he provided lethal assistance to Ukraine, the Obama administration "didn't want to get involved" and merely "supplied the bedsheets." He said, "Do you remember? They supplied the bedsheets. And maybe even some pillows from [pillow businessman] Mike [Lindell], who's sitting right over here. ... But they supplied the bedsheets."

Facts First: This is inaccurate. While it's true that the Obama administration declined to provide weapons to Ukraine, it provided more than $600 million in security assistance to Ukraine between 2014 and 2016 that involved far more than bedsheets. The aid included counter-artillery and counter-mortar radars, armored Humvees, tactical drones, night vision devices and medical supplies.

• Like 1

Trump and job creation

Promising to save Americans' jobs if he is elected again, Trump claimed, "We had the greatest job history of any president ever."

Facts First: This is false. The US lost about 2.7 million jobs during Trump's presidency, the worst overall jobs record for any president. The net loss was largely because of the Covid-19 pandemic, but even Trump's pre-pandemic jobs record -- about 6.7 million jobs added -- was far from the greatest of any president ever. The economy added more than 11.5 million jobs in the first term of Democratic President Bill Clinton in the 1990s.

• Like 1

Tariffs on China

Trump repeated a trade claim he made frequently during his presidency. Speaking of China, he said he "charged them" with tariffs that had the effect of "bringing in hundreds of billions of dollars pouring into our Treasury from China. Thank you very much, China." He claimed that he did this even though "no other president had gotten even 10 cents -- not one president got anything from them."

Facts First: As we have written repeatedly, it's not true that no president before Trump had generated any revenue through tariffs on goods from China. In reality, the US has had tariffs on China for more than two centuries, and FactCheck.org reported in 2019 that the US generated an "average of $12.3 billion in custom duties a year from 2007 to 2016, according to the U.S. International Trade Commission DataWeb." Also, American importers, not Chinese exporters, make the actual tariff payments -- and study after study during Trump's presidency found that Americans were bearing most of the cost.

• Like 1

trade deficit with China

Trump went on to repeat a false claim he made more than 100 times as president -- that the US used to have a trade deficit with China of more than $500 billion. He claimed it was "five-, six-, seven-hundred billion dollars a year."

Facts First: The US has never had a $500 billion, $600 billion or $700 billion trade deficit with China even if you only count trade in goods and ignore the services trade in which the US runs a surplus with China. The pre-Trump record for a goods deficit with China was about $367 billion in 2015. The goods deficit hit a new record of about $418 billion under Trump in 2018 before falling back under $400 billion in subsequent years.

• Like 1

Trump and the 2020 election

Trump said people claim they want to run against him even though, he claimed, he won the 2020 election. He said, "I won the second election, OK, won it by a lot. You know, when they say, when they say Biden won, the smart people know that didn't [happen]."

Facts First: This is Trump's regular lie. He lost the 2020 election to Biden fair and square, 306 to 232 in the Electoral College. Biden earned more than 7 million more votes than Trump did.

• Like 1

Afghanistan withdrawal and the F-16

Trump claimed that the Taliban acquired F-16 fighter planes because of the US withdrawal, saying: "They feared the F-16s. And now they own them. Think of it."

Facts First: This is false. F-16s were not among the equipment abandoned upon the US withdrawal and the collapse of the Afghan armed forces, since the Afghan armed forces did not fly F-16s.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I knew it was too much to hope that he would fade away.  Still, I hoped.

The more Liberal heads explode because of Trump, the more I want him to win in 2024.

Did he say that inflation was fake, or transitory, those are my faves.....

TDS in full bloom

omg politicians exaggerate no way

take me back to 2018 any time please

dont worry Wiff I know the most important thing facing Americans is ukraine so keep supporting the DNC

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

The more Liberal heads explode because of Trump, the more I want him to win in 2024.

I am not interested in heads exploding. I would prefer a nominee looking to the future, not one interested in vidicating his first term.  I would like a nominee who could, if he or she did well, govern for two terms rather than be an immediate lame duck under inestigation for past acts.  My read of the electorate is there are far more like uyou than like me.  I am use tho that.  all my life I have been an electoral outlier.

• Like 1

Trump or Desantis. I’ll take either. Prefer Desantis. 

12 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I am not interested in heads exploding. I would prefer a nominee looking to the future, not one inteerested in vidicating his first term.  I would like a nominee who could, if he or she did well, govern for two terms rather than be an immediate lame duck under inestigation for past acts.  My read of the electorate is there are far more like uyou than like me.  I am use tho that.  all my life I have been an electoral outlier.

Oh, my preference certainly is in line with yours.  I'm just saying that the extent to wit people on the left go, like Wiff, the more I'm ok with Trump winning.  I mean, they always say, "yeah, but Trump is worse", which is no different than, "I'm ok with liars, I just don't want that liar" (it's also willful ignorance).  Sorry, that doesn't cut it for me.  I only care about the policies that are put in place.  I'm not going to agree with every Republican policy, I'm not going to disagree with every Democrat policy, but those are just the majority.  I don't trust any politician, nor do I care about them as people.  As I said, I only care about what they do that impacts my life.  No, where and when they lie, has no impact on my life... the policies they enact, do.  That's what I care about.

58 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Trump or Desantis. I’ll take either. Prefer Desantis. 

Cant go Desantis.  The political machine is trying to do Trump like they did Perot in the 1990s.

1.  call Perot a kook to destroy him.
2.  both parties steal his ideas.
3.  both parties then fail to deliver on the ideas in hopes the public forgets.
4.  both parties get back to being the swamp and not helping anyone and just looting everything like crazy.

we went thru that once.  were not doing it again.  Desantis is obviously helping the swamp steal his ideas.  im not taking part in it a second time.

i will go with someone who actually has a long track record of not being a rino, like rand paul.  but Desantis looks every bit like a setup.

It will be hilarious if Trump loses the nomination and goes scorched earth on the GOP. 😂 

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

It will be hilarious if Trump loses the nomination and goes scorched earth on the GOP. 😂 

He went scorched earth on them in 2016 and still got the nomination. Jeb! 

17 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Cant go Desantis.  The political machine is trying to do Trump like they did Perot in the 1990s.

1.  call Perot a kook to destroy him.
2.  both parties steal his ideas.
3.  both parties then fail to deliver on the ideas in hopes the public forgets.
4.  both parties get back to being the swamp and not helping anyone and just looting everything like crazy.

we went thru that once.  were not doing it again.  Desantis is obviously helping the swamp steal his ideas.  im not taking part in it a second time.

i will go with someone who actually has a long track record of not being a rino, like rand paul.  but Desantis looks every bit like a setup.

Reagan voter California resident says DeSantis is a RINO, funny

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

the GOP is busy trying to suck up to CNN at the moment, so the GOP is going scorched earth on itself.

20 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Some people just want to watch the world burn

Yes, they do... that's why they voted for Biden instead of Trump.  Not my fault.

3 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Tariffs on China

Trump repeated a trade claim he made frequently during his presidency. Speaking of China, he said he "charged them" with tariffs that had the effect of "bringing in hundreds of billions of dollars pouring into our Treasury from China. Thank you very much, China." He claimed that he did this even though "no other president had gotten even 10 cents -- not one president got anything from them."

Facts First: As we have written repeatedly, it's not true that no president before Trump had generated any revenue through tariffs on goods from China. In reality, the US has had tariffs on China for more than two centuries, and FactCheck.org reported in 2019 that the US generated an "average of $12.3 billion in custom duties a year from 2007 to 2016, according to the U.S. International Trade Commission DataWeb." Also, American importers, not Chinese exporters, make the actual tariff payments -- and study after study during Trump's presidency found that Americans were bearing most of the cost.

Trump’s tariff policy was a complete disaster. But the problem is Biden hasn’t gotten rid of it. And both political parties are doubling down, each attempting to show the public how “tough” they are against China. 

Trump can get away with saying that tariffs are a good thing, because right now there’s not a single politician in either party who is brave enough to disagree with him. 

2017-2019 were some of the best years in our nations history. For once a high tide actually was raising all boats. Peace and prosperity ruled the day. Then a virus and some junkie got killed by a moron cop. And as usual with the left, the reaction was worse than the occurrences. 

Tariffs on China

ok by that logic our tax policy is terrible because we can tax corporations but they just pass the taxes onto American consumers.  So lets cut taxes, right?

Tariffs on China

This drives me nuts to no end. I can't believe all the sectors affected by this aren't screaming to high heaven that it's the customers that are paying the price for these tariffs. 

• Haha 1

Cut em off. They can sell us plastic soldiers and Barbies again. Make the other stuff ourselves. 

2 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

TDS still in full control of liberal minds. 

So wiffle goes bananas starting this thread & Trumps been out for two years.   

Don't look forward because, well Biden.    buuuuut Truuuuuummmppppppp!

nice job Wiffle.  good luck with your tds.  in 20 years maybe you might be able to sleep again.  doubt it though.

55 minutes ago, shadrap said:

So wiffle goes bananas starting this thread & Trumps been out for two years.   

Don't look forward because, well Biden.    buuuuut Truuuuuummmppppppp!

nice job Wiffle.  good luck with your tds.  in 20 years maybe you might be able to sleep again.  doubt it though.

He'll take Trump to his grave just like all the other liberals on this site will. No cure for the TDS.