Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Austin Ekeler Seeking a Trade

That would be pretty crazy.  He doesn't seem like the type to hold out, though, so I'm not sure what motivation the Chargers would have to trade him.  

2 minutes ago, nobody said:

That would be pretty crazy.  He doesn't seem like the type to hold out, though, so I'm not sure what motivation the Chargers would have to trade him.  

well, he has told them he wants a trade.   do you want a guy in your dressing room who doesnt wanna be there?

just sayin

Just now, Ray_T said:

well, he has told them he wants a trade.   do you want a guy in your dressing room who doesnt wanna be there?

just sayin

I get that, but if they let him walk in free agency, they'll probably get a 3rd round compensatory if they don't make a splashy signing themselves, so they probably need to get a 4th back for him at least to give a team the right to give a runningback a big contract which no one wants to do.

I don't know where this is going, but it's hard to think he's gonna end up in a better situation than he's in already, at least in terms of fantasy production

1 hour ago, polecatt said:

I don't know where this is going, but it's hard to think he's gonna end up in a better situation than he's in already, at least in terms of fantasy production

maybe there is more going on here.  Maybe its not just about money.    But it probably is.

I speculate that he is sicking of losing to teams after being up 30 points at half.

2 hours ago, LaChup said:

I speculate that he is sicking of losing to teams after being up 30 points at half.

I get it.

but its easier to fix a crappy D than a crappy Offense.

Defensive players are far more likely to make an early impact if they have talent.   Offensive players more often require a couple years.

so a first round pick on a defender could make a real difference for this team.   or they can package a 2nd or third with their own to move up in the draft and take that defender they need.

This team is not far off.   if they can be a little patient.

that said, I still feel this is more about money and ego

Can't imagine any team that has a shot at Bijan Robinson or Gibbs would want to trade and then pay up for Ekeler. 

On 3/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, Ray_T said:

maybe there is more going on here.  Maybe its not just about money.    But it probably is.

It's the guy's one chance for a big pay day, it's definitely the money

• Like 1

its obviously the money, as it should be. Chargers can replace him although no rookie RB is a sure thing.

For fantasy purposes, I don't see any situation better for him. For real life, probably a dozen if he can get paid or better chance at a title or get on a team that can draft a competent #2 to take some of the load off. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, polecatt said:

I think it's a real bad time for his "chance" of a big pay day. Unless someone thinks they can win now paying him $12M a year. :dunno:

14 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I think it's a real bad time for his "chance" of a big pay day. Unless someone thinks they can win now paying him $12M a year. :dunno:

there seems to be a crazy number of RB's available on the open market and the Titans appear to be shopping Henry.  So yeah, not the best timing to sign a contract when there are lots of alternatives out there.

granted, he appears to be better than all the alternatives other than Maybe Henry but Henry doesnt have much tread left in the tires due to his age.   so he is not a long term solution for anyone.   Probably just a 1 or 2 year quick fix.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, polecatt said:

On 3/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, WhiteWonder said:

its obviously the money, as it should be. Chargers can replace him although no rookie RB is a sure thing.

For fantasy purposes, I don't see any situation better for him. For real life, probably a dozen if he can get paid or better chance at a title or get on a team that can draft a competent #2 to take some of the load off. 

I think you guys are right, it is about the money.  I think he's going to try and pull a LeVeon Bell, a year early.  Bell didn't sit out until he was a FA and the Steelers tagged him.  I think Ekeler is hoping to avoid that and get the Chargers to trade him.  The problem for Ekeler is that he's put the Chargers in a position without leverage... other than Ekeler himself.  Teams are also generally willing to overpay (cash), to get a player, but they're less likely to do that if they have to give up assets.  In this case, the assets are likely to be multiple draft picks.

Right now, McCaffrey is the highest paid RB in the league at $16M and #10 (well #8-#10), are the 3 guys who are tagged (Pollard, Jacobs, & Barkley).  Ekeler is sitting at $6M.  He's likely looking for a deal that putting him the top 10 highest paid guys, so like $12M (guessing).  The issue he's going to run into is that while there may be a team willing to pay him $12M AAV, they may not be willing to do that, AND part with a 2nd and 4th round pick.  My guess is that unless a team offers at least a 2nd, the Chargers would rather just let him elect to sit out a year and get the 3rd rd compensatory pick the following year, and save the $6M they were supposed to pay him.  I mean, Ekeler already put them in the position to have to draft an RB this year already, so it's not like the Chargers are behind the 8-ball.

When Bell chose to sit out and miss a year, he was 26 years old and had 1540 touches.  Ekeler is only at 1200 touches, but he's also 28 years old.  I think teams may be a bit weary of offering him a lot of money AND part with multiple picks.  I think it's in his best interest to go out there and play.  Put up another good season and hope he stay's healthy.  Otherwise, the money he wants and the money he's offered are likely to be pretty far off.

• Like 1

I'd be shocked if any team would give a 28yo RB a new multi-year contract at $10M AAV.  Ekeler's best-case scenario is to play well this year so that next year the Chargers tag him.  If he doesn't get tagged, some team might be willing to give him $10M for one year, but likely not multiple years unless it was all voidable or contract closer to what Miles Sanders or Jamaal Williams got this year.

Ekeler real mad runningback aren't making more money.  

Of course, all the runningbacks that feel underpaid could just leave the game, but, of course, very few players are going to walk away from millions, so at the end of the day, I guess they're paid enough.