The Real timschochet

If Trump is indicted will it help him win the GOP nomination?

Per news reporting Trunp faces two possible state  indictments that could happen any day now: from Atlanta for interfering in the Georgia election results of 2020, and from New York for having given Stormy Daniels hush money from his 2016 campaign. I am not making any predictions if and when these indictments will actually occur. Nor will I offer an opinion on their legitimacy until they do occur and we get to learn what the actual, specific charges are. My question is, if one or both of these happen how will it affect his campaign for the Republican nomination? 

My own feeling is it will strongly, perhaps decisively, help him win the nomination. I base this on two reasons: 

1. Any indictment will put Trump back in the center of the news where he will largely remain all throughout the legal process which could run as long as the election cycle. 

2. The conventional wisdom is that the MAGA loving base of the Republican Party, weary of all the drama that Trump brings, will switch over to Ron DeSantis because he offers most of Trump’s policies without Trump. But I don’t think so. I think this might have been true, for some, prior to Trump’s indictment. But I believe a Trump indictment will cause these folks not only to rise to his defense but to make them loyal: they will view a switch to DeSantis as a betrayal of MAGA. I think this POV might become so strong that DeSantis might even not run in the first place. 

Thoughts? 

In every case I can think of, when a politician is indicted, they lose a lot of public support.  I would have to think it will happen to Trump as well.  However we are in uncharted waters because a president has never been indicted.  Its a bridge no-one wants to cross because once that door is open, ex-presidents of both parties are going to be fair game to be investigated for the rest of their lives, which is bad because it likely dramatically lowers the chance that competent people will seek the office.  Its better to hide in a corporation or congress than be exposed like that for all eternity.

I mean, once Trump is indicted, you'll probably have the other side digging forever into Obama's finances.  Maybe they find something to indict Obama.  They will look into Sasha and Malia's finances.  Maybe Barack gave illegal cash to them.  It will never end.  But that is what is coming if Trump is indicted.  You might be overjoyed your enemy Trump is indicted, but it sets in motion events which put Sasha and Malia in prison for 10 years.  And then the only one willing to be president is someone like Fetterman.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

You might be overjoyed your enemy Trump is indicted, but it sets in motion events which put Sasha and Malia in prison for 10 years. 

Happy to be regarded as crazy by you. 

4 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Maybe. Do you have an opinion on the question I raised? 

nope don't really care one way or another

both these issues mean zero to me

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

Happy to be regarded as crazy by you. 

what im saying is very real.  they leave ex-presidents alone because they know it can boomerang against them.

in fact the entire reason we created the entity called a "corporation" is to limit liability for entrepreneurs, because it they are 100% liable then no-one will start a business and your nation sucks.

but it is not surprising that you dont understand not believe the system of limited liability exists because you are nuts.

I might join in on any mostly peaceful protests that may break out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I might join in on any mostly peaceful protests that may break out. 

I was in China and never got moar free stuff, but I'll be ready this time, especially if it's for a good cause.

I don't think it helps that he's indicted but I don't think it hurts too much either. Trump fans, including myself, see him as the target of partisan witch hunt.

• Like 1

I'd vote for DeSantis in the primary if he runs and it has nothing to do with any charges that are levied against Trump.  It's irrelevant though because when it comes to the primaries, NJ votes in June and the outcome has already been decided.

That said, if Trump wins the primary, I don't care if he's in jail, I'm still voting for him in the general election because anyone the Democrats put forward, would be a worse option.

It might. I cannot be sure.

In their zeal to incessantly attack the guy the liberals have inadvertently tapped into the sense of "put upon" that a swath of people feel in this nation.  So you have this segment of society out there who feels that they are always under attack, so there is this guy they feel they can relate to.

I think the media sorta figured that out after the 2016 election when they reflected upon how their attacks on him seemed to have elevated him.

What then followed was a steady stream of Democrat-fabricated attacks that people could see through. 

So there is a group of people out there who will likely vote for him no matter what.

32 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That said, if Trump wins the primary, I don't care if he's in jail, I'm still voting for him in the general election because anyone the Democrats put forward, would be a worse option.

Way to keep an open mind!

28 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

It has more to do with the direction of the Democrat party than anything else.  That's their fault, not mine.

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

I might propose that we are often face with the seeking the lesser of two evils, and that is pointedly true in politics.

At this time in our history the Democrat party represents a tangible threat to the fabric of our society as well as our well-being as a nation.  This cannot be over stated. It is not simply the radical elements, it is the allowance for those radical elements to have sway over the party and its actions, and this is not tolerable. 

So in some sense we can see how radicalization, within both parties, is highlighting those individuals who are assiduously opposed to the ideas of others, no matter what.  Those left in the middle are left with an often distasteful situation.

As with the last election.  Do you vote for the dooshbag, but effective,  Republican or the incompetent, but palatable,  Democrat......  its disheartening. 

8 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I might propose that we are often face with the seeking the lesser of two evils, and that is pointedly true in politics.

At this time in our history the Democrat party represents a tangible threat to the fabric of our society as well as our well-being as a nation.  This cannot be over stated. It is not simply the radical elements, it is the allowance for those radical elements to have sway over the party and its actions, and this is not tolerable. 

So in some sense we can see how radicalization, within both parties, is highlighting those individuals who are assiduously opposed to the ideas of others, no matter what.  Those left in the middle are left with an often distasteful situation.

As with the last election.  Do you vote for the dooshbag, but effective,  Republican or the incompetent, but palatable,  Democrat......  its disheartening. 

Least you aren't overstating anything.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Least you aren't overstating anything.  

😁 😋

Well, I guess I could say the world will freeze over as the climate nazi's did back in the 70's,,,,,or that it will over heat like they are today......    Or that Trump would end the world etc....

It is sorta fun to make a caricature of reality... I get why liberals like it so much

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Per news reporting Trunp faces two possible state  indictments that could happen any day now: from Atlanta for interfering in the Georgia election results of 2020, and from New York for having given Stormy Daniels hush money from his 2016 campaign. I am not making any predictions if and when these indictments will actually occur. Nor will I offer an opinion on their legitimacy until they do occur and we get to learn what the actual, specific charges are. My question is, if one or both of these happen how will it affect his campaign for the Republican nomination? 

My own feeling is it will strongly, perhaps decisively, help him win the nomination. I base this on two reasons: 

1. Any indictment will put Trump back in the center of the news where he will largely remain all throughout the legal process which could run as long as the election cycle. 

2. The conventional wisdom is that the MAGA loving base of the Republican Party, weary of all the drama that Trump brings, will switch over to Ron DeSantis because he offers most of Trump’s policies without Trump. But I don’t think so. I think this might have been true, for some, prior to Trump’s indictment. But I believe a Trump indictment will cause these folks not only to rise to his defense but to make them loyal: they will view a switch to DeSantis as a betrayal of MAGA. I think this POV might become so strong that DeSantis might even not run in the first place. 

Thoughts? 

My thoughts? You are focking moron. A liberal, poosay, douche, piece of lying Sh1t buffoon. Why you keep trying to post and act like people like you is beyond me. Like with Biden, we’ve seen through your bullsh1t and your lies

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Any chance this actually happens?

Absolutely. He'll be sharing a prison cell with Bill Gates.

9 hours ago, WhiskeyCash said:

My thoughts? You are focking moron. A liberal, poosay, douche, piece of lying Sh1t buffoon. Why you keep trying to post and act like people like you is beyond me. Like with Biden, we’ve seen through your bullsh1t and your lies

It’s probably a flaw of mine that I actually enjoy posts like these. 

9 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Absolutely. He'll be sharing a prison cell with Bill Gates.

Now that would be great

Twitter's Elon Musk predicts Trump will win re-election in 'landslide victory' if arrested

Musk predicted a 'landslide victory' if Trump is put in handcuffs

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/twitters-elon-musk-predicts-trump-will-win-re-election-landslide-victory-if-arrested

Trump-Stormy Daniels settlement at heart of potential NY DA indictment didn't violate campaign law: FEC expert

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-stormy-daniels-settlement-heart-of-potential-ny-da-indictment-didnt-violate-campaign-law-fec-expert