Sign in to follow this  
Hawkeye21

Flat Earth

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Have any of you spent any time reading what flat earthers have to say?  It's so incredibly bizarre that I actually find it interesting.  I'm amazed at how in depth they go with their belief on the subject.

https://twitter.com/FlatEarthZone?s=20

https://twitter.com/hashtag/flatearth?src=hashtag_click

When I first heard about it I thought it was people just trolling but these people believe it. 

Related I met a guy at a fossil show that said the Earth as expanding.  I said I heard about the expanding universe theory (that was a mistake) and he said THAT was stupid.  He said the Earth was expanding then went on and on about it.  He said Earth was 20% larger than 65 million years ago which was why dinosaurs were so much larger than lizards today.  :dunno:??  He was at my fossil booth and kept going on and on.  I could not get away from him.

After about 20 minutes my wife told him that we were trying to sell fossils so buy something or leave.  She is not as nice as I am. 

• Haha 2

I had a Facebook acquaintance who posted something about flat earth, and I made some comment like, "You mean flat like west Texas?"

And she said, "No the whole Earth is flat like a penny."

I couldn't resist that.

Soon after that, she said, "Flat earth has been proven! You can see the Statue of Liberty from 60 miles away!"

Rusty, "Cool, show us a picture of the Statue of Liberty from 60 miles away."

Flat Earth Ethel: "I will if I can find one!"

They're experts at dancing around the argument and engaging in gish galloping to throw off the central subject. 

I decided to issue a challenge.

Rusty, "So I have a challenge for you. You know that water park over in Canton? It's 60 miles from downtown Dallas, home to the 900-foot-tall Bank of America building. I challenge you to go over there and see for yourself if you can see it, because if you can see the 300-foot-tall Statue of Liberty from 60 miles away, surely you can see the Bank of America building in Dallas from that distance."

Ethel: "I don't have time to go over there and do that!"

Rusty: "OK, so I'll pay someone of your choosing to go over there, get atop the tallest water slide, which is about 100 feet high, and report back whether they can see the Bank of America building!

Ethel: "Well, you have to special equipment."

Rusty: "What equipment would that be?"

Ethel: "You have to have a Nikon OU812 with a Super Duper XLNT Whoop Tee Doo Lense."

(Rusty goes online and finds a Nikon OU812 with a Super Duper XLNT Whoop Tee Doo Lense for $300.)

Rusty: "OK, I found this link - www.nikoncameras.com/cameras/superduperxlntwhoopteelense - for $300. I will BUY this camera AND hire anyone of your choosing to go out to Canton to get a picture of the Bank of America building from the top of the tallest water tower at Splash Kingdom there in Canton. In addition, I'll treat this person and their whole family to a day at the water park!"

Ethel: "But you still won't be able to see it, silly."

Rusty: "Why?"

Ethel: "Because of the curvature of the Earth!"

Rusty: 🤣😎:banana::first:

I was blocked and defriended moments later, and a mutual friend after that told me said she called him, :cry: and saying she was now questioning it all.

Really, it's a scam, because people pay a bunch of money to go to these Flat Earth conventions and buy a bunch of Flat Earth crap.

But they're fun to argue with and mock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Have any of you spent any time reading what flat earthers have to say?  It's so incredibly bizarre that I actually find it interesting.  I'm amazed at how in depth they go with their belief on the subject.

Pretty darn mountainous where I live.

Another good point to use is the direct flights between Sydney and New York City.

1 minute ago, iam90sbaby said:

Over half of flat earthers are just trolling you.

That must really annoy the true believers like you.  

8 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

Another good point to use is the direct flights between Sydney and New York City.

Plus, you can get caught between the moon and New York City. 

8 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I thought they all had to be but it seems there are a good amount who honestly believe it.

I found the theory of there being an ice wall around us and then different civilizations beyond that to be interesting. Almost like a Game of Thrones wall or something. They say that we are the center of it all. 

Ao do they think earth is a cube?  When you reach the edge so you just walk onto the next side?  Or is it a plane?  I don’t understand the concept.

6 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

Ao do they think earth is a cube?  When you reach the edge so you just walk onto the next side?  Or is it a plane?  I don’t understand the concept.

It’s turtles all the way down. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frank said:

Plus, you can get caught between the moon and New York City. 

I rather get caught between the moon and Uranus.

:wub:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

That is because you are asking questions and using your brain.  

47 minutes ago, MLCKAA said:

No, they believe the Earth is flat like a coin, and a giant wall of ice surrounds the perimeter. 

They can't answer questions such as what is on the other side and why can't we just climb atop the ice wall and see what's on the other side. They also don't understand the geology of how planets form and that ours would be the sole flat one in the known universe. They think photos from space of our world are fake, and they apparently have ever flown on a aircraft or think airlines are part of the conspiracy by installing special passenger windows that make the Earth look round.

Based on their map, an aircraft traveling between New York City and Sydney would have to fly over what is our North Pole, because that's the shortest route. Otherwise, it's a ridiculously circuitous route. 

The Greeks figured out around 500 B.C. that the Earth was round, but flat earthers believe mankind has conspired to conspired to cover up that Earth is flat. So despite bitter differences and conflicts among Earth's nations, they've all united to keep a lid on the whole flat-Earth thing.

That conversation I posted earlier is almost exactly how it went down. 

6 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

There was at least one Creationist on FBGs - please tell me this board has a flat Earther.  

JustinCharge has a flat head, the result of his parents putting his head in a press to punish him around the time in his childhood when he came down with conspiracy diarrhea and wouldn't shut up about it all.

44 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

No, they believe the Earth is flat like a coin, and a giant wall of ice surrounds the perimeter. 

They can't answer questions such as what is on the other side and why can't we just climb atop the ice wall and see what's on the other side. They also don't understand the geology of how planets form and that ours would be the sole flat one in the known universe. They think photos from space of our world are fake, and they apparently have ever flown on a aircraft or think airlines are part of the conspiracy by installing special passenger windows that make the Earth look round.

Based on their map, an aircraft traveling between New York City and Sydney would have to fly over what is our North Pole, because that's the shortest route. Otherwise, it's a ridiculously circuitous route. 

The Greeks figured out around 500 B.C. that the Earth was round, but flat earthers believe mankind has conspired to conspired to cover up that Earth is flat. So despite bitter differences and conflicts among Earth's nations, they've all united to keep a lid on the whole flat-Earth thing.

That conversation I posted earlier is almost exactly how it went down. 

To be fair, you only know theories about how planets form.

Of course the earth is round. 

Now the moon landing. That's a whole different argument.

14 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Their theories are absurd and fascinating at the same time.  It’s Tolkien like.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MLCKAA said:

To be fair, you only know theories about how planets form.

I actually have a minor in geology.

😂

1 hour ago, Kopy said:

Of course the earth is round. 

Now the moon landing. That's a whole different argument.

Apparently Stanley Kubrick directed the moon landing and he put a bunch of clues about it in The Shining. 

13 hours ago, frank said:

It’s turtles all the way down. 

I thought it was 4 elephants on the turtles back.

30 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Apparently Stanley Kubrick directed the moon landing and he put a bunch of clues about it in The Shining. 

Apparently?  You didn't see Danny's sweater? Proof!

15 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I'm guessing 99.9% are trolling them. It's usually the liberals that get sucked into it. 

• Confused 1

From the guy that brought you “Died Suddenly,” I’m not sure there’s any conspiracy theory this loon won’t believe 

35 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

So how thick is thick?  I mean is the earth a foot thick, a mile?

These are the common sense questions that they are never able to answer.

• Sad 1

On 3/24/2023 at 6:49 AM, TimHauck said:

From the guy that brought you “Died Suddenly,” I’m not sure there’s any conspiracy theory this loon won’t believe 

Lol