Sign in to follow this  
TimHauck

Silicon Valley Bank

This thread seems like a good summary based on what I’ve read without getting into too much politics (I saw Tucker try to blame it on woke DEI policies, and libs try to blame it on Trump relaxing regulations).

The tech bubble burst.  Whatever. They don’t need to worry Biden said just learn to code!!!

Now that it’s established that it’s Trumps fault, let’s move on. Once again, the insiders got out before the spit hit the fan. And we reward these people for taking “risks”.  Not really. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Let’s Go Brandon 

It’s Biden’s fault a bank apparently didn’t know how to manage its portfolio?

I want everyone to close their eyes and imagine....for 30 seconds....that they have a metal helmet on their head.....i bet they will feel invincible

• Haha 2

Learn to mine

3 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Biden sucks at everything. 

Making foolish loans to tech startups would probably have been one of them if he had chosen a career in banking. 

Biden is responsible for the inflation that fouled the economy, not the piss-poor response to it of this bank.

2 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Making foolish loans to tech startups would probably have been one of them if he had chosen a career in banking. 

Biden is responsible for the inflation that fouled the economy, not the piss-poor response to it of this bank.

Biden is maybe 10% responsible 

29 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Those sales were planned before this all went down.  You're ignorant 

They probably didn't know the bank would go under, but they likely knew their liquidity wasn't ideal...

34 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Go woke go broke, strikes again. 

The US in a nutshell. I wonder if the left will ever wake up to reality.

36 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Go woke go broke, strikes again. 

It's hilarious how wrong you are about everything, this one included

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

They probably didn't know the bank would go under, but they likely knew their liquidity wasn't ideal...

Most of their comp comes in the way of stock and they routinely sell off shares for either diversification or just spending.

To  my eyes the problem was "created" in 2020-2021, when the bank mismanaged its portfolio and over-extended its risk in the arena of start ups. 

They were more focused on the risk of not being woke enough than they were on actual risk. 

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They were more focused on the risk of not being woke enough than they were on actual risk. 

It's best if you sit these topics out.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RLLD said:

To  my eyes the problem was "created" in 2020-2021, when the bank mismanaged its portfolio and over-extended its risk in the arena of start ups. 

Maybe.  Worse is that they invested in long term debt when interest rates were too low

25 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

It's best if you sit these topics out.

Sure.  You’re the guy that told us shareholders in a public company have no say.  Lol. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Sure.  You’re the guy that told us shareholders in a public company have no say.  Lol. 

They don't.

They gave out bonuses hours before it went under. Maddoff did that too.  Fock you depositors.  They ain’t so woke after all. 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They gave out bonuses hours before it went under. Maddoff did that too.  Fock you depositors.  They ain’t so woke after all. 

They were the annual bonuses that were planned to be paid out all year.

See this is the problem, you have your idiots like strike and HT that know nothing about the corporate world, or the real world for that matter, and the repeat the BS clickbait that the media feeds them.  The execs cashed out, bonuses were paid, fry these people.  Smh.

This wasn't a grift, and there is no taxpayer bail out.  It's a mismanagement and a panic bank run.

Hasn't anyone ever seen it's a wonderful life?

Focking idiots.

2 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

They were the annual bonuses that were planned to be paid out all year.

See this is the problem, you have your idiots like strike and HT that know nothing about the corporate world, or the real world for that matter, and the repeat the BS clickbait that the media feeds them.  The execs cashed out, bonuses were paid, fry these people.  Smh.

This wasn't a grift, and there is no taxpayer bail out.  It's a mismanagement and a panic bank run.

Hasn't anyone ever seen it's a wonderful life?

Focking idiots.

Yeah. They were bound legally to pay those bonuses. Also, Bonuses for what ? Sucking? 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

Liberals blame Trump for Silicon Valley Bank collapse citing 2018 bipartisan bill

Trump signed bipartisan legislation rolling back parts of Dodd-Frank in 2018

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/liberals-blame-trump-silicon-valley-bank-collapse-citing-2018-bipartisan-bill

It's dumb to blame trump, or Biden, or being woke.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yeah. They were bound legally to pay those bonuses. Also, Bonuses for what ? Sucking? 

Oh HT, so dumb, so completely ignorant.  Do you need me to explain corporate compensation to you?

12 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Oh HT, so dumb, so completely ignorant.  Do you need me to explain corporate compensation to you?

Nope. Salary and bonus are two different things. Goldman Sachs just drastically cut their bonuses based on projected lower profit. Why didn’t this crew of woketards do the same? Higher interest rates caught them by surprise? GTFO.  

I was talking to some people last night who work with start up companies who are going to be hurt by this. Even if they are not working directly with this bank, other banks are sure to tighten their loan restrictions and limits as a result of this mess. 

Here’s the part I don’t understand. I get that this bank had some woke practices so naturally some conservatives don’t like it. But is there a connection between those practices and the bank’s failure? How does that work? 

5 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Those sales were planned before this all went down.  You're ignorant 

He gave notice of making the sale on 1/26 as he was legally required to do.   Their stock was plunging even before the bank run.  A year ago it was selling for $550 and had been steadily declining ever since.   One of the main reasons for the bank run was that SVB had announced they were trying raise 2 Billion in cash.  You don't think this guy knew they were in financial trouble back in January and decided to sell some stock before it went down further?  Then you're an idiot.

4 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Most of their comp comes in the way of stock and they routinely sell off shares for either diversification or just spending.

He was paid 2.6 million in salary and bonus last year.  He didn't need the money.  And I'm not b*tching about his salary/bonus.  That's normal for an executive.  But it calls in to question his recent stock sale.  Note that he had another 1.1 million dollar sale that he made for tax purposes.  I'm not even b*tching about that one.  Again, that's pretty normal for the reasons you cited.  But the 3.5 million one has very questionable timing.

4 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Maybe.  Worse is that they invested in long term debt when interest rates were too low

Right.  And this guy would have known that and seen the trend of their stock going down and down.  If I were him, and it were legal to do so, I would have done exactly what he did.  And it was a legal sale.  I'm not complaining about it being illegal.  But it doesn't change the fact that the rich get richer. 

15 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I was talking to some people last night who work with start up companies who are going to be hurt by this. Even if they are not working directly with this bank, other banks are sure to tighten their loan restrictions and limits as a result of this mess. 

Here’s the part I don’t understand. I get that this bank had some woke practices so naturally some conservatives don’t like it. But is there a connection between those practices and the bank’s failure? How does that work? 

No, there wasn't.   HT is wrong saying that.  As GB mentioned they had a very poor investment strategy.  It wasn't woke policies that killed them. 

Unrelated to this incident, as far as woke policies at corporations causing poor financial performance, ESG policies have been shown to have a poor ROI.  They probably won't single handedly kill a corporation but when a company dedicates itself to ESG investment practices they aren't doing what's best financially for their shareholders.

14 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

While Silicon Valley Bank collapsed, top executive pushed ‘woke’ programs

https://nypost.com/2023/03/11/silicon-valley-bank-pushed-woke-programs-ahead-of-collapse/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

While Silicon Valley Bank collapsed, top executive pushed ‘woke’ programs

https://nypost.com/2023/03/11/silicon-valley-bank-pushed-woke-programs-ahead-of-collapse/

Which one of those "woke" programs mentioned in that article caused this bank's demise?  I bet it was the LGBTQ+ blog they started!!!  I mean, blogs have a long history of taking down even the largest corporations.