Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Good Morning

This has to be one of my favorite sports weekends of the year.  Love watching the games, love seeing the underdogs win(mostly, more on that), just the craziness of the March Madness. Didn't like losing 2 of my final four in the 2nd round, but still have Bama as the champ, so there's still a chance. Woke up to 3 inches of snow on Saturday. Got it cleaned up, sun melted most of it away yesterday. Isn't tomorrow the first day of spring?  Cmon with it.

On this day in 2020 After 20 years with the New England Patriots, six-time Super Bowl winning quarterback Tom Brady officially agrees to move to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on a 2-year $50m guaranteed deal --- never heard of him?

Every geek, have a great week. 

Morning Mike. You can keep all the snow. Do not want to jinx NYC so I won’t say anything more then that. 

:wave:

Good morning Mike and all!  Had my second weekend of not being allowed to do much because of surgery; thankfully I could watch all of my March Madness bets lose (although I did earn some free bets which I turned into a big parlay win on the Suns).

I taught my wife how to mow the lawn yesterday (heh heh); youngest daughter came over later and said "ooh, grass looks nice!" and looked at me.  I was :cry: and pointed to the wife.  

Making matters worse, we did our taxes and we owe bigly.  :( 

But we did help the daughter get her resume in good shape.  She is the one who did the fashion internship in NYC last year; she may go back full time but nothing is confirmed, and her teacher is recommending her for a similar job here in Phoenix.  All things equal I think she should try NYC; now is the time to do it, when she is young and unattached.  I've often wondered how my career would have gone if I had moved to Silicon Valley for my career instead of staying in Phoenix.  I'd probably be super liberal and agreeing with Mike all the time.  :D 

More rain due this week in sunny Phoenix, damn that global climate something.  Wildflowers are beautiful tho.

Have a great week geeks!

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Good morning Mike and all!  Had my second weekend of not being allowed to do much because of surgery; thankfully I could watch all of my March Madness bets lose (although I did earn some free bets which I turned into a big parlay win on the Suns).

I taught my wife how to mow the lawn yesterday (heh heh); youngest daughter came over later and said "ooh, grass looks nice!" and looked at me.  I was :cry: and pointed to the wife.  

Making matters worse, we did our taxes and we owe bigly.  :( 

But we did help the daughter get her resume in good shape.  She is the one who did the fashion internship in NYC last year; she may go back full time but nothing is confirmed, and her teacher is recommending her for a similar job here in Phoenix.  All things equal I think she should try NYC; now is the time to do it, when she is young and unattached.  I've often wondered how my career would have gone if I had moved to Silicon Valley for my career instead of staying in Phoenix.  I'd probably be super liberal and agreeing with Mike all the time.  :D 

More rain due this week in sunny Phoenix, damn that global climate something.  Wildflowers are beautiful tho.

Have a great week geeks!

Biggest question/regret of my life is should I have said 'fock it' completely and went to LA to work in video/film editing instead of Florida.  Florida has a lot of production going on there, and the benefit that I had a ton of family there to help me out if needed.  But, I've been working for 25 years straight in the field(not an easy one to break into), but business to business marketing videos wasn't exactly the dream coming out of school. 

Tough call.  Good luck to her. 

14 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Biggest question/regret of my life is should I have said 'fock it' completely and went to LA to work in video/film editing instead of Florida.  Florida has a lot of production going on there, and the benefit that I had a ton of family there to help me out if needed.  But, I've been working for 25 years straight in the field(not an easy one to break into), but business to business marketing videos wasn't exactly the dream coming out of school. 

Tough call.  Good luck to her. 

Thanks.  In my case I had started dating my wife 9 months after moving here, then started my MBA a few months later.  By the time I finished that we were married, doing well in our careers, starting to think about kids... like I said, if not now, when?

Also one of her best friends is starting at Columbia grad school this fall; if she goes they will get a place together.  Being with someone who cares for her takes a big load off of my mind (she is the one with diabetes).  

Selfishly I love having her around here, but I want what's best for her.  :) 

Technically the job here is listed as a part-time internship, and in her mind she would do it for a few months before going to NY permanently.  But according to her teacher, the last person to do this ended up full-time and working for a year... very similar to her NY experience, where within a week they said "OK, she's good" and had her working full time, and tried to convince her to transfer to Parsons or FIT in NYC to finish school while still working for them.  I get the feeling that this is how companies "test hire" fresh-outs in this industry.

Back from our spring break trip to Colorado. Taught my kids to ski, played some Cornhole, went to meowolf, drank some beer, and drew some sidewalk chalk art.

15 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Back from our spring break trip to Colorado. Taught my kids to ski, played some Cornhole, went to meowolf, drank some beer, and drew some sidewalk chalk art.

I was going to give you shiot about taking your kids to some sorta cosplay pron, but that meowwolf looks pretty cool.  :cheers: 

https://meowwolf.com/visit/denver

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

I was going to give you shiot about taking your kids to some sorta cosplay pron, but that meowwolf looks pretty cool.  :cheers: 

https://meowwolf.com/visit/denver

It is worth visiting if you are ever in Santa Fe or Denver, but probably not worth going out of your way to visit.

We took the kids to the one in Santa Fe last summer when visiting my wife's brother in Albuquerque. Only my wife and I went to the one in Denver though. There is another in Vegas, but there is quite a bit of other places to visit there. 

50 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It is worth visiting if you are ever in Santa Fe or Denver, but probably not worth going out of your way to visit.

We took the kids to the one in Santa Fe last summer when visiting my wife's brother in Albuquerque. Only my wife and I went to the one in Denver though. There is another in Vegas, but there is quite a bit of other places to visit there. 

Thanks!  We're thinking of taking a trip to Santa Fe some day; hike and visit Los Alamos.  We'll add that to the activity list.  :cheers: 

6 hours ago, TommyGavin said:

Morning Mike. You can keep all the snow. Do not want to jinx NYC so I won’t say anything more then that. 

Has it still not snowed out there? I read something back in like January that said they still hadn’t recorded any measurable snowfall yet. That’s wild

13 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

Has it still not snowed out there? I read something back in like January that said they still hadn’t recorded any measurable snowfall yet. That’s wild

Grand Rapids has shoveled 109.2 inches of snow this winter. That now puts the snow season of 2022-2023 as the third snowiest winter on record at Grand Rapids. Snowfall records for Grand Rapids go back to 1904.

We've had a lot this year. The only saving grace has been that after a lot of snow falls, we've had some unseasonably warm/sunny days that have melted a bunch of it.  

15 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

We've had a lot this year. The only saving grace has been that after a lot of snow falls, we've had some unseasonably warm/sunny days that have melted a bunch of it.  

It’s been super mild here in western NY. I’ve maybe shoveled a half-dozen times, if that.

34 minutes ago, dain11279 said:

It snowed last week and it didn’t stick. No actual accumulation