Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Gotta love corporate IT policies

I remember the good old days when getting a new desktop or laptop was exciting and fun.  New computer with better capabilities!!!  FOCK YEAH!!! 

Fast forward to today when I absolutely dread getting a new computer. Thanks to increasing corporate lockdown policies it's a b1tch and a half to re-establish my development environment on a new machine.

I understand how locking down machines for secretaries and management that only do Outlook/Word/Excel/PowerPoint works fine.  Unfortunately my job is to develop sh1t. :mad:

Sorry.  Rant over. I've only got one beer left so I need to go to bed soon. 

Disclaimer: do not share this email because I think this disclaimer somehow gives me protection from whatever stupid sh1t I say. 

14 minutes ago, DonS said:

I remember the good old days when getting a new desktop or laptop was exciting and fun.  New computer with better capabilities!!!  FOCK YEAH!!! 

Fast forward to today when I absolutely dread getting a new computer. Thanks to increasing corporate lockdown policies it's a b1tch and a half to re-establish my development environment on a new machine.

I understand how locking down machines for secretaries and management that only do Outlook/Word/Excel/PowerPoint works fine.  Unfortunately my job is to develop sh1t. :mad:

Disclaimer: do not share this email because I'm a kvnt. 

I'm with you buddy.  As a developer myself I have to go thru the same sh#t.  I usually have to put my foot down and tell them ZERO work gets done unless I get what I need as a developer.

Most of the time that works.

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I'm with you buddy.  As a developer myself I have to go thru the same sh#t.  I usually have to put my foot down and tell them ZERO work gets done unless I get what I need as a developer.

Most of the time that works.

We have so many hoops to jump through at my job.  The major kick in the balls is that after FINALLY nailing down the copy-paste justification as to why we need to have local admin privileges on our machine they decide to implement some new scheme that ultimately focks us once again. 

• Like 1

You know, normally I'd jump right in and agree with you.  However, as someone who's been working 70+ hours per week for the last month at a major corporation that got hacked by a ransomware attack that destroyed our entire network I will simply say that it's a complicated discussion and I understand both sides.  I"m not happy about the ADDITIONAL security I'm hearing is going to be implemented going forward that is going to make my job a lot less convenient, but to a certain extent I understand why companies implement those types of policies.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:41 AM, DonS said:

Disclaimer: do not share this email because I think this disclaimer somehow gives me protection from whatever stupid sh1t I say. 

I got a new laptop not long ago. Had to configure a bunch of settings for SAP software. A lot more remote desktop work but still, a bunch of other settings/security crap on my work laptop. Depending on what project I am on and the various interfacing I need to do, it can be anything new I've never seen before.

On 3/18/2023 at 3:41 AM, DonS said:

Seriously...  The company I work for the security guy is a great guy, but he tries to lock down pretty much everything...  Plus he is always playing with new products, so if it does something that another one that we have doesn't, somehow we end up getting it, implementing it, locked down even more and our lives are even more hell...

I keep telling the other IT guys that he should just lock down everything on the internet and then open up what we need...  It would be quicker for sure...

On 3/18/2023 at 4:05 AM, DonS said:

We have so many hoops to jump through at my job.  The major kick in the balls is that after FINALLY nailing down the copy-paste justification as to why we need to have local admin privileges on our machine they decide to implement some new scheme that ultimately focks us once again. 

My favorite is we have to VPN in and then use MFA after we connect to VPN...  Then we remote desktop into our work machines, having to enter our password AGAIN...  We just entered the password to enter the VPN, did we just change the password in the five seconds from logging into VPN and then trying to RDP?

Don't blame IT for that.  Blame your coworkers.  

our stuff is all locked down, and before it was I never had a problem with malware or viruses on my workstation, but anytime I ever used a common computer it was obvious people were downloading and installing all kinds of dumb shìt. 

30 minutes ago, nobody said:

Don't blame IT for that.  Blame your coworkers.  

our stuff is all locked down, and before it was I never had a problem with malware or viruses on my workstation, but anytime I ever used a common computer it was obvious people were downloading and installing all kinds of dumb shìt. 

Exactly.  This is where relationship building comes in.  Make friends with IT, and once they see you're not a retarded d bag, they will give you admin access.

3 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Exactly.  This is where relationship building comes in.  Make friends with IT, and once they see you're not a retarded d bag, they will give you admin access.

If I only worked at a small place where I could "make friends with IT".  Damn I'd be like the VN hooker in Full Metal Jacket!   "Me so hornay to be allowed to effectively do my job.  Me love you long time.  Give you #1 fockie fockie."

Working at a large corporation and all these policies are set from up on high.  Everything goes through a ticketing system and God help you if you're ever forced to contact the "Help Desk" because they are usually worthless and don't have a clue.

As I had mentioned me and other team members have had local admin privileges for well over 10yrs after getting the appropriate policy exceptions.  This has worked just fine and simply had to resubmit for the exception whenever we'd get a new machine.  This allows developers to do their jobs while keeping other folks locked down.

They've now switched to a system involving being able to run certain  operations with an "elevated status".  Sounds good in theory, but in practice things don't always work as they believe it will so you spend a sh1t ton of time trying to debug where the installation failed. 

Thankfully I'm still local admin on my previous laptop so I can still fall back and use this while I attempt to "transition" to the new one.