edjr

Gasoline to $7? What happens to the USA if this happens?

You think ish is expensive now? Eggs will cost $1 per egg.

I will walk or bike more.  Might have some health benefits.  I may give up my plans to drive to Bella Coola as too expensive.

I would simply not drive, and walk more. I would probably stick to that as well.  Every move would be to avoid paying the higher costs.  I think any standard and sane person would do the same?

I must ask aloud to anyone though....would any of us approach this any differently?

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

would simply not drive, and walk more

Not everyone has that luxury. Some need to actually work, some need to eat, some need to go to the doctor, some have responsibilities that are not within walking distance, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, League Champion said:

Not everyone has that luxury. Some need to actually work, some need to eat, some need to go to the doctor, some have responsibilities that are not within walking distance, etc. 

Agree.  And those people tend to fall into specific segments of society.  When the government designates policy, and that policy leads to increases in costs, it hurts the people they pretend to care about the most. Its repugnant.

But I must stretch my point here.  Would you concur, that most people would take action to reduce their costs when prices rise? Taking the actions available to them?

3 minutes ago, League Champion said:

No question it will hit independant truck drivers way motre than me, who works from home, primarily.

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

But I must stretch my point here.  Would you concur, that most people would take action to reduce their costs when prices rise? Taking the actions available to them?

Of course, if they can. Not everyone has that luxury though. Unfortunately not all of us get to work from home

3 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Of course, if they can. Not everyone has that luxury though. Unfortunately not all of us get to work from home

Agreed.

I will infer, for the moment, that we can all agree that households being hit by this price increase will take actions to sustain themselves, to include and perhaps especially the lowering of costs. Maybe by buying less, or not buying at all. And I would note that no one would consider the behaviors out of bounds.

I think this is a balanced and fair approach. 

So when the minimum wage is increased, and costs for things rise. Why are they the villains? If say fast food embraces automation rather than pay the extra costs....why is that a problem?

Not to you , but aloud to the crew.....

Maybe the black people in LA can breathe easier without all the wypeepo driving their cars

• Like 1

I could benefit by walking to the grocery everyday and packing the items back home.  Three, miles round trip.  A few pounds added for the walk back, primarily downhill.

I'm amazed at all the folks who go to walk or run on treadmills at health clubs they have to drive to.  Just walk or run. Maybe even use the miles for something productive.

7 dollar a gallon gasoline would cripple the country, especially the North East. 

Imagine truckers or cargo ships dealing with $9 a gallon Diesel? That alone would hurt the economy, even more. 

Biden promised gas prices will remain high "as long as it takes" to defeat Ukraine.  So I imagine $7 gas will turn more people against the Ukraine war.

Biden also remarked America is going thru a "great transition" with high gas prices meant to push Americans to green energy.

Trump 11 years ago warned the swamp will push gas prices to $7 unless he is president.

1 minute ago, League Champion said:

7 dollar a gallon gasoline would cripple the country, especially the North East. 

Imagine truckers or cargo ships dealing with $9 a gallon Diesel? That alone would hurt the economy, even more. 

We are focked

That guy's voice is SUPER annoying.

1 minute ago, Alias Detective said:

Smokers found a way

They moved closer to the gas stations?

5 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I could benefit by walking to the grocery everyday and packing the items back home.  Three, miles round trip.  A few pounds added for the walk back, primarily downhill.

I'm amazed at all the folks who go to walk or run on treadmills at health clubs they have to drive to.  Just walk or run. Maybe even use the miles for something productive.

Cool but every single thing at the grocery store would double in price at a minimum.  

what will happen is the media will interview some retired white liberal millionaire from Santa Barbara who will gently remind us that these things are good for our future and to not be alarmed because the pain really isn't that bad as he can still wake up in the morning and walk on the beach in the sunshine with his dogs and live comfortably.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, frank said:

I can't imagine why his channel didn't take off like a Space X flight.

2 minutes ago, Bert said:

Cool but every single thing at the grocery store would double in price at a minimum.  

I suspect that is entirely correct.  i would likely start buying less expensive ittems and eating out less. There would naturally be collateral negative impacts on the econiomy should multitudes do as I would do.  there would be cascading negative impacts on the economy, for sure.  I did not go into that in my previous posts as that was not the original subject of the thread, though it is a very predictable destination of the thread.

4 minutes ago, BLS said:

I can't imagine why his channel didn't take off like a Space X flight.

Now see I had not considered this.  With that type of insight I would be surprised if he is not elected to congress soon.

I doubt it will ever reach $7. But if it does we’ll absorb it. Not gonna change our support of Ukraine. We’ll suck it up. 

Hopefully it will convince politicians, particularly reluctant Democrats, to support an investment into nuclear energy. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

I doubt it will ever reach $7. But if it does we’ll absorb it. Not gonna change our support of Ukraine. We’ll suck it up.

Oh really?  Just wait if it goes to $7, every republican candidate for president will start pounding Biden for high gas prices and tying it to Ukraine.

18 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Oh really?  Just wait if it goes to $7, every republican candidate for president will start pounding Biden for high gas prices and tying it to Ukraine.

I hope that happens. But Republicans aren’t that stupid. They will pound Biden for sure, and discuss gas prices for sure, but they won’t disavow Ukraine. A few wackos will but not the rest. 

36 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

I think it absolutely can.  The elasticity factor will come back, but in a more severe way. Biden's move to quiet discontent by leveraging the oil reserves cannot go on forever.  And eventually the chickens come home to roost.  The problem is that he never dealt with the problem.   This is pure stupidity and borders on irresponsibility.

In the background we know the problem has worsened. Moreover, behaviors have not changed and his illusion of a non=problem will create a snap-back effect.  The short term hit will be severe before it planes back out into the same place it was before he used the oil reserve to hide it. 

So what is about to happen is an absolute smack down for the lower classes.....for perhaps a few months, before simple misery is revisited upon them. And its all on Biden......

13 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Never underestimate a smoker.

Vile human trash

Biden administration moves ahead with massive Gulf of Mexico drilling auction, weeks after approving Willow Project

Biden admin is quietly unfocking some of its stupid acts of the past.  Of course the green terrorist folks are unhappy, and that is a good sign.

I give Biden credit.  Understanding how you have made a mistake and changing it up to do the right thing is a good sign. 

49 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Biden administration moves ahead with massive Gulf of Mexico drilling auction, weeks after approving Willow Project

Biden admin is quietly unfocking some of its stupid acts of the past.  Of course the green terrorist folks are unhappy, and that is a good sign.

I give Biden credit.  Understanding how you have made a mistake and changing it up to do the right thing is a good sign. 

Leases were getting approved before, that is not why prices spiked.

It was because the number of oilfield workers laid off and switching industries along with the large number of drilling rigs cold stack and finally the oilfield service companies quit making the tools needed to drill.

The rapid downturn of the oil industry is what caused oil prices to spike.

13 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Leases were getting approved before, that is not why prices spiked.

It was because the number of oilfield workers laid off and switching industries along with the large number of drilling rigs cold stack and finally the oilfield service companies quit making the tools needed to drill.

The rapid downturn of the oil industry is what caused oil prices to spike.

Yes, leases were being provided....and that was they way the Democrats pretended it wasn't them. But when it came time to actually tap those fields the Biden regulation factor kicked in, along with legal block after legal block...and man, it was VERY effective.

So Biden et al could squeeze the hell out of the market, raise prices so as to make green energy more "cost effective" and likely to be embraced.  All the while, blaming the oil companies for the rise in costs, villifying THEM.....when behind it all....was Democrats.....smirking gleefully....

10 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Yes, leases were being provided....and that was they way the Democrats pretended it wasn't them. But when it came time to actually tap those fields the Biden regulation factor kicked in, along with legal block after legal block...and man, it was VERY effective.

So Biden et al could squeeze the hell out of the market, raise prices so as to make green energy more "cost effective" and likely to be embraced.  All the while, blaming the oil companies for the rise in costs, villifying THEM.....when behind it all....was Democrats.....smirking gleefully....

It was not the oil companies fault nor was it biden's fault. The issue was just a perfect storm of economic circumstances. There were no restrictions on being able to tap fields that were already provided.

Oil prices went negative in March/April 2020, and the layoffs in the oil industry happened just after that. This is also when the oil companies cold stacked their rigs. The price spike did not happen until summer 2022.

When the prices were starting to go up the oil companies tried to get drilling again, however at this point all of their equipment had been sitting around unused, and they did not have people to get it up and running quickly since they laid off a large part of the workforce 2 years prior. Leave a diesel truck in your driveway for 2 years and see what happens. It takes time to get it running.

They had the leases to drill and there was no regulations preventing US oil production from ramping up.

None of the oil price issues going up, or going back down have anything to do with Biden or any politician.

7 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It was not the oil companies fault nor was it biden's fault. The issue was just a perfect storm of economic circumstances. There were no restrictions on being able to tap fields that were already provided.

Oil prices went negative in March/April 2020, and the layoffs in the oil industry happened just after that. This is also when the oil companies cold stacked their rigs. The price spike did not happen until summer 2022.

When the prices were starting to go up the oil companies tried to get drilling again, however at this point all of their equipment had been sitting around unused, and they did not have people to get it up and running quickly since they laid off a large part of the workforce 2 years prior. Leave a diesel truck in your driveway for 2 years and see what happens. It takes time to get it running.

They had the leases to drill and there was no regulations preventing US oil production from ramping up.

None of the oil price issues going up, or going back down have anything to do with Biden or any politician.

We can agree to disagree as to the source of the issue, and just how it came to pass that production was suffocated in the post-Trump world.  :cheers:

5 minutes ago, RLLD said:

We can agree to disagree as to the source of the issue, and just how it came to pass that production was suffocated in the post-Trump world.  :cheers:

One more factor is that 90% of US land wells are now fracked. This is important because fracked wells have good production for a much shorter timeline than more traditionally produced wells.

You have to keep drilling and fracking just to keep production levels steady in the US. When the number rig count dropped to half(below link, set to 5 years). This was not enough to sustain the current level of production due to how fast fracked wells lose production capacity.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/total-rigs

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

You mean "Biden's handlers". He doesn't even know his own name at this point. 

Call me a skeptic, but I have a feeling that this all goes down in flames if Biden or another democrat takes the White House. 

2 hours ago, lod001 said:

You mean "Biden's handlers". He doesn't even know his own name at this point. 

Correct. Dr Jill is probably running the country at this point.