Sign in to follow this  
kozmiq

Any Gin drinkers here other than Martinis

What's your drink and what is the recipe.

monkey 47, rocks, splash of soda

Just now, Bier Meister said:

monkey 47, rocks, splash of soda

How many oz of Gin

32 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

How many oz of Gin

eye ball it.... maybe 3-4 oz

18 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

I’ll mix a gin and tonic occasionally.

How much Gin and how much Tonic .. any ice ?

I'd like to know the correct ratio too.  I just finished the last of the gin I have, just mixed it with Mt Dew and ice.  

Traditional is 2/1 (tonic to gin)

when I do a g&t, I just use a splash of tonic

14 minutes ago, kozmiq said:

How much Gin and how much Tonic .. any ice ?

I don’t measure. 70% gin/30% tonic…on ice.

"Always drink gin with a mark, kid. He can't tell if you cut it."

'

Fill glass with ice

Fill 1/2 with gin

Fill the rest with a 1:1 mix of Schweppes Diet Tonic and Lemon LaCroix.

Tonic is too sweet, so the bitter la croix cuts it perfectly.  I usually get an approx $25 handle of gin at Total Wine.  Hadley & Sons, Dover Strait, G&J Greenall are some of my choices of late.  I don't need the high end/overly botanical stuff.

10 hours ago, Drizzay said:

Fill glass with ice

Fill 1/2 with gin

Fill the rest with a 1:1 mix of Schweppes Diet Tonic and Lemon LaCroix.

Tonic is too sweet, so the bitter la croix cuts it perfectly.  I usually get an approx $25 handle of gin at Total Wine.  Hadley & Sons, Dover Strait, G&J Greenall are some of my choices of late.  I don't need the high end/overly botanical stuff.

Interesting, I might try that LaCroix thing next time we have some on hand.  :cheers: 

For tonic we use SodaStream diet tonic syrup.  Add it to sparkling water and you can put as little or much as you want.  And it never goes flat since we just add it to Pelligrino (which my wife loves and always has on hand).

My favorite gin drinks are versions of Negroni.  The regular Negroni is gin, sweet vermouth, and aperol or campari (bitter).  Traditional recipe is 1 part each, but I tend to do more of a 3:2:1 in the order I listed them.

Lately though I've been doing a White Negroni (being racist and all), which uses Lillet Blanc as the sweet and Cocchi Americano as the bitter.  You can also use white/dry vermouth or Suze as the sweet and bitter.  Similar ratio.

Usually I'll cut it with some tonic for a more refresing.  Something like:

- Fill highball glass with ice

- add 1.5 oz gin, 1 oz Lillet Blanc, 0.5 oz Cocchi Americano (or try 1:1:1 to start and see if you like it)

- fill with (diet) tonic.  Probably about a 1:1 or 1.5:1 tonic/booze ratio for the glasses we use

- squeeze a lime wedge

For gin, I've generally used Greenall as an everyday which is great for the price, but lately I've been spoiling myself with Citadelle which is really tasty (and not too expensive).  I don't drink that often any  more (and not only gin) so it lasts a while for me.  It's more floral than Greenall, so depends what you like.  :cheers: 

8 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks @posty!

:lol: I could have added that I’d rather drink gasoline. :dunno:

12 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

:lol: I could have added that I’d rather drink gasoline. :dunno:

Interesting.  Do you drink other liquors?  

I've gone in and out of gin throughout my life; currently in an "in" phase.  If I drink liquor it's usually gin, whiskey/bourbon, or recently I've gotten into cognac/brandy as a standalone sipper.  :cheers: 

Now, that, I got me some Seagram's gin
Everybody got they cups, but they ain't chipped in :banana:

37 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Interesting.  Do you drink other liquors?  

I've gone in and out of gin throughout my life; currently in an "in" phase.  If I drink liquor it's usually gin, whiskey/bourbon, or recently I've gotten into cognac/brandy as a standalone sipper.  :cheers: 

Tequila or vodka. Not straight, though. I’ll do my version of a margarita or a martini and that’s about it. I tend to stick to wine.

6 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Tequila or vodka. Not straight, though. I’ll do my version of a margarita or a martini and that’s about it. I tend to stick to wine.

Gin to me is like a flavored vodka.  Straight it can be harsh I guess, like any liquor, but diluted in a G&T, I don't think so.  With the different styles I also think it is the most interesting of the lighter liquors.  But to each his/her own.  :cheers: