Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

20 years later: the invasion of Iraq

Doesn’t seem like very long ago. Guess I’m getting older. 

I was for it. I believed Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. I was concerned about having to govern the country afterwards but I was still for it. I knew very few people that were opposed: mainly radical leftists of the Antifa variety. I didn’t know a single conservative who was opposed. There were some concerned liberals but not many. The nation was pretty united at the time. 

All that blood and treasure spent and spilled and Biden pissed it away in a matter of months. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

How did Biden piss away the war in Iraq? 

The Middle East. We’re out. China is in. Just like that, all it took was one compromised corrupt old fool being installed. 

I was for the enforcement of the ceasefire and the no fly zones.  Iraq had sued for peace and then clearly violated the terms.  That was enough for another ass-kicking. The additional justification meant to bring the world on board, the justification pertaining to WMD's and yellow cake uranium, I never bought and I predicted that would blow up in our face, politically.

I was against it from the get go and still think it was the most colossal foreign policy blunder of my lifetime. We’re still paying for it today. Any time someone tells me any other POTUS is the worst ever I wonder how that can be true when GWB exists.

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The Middle East. We’re out. China is in. Just like that, all it took was one compromised corrupt old fool being installed. 

China is playing old man Biden like a fiddle right now.  

I was all for it after being attacked. But I find it interesting that people who believed the lies to enter a war back then and found out the truth still support this corrupt war machine entering wars continually and think it’s for the best 

5 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

China is playing old man Biden like a fiddle right now.  

Imagine Xi brokering peace between Ukraine / Russia and then China swoops in as the influential one in Ukraine, gaining access to their resources? 

I opposed the war from the start. The people that actually hit us on 9/11 were in Afghanistan and a war in Iraq would be a distraction from that war, the real war.  I knew from my own time in service during the Gulf War how unprepared we were for urban warfare. I knew that if we toppled the regime, we'd have to govern/police the sh*thole and we weren't ready to be a police force either. It was obvious that Iraq didn't have WMD because they'd not used them against us in 1991 nor Iran earlier. It was all clearly bullsh*t.

Also, since every single member of the Bushtard regime that wanted the war, was themselves a bed-wetting draft dodger when it was their turn to serve in war, I had zero confidence in them from the start. The country was led by morons and the army was tasked with doing the impossible. One of the major reasons I left to teach overseas was worry that they'd draft not just 18 y/os but also prior service whose IRR time had expired (to their credit, they did neither). Those cowardly pieces of sh*t George W. Bush, D*ck Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and the rest, who were about to blow up my friends and former colleagues for no good reason could all fock right off. I wasn't joining their stupid-ass pointless war; I'd have been willing to go Afghanistan. I'm grateful to have fought in a war I believed in, rather than this stupid one.

"Finish the job." Fock off. We'd finished the job in 1991. Retard Bush proved Daddy Bush and Colin Powell were right all along.

• Like 1

I believed Colin Powell when he got up to make the case in front of the UN. Mistake. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Imagine Xi brokering peace between Ukraine / Russia and then China swoops in as the influential one in Ukraine, gaining access to their resources? 

What was the Obama quote about Biden again?

Barack Obama reportedly said: 'Don't underestimate Joe's ability to (expletive) things up'

August 16th, 3:23 PM EDT

https://www.cbs19news.com/story/42501205/barack-obama-reportedly-said-dont-underestimate-joes-ability-to-expletive-things-up

7 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

What was the Obama quote about Biden again?

Xi meets with Zelensky and tells him I’m president for life. Your sugar daddy over in the US might not be around much longer. Let’s make this work.  

I too was for the invasion based on 9/11 and the repeated violations by Sadam. I never believed the WMD claims. 

In the Navy at the time. Spent a lot of time in the Persian Gulf. Remember thinking we were damned if we did and damned if we didn't. How much of a nuisance would Saddam be in today"s world?  

They had to lie to get us into the first gulf war too. 

34 minutes ago, MDC said:

I was against it from the get go and still think it was the most colossal foreign policy blunder of my lifetime. We’re still paying for it today. Any time someone tells me any other POTUS is the worst ever I wonder how that can be true when GWB exists.

I guess you were not alive in 1979.  Because that abortion was far and away the biggest foreign policy blunder of my lifetime.   It is not even close to GWB.  

I was a 21 year old Marine and I was 100% supportive because I was young and dumb and thought the Middle East just needed a lil' Democracy.  I went to Kuwait for the invasion but never got sent into Iraq.

That war did more to damage the United States than anything I can think of in my lifetime. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing articles years ago about GWB visiting wounded troops at Walter Reed like he was some compassionate leader. He was a piece of sh!t that knowingly sent God knows how many Americans and Iraqis to their death because he wanted a legacy. No different than Putin. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Brad GLuckman said:

I was a 21 year old Marine and I was 100% supportive because I was young and dumb and thought the Middle East just needed a lil' Democracy.  I went to Kuwait for the invasion but never got sent into Iraq.

That war did more to damage the United States than anything I can think of in my lifetime. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing articles years ago about GWB visiting wounded troops at Walter Reed like he was some compassionate leader. He was a piece of sh!t that knowingly sent God knows how many Americans and Iraqis to their death because he wanted a legacy. No different than Putin. 

Same neocons are trying to get us into another war right now. Hopefully president Xi can broker a peace deal before that happens. 

14 minutes ago, Bert said:

I guess you were not alive in 1979.  Because that abortion was far and away the biggest foreign policy blunder of my lifetime.   It is not even close to GWB.  

I was 4. I stand by my assessment though. 4,400 US deaths and 30k wounded at a price tags of $2 trillion+ and we accomplished NOTHING. I’ll pop a cork when GWB and Cheney die.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brad GLuckman said:

Biden single handedly killed 13 marines. Now he's your hero.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, iam90sbaby said:

We should've wiped the middle east off the face of the earth a few decades ago.

100% agree...

57 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

They had to lie to get us into the first gulf war too. 

they had to lie to get us into every single war in our lifetime

yet this time Ukraine isnt a lie

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Iran? 

Or Russia invading afghanistan?

Or China invading vietnam?

Or Disco Demolition night?

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

they had to lie to get us into every single war in our lifetime

Granada: Never Forget. 

50 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Those of you who have posted who mentioned your service to this country, thank you. 

I feel really horrible for all of our men who were sold the lies of “protecting” our country that ultimately suffer from ptsd life long handicaps and death. They sell us the lie of becoming heroes and fighting for freedom only to sacrifice them as useless pawns and throw them on the streets when they return

i respect those who join and followed the ranks. But anyone at this point who joins the military quite frankly is dumb 

7 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

But anyone at this point who joins the military quite frankly is dumb 

Well your hero Trump apparently feels the same way. But I don’t believe this. I hope most people don’t. 

17 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

i respect those who join and followed the ranks. But anyone at this point who joins the military quite frankly is dumb 

What gives you that idea?  I'm a lifer who retired in the past couple years. The Military is a great opportunity, especially for young people who have almost no opportunities. I was able to make a career for myself that never would of happened. I pay no taxes, my entire family has free healthcare for life, I have 2 homes that are paid off and travel the World. Did I sacrifice, hell yes!!! Was it worth it?? Hell yes!!!

I think that's an ignorant statement. 

18 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Well your hero Trump apparently feels the same way. But I don’t believe this. I hope most people don’t. 

He does? 

11 minutes ago, League Champion said:

What gives you that idea?  I'm a lifer who retired in the past couple years. The Military is a great opportunity, especially for young people who have almost no opportunities. I was able to make a career for myself that never would of happened. I pay no taxes, my entire family has free healthcare for life, I have 2 homes that are paid off and travel the World. Did I sacrifice, hell yes!!! Was it worth it?? Hell yes!!!

I think that's an ignorant statement. 

I stated clearly why I think that. While I appreciate your sacrifice and desire to live your life. I stand by what I said. We are continually sold lies about how our military men are heroes. Yet when was the last time we actually treated them like that?  But hey we can send billions to Ukraine to support more war but we can’t do anything to help the millions of veterans that are here suffering and cast aside 

i couldn’t even tell you when the last time an American soldier died fighting for this country. Not in some stupid proxy war 

1 minute ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I stated clearly why I think that. While I appreciate your sacrifice and desire to live your life. I stand by what I said. We are continually sold lies about how our military men are heroes. Yet when was the last time we actually treated them like that?  But hey we can send billions to Ukraine to support more war but we can’t do anything to help the millions of veterans that are here suffering and cast aside 

i couldn’t even tell you when the last time an American soldier died fighting for this country. Not in some stupid proxy war 

Do you know what percentage of our Military will ever see a battlefield?? Not everyone in the Military is a soldier, the super mass majority will never sniff a battlefield. Probably 90+ percent of our military is logistics. 

12 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Do you know what percentage of our Military will ever see a battlefield?? Not everyone in the Military is a soldier, the super mass majority will never sniff a battlefield. Probably 90+ percent of our military is logistics. 

yah I do get it, but I long for the day where our military isnt the global police.  I don't think a single american should ever die on foreign soil, unless we are attacked at home

4 hours ago, crackattack said:

I too was for the invasion based on 9/11 and the repeated violations by Sadam. I never believed the WMD claims. 

This is where I'm at.  And still am.  Where I differ is I'm not a fan of "nation building."  It's not our job to fix your country.  We took out Saddam and his "military" with barely any effort or troops on the ground.  We should have taken care of business, gotten out, and simply given a warning about what would happen if the next leader pulled the same sh*t.  Just like Afghanistan. 

9 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

yah I do get it, but I long for the day where our military isnt the global police.  I don't think a single american should ever die on foreign soil, unless we are attacked at home

Considering how many "conflicts" we've been in since Vietnam, it's not many. I do agree that it's too many nonetheless, it always is. 

3 minutes ago, Strike said:

This is where I'm at.  And still am.  Where I differ is I'm not a fan of "nation building."  It's not our job to fix your country.  We took out Saddam and his "military" with barely any effort or troops on the ground.  We should have taken care of business, gotten out, and simply given a warning about what would happen if the next leader pulled the same sh*t.  Just like Afghanistan. 

I don’t necessarily disagree but…

Nation building did work in West Germany and Japan. 

5 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but…

Nation building did work in West Germany and Japan. 

Those are civilized countries.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MDC said:

I was 4. I stand by my assessment though. 4,400 US deaths and 30k wounded at a price tags of $2 trillion+ and we accomplished NOTHING. I’ll pop a cork when GWB and Cheney die.

Fair enough.  I will pop a cork when Carter finally dies.  He is proof only the good die young no matter how much good he tried to do to save his soul after he was no longer president.