Sign in to follow this  
Patented Phil

You want to know what MAGA really is?

"Make America Great Again"

Sounds innocuous enough.  Heck, prior Presidents have also used that tag-line.  But when Trump used it in 2016 it was controversial.  Mostly it was due to Trump.  Anything he said or did was evil.  But it went further than that.  I heard a lot of Liberals say things like:

• America wasn't that great, especially for minorities
  • It is xenophobic
  • It has the stench of white supremacy
  • What the hell does MAGA refer to anyways?  What was so great that we lost?

The last bullet should have been talked about more.  But it's hard to have intelligent discourse in the middle of a food fight.  Charges of white supremacy were always bogus.  I don't know one single conservative that wanted to go back to the 60's.  So why did MAGA resonate so much with Conservatives?  This article from the Wall Street Journal touches upon it.  

There is so much pushback on MAGA and what's traditionally American because we have let in to many immigrants, that's the only reason and it isn't as complicated as RINOs make it out to be.

Twisting words and meaning is perhaps the super-power of liberals.   Their ability to manipulate people through word play is pretty impressive.  I think their approach to malign MAGA is solid tactics.  JMHO

6 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

There is so much pushback on MAGA and what's traditionally American because we have let in to many immigrants, that's the only reason and it isn't as complicated as RINOs make it out to be.

American tradition is that this nation was built from immigrants.  Unless you're native american, you're an immigrant or their offspring.

6 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

American tradition is that this nation was built from immigrants.  Unless you're native american, you're an immigrant or their offspring.

Yes, legal immigrants. MAGA has no problem with that.

15 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Yes, immigrants who came for opportunity and who where willing to risk failure and to suffer the consequences of their choice, not immigrants who have a call on a safety net provided by others at great potential cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

A very specific congregation of immigrants 

31 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Correct.

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

There is no such person as "native American". And don't bother quoting some random other dumbass on the internet saying there is because they are stupid as well.

I know it's not the majority of republicans but when I think of MAGA I think of people like those in the background of this picture.  These are the worst of the worst of the MAGA crowd and give republicans a bad name.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I know it's not the majority of republicans but when I think of MAGA I think of people like those in the background of this picture.  These are the worst of the worst of the MAGA crowd and give republicans a bad name.

And when you think of the opposite of MAGA what do you think of? 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Unfortunately, the people in your example are Democrats. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

So what year was this "MAGA crowd" picture taken in? Looks like 1960.

And your point is? Liberals were MAGA back then? And now they are still the same but for some reason vote republican? 😆

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

New Orleans was, and has always been, a haven for Democrats. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Unfortunately, the people in your example of Democrats. 

Unfortunately or not, you are correct. Liberals don't seem to remember lessons like this. Or maybe they just blocked out the learning of these things.

The problem for most conservatives is that the perception is MAGA = Trump.   Imo you already have and uphill battle if you believe the things listed but want to distance yourself from him.  Y'all need a new slogan.   It's forever tied to him and his bs.   6+ years later it's going to be hard to say, well it was only about the "America first", and not a love of Trump. 

For me the hint of racism/white supremacy has less to do with the policies like the wall, and more about his unwillingness to separate from those groups like the Proud Boys and others .  To be crystal clear- I also don't think that means Trump is racist, I thing that is 100% his ego, and he couldn't give two caps who it was giving him praise.  But, it allowed that correlation in the public mind.  

4 minutes ago, Vince44 said:

It stands for uneducated hillbilly racists.

And BLM stands for uneducated ghetto dwellers. Can’t win an election without them. 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

Yet lots of the businesses and companies those people love to cry poverty for hire those illegal immigrants. 

5 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

The problem for most conservatives is that the perception is MAGA = Trump.   Imo you already have and uphill battle if you believe the things listed but want to distance yourself from him.  Y'all need a new slogan.   It's forever tied to him and his bs.   6+ years later it's going to be hard to say, well it was only about the "America first", and not a love of Trump. 

For me the hint of racism/white supremacy has less to do with the policies like the wall, and more about his unwillingness to separate from those groups like the Proud Boys and others .  To be crystal clear- I also don't think that means Trump is racist, I thing that is 100% his ego, and he couldn't give two caps who it was giving him praise.  But, it allowed that correlation in the public mind.  

I think it is very easy to make a case that MAGA means something to Trump but means something very different to groups like the Proud Boys and stuff like that. And as you said- the inability to divest himself from them stains the message he is trying to get across. 

Like you- I don't think Trump is racist either. But I do think racists take his message to mean he supports them fully. 

10 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

I think it is very easy to make a case that MAGA means something to Trump but means something very different to groups like the Proud Boys and stuff like that. And as you said- the inability to divest himself from them stains the message he is trying to get across. 

Like you- I don't think Trump is racist either. But I do think racists take his message to mean he supports them fully. 

But Democrat are the party of racists. It’s part of the history you guys are trying to remove.

• Like 1

What MAGA means to a supporter - A return to a halycon day of Americana for people; when the ideals of the country were supported and respected; where even though life wasn't fair...hard work, stick-to-it-iveness and a little bit of luck would get you an opportunity for that spot in the sun. Where troublemakers got their come uppance and where people didn't rock the boat in regards to wholesomeness and family values. Where people stuck to their own lanes, knew their roles and limits and were happy with that .....as life, even for the poorest of us, was still pretty good.   I certainly don't believe that MAGA enthusiasts and supporters saw the Bush 41, Clinton or Bush the Elder eras as this....so I'd say they saw MAGA as a return to a Reagan-esque lifestye (it itself was a throwback to the more innocent 50s and early 60s era).

What MAGA means to a detractor - that these people that support MAGA are full of crap.  That the Reagan era (or by defauly the 50s and 60s) were pretty shitty for a significant portion of the population and that those who see these/this era as such "great" were A) either too young and didn't understand that the innocent bubble of youth that they lived in (think those that extoll the virtures of growing up as a child in the 80s) or B ) weren't someone who dealt with the actual shittiness of the era.  

4 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

But Democrat are the party of racists. It’s part of the history you guys are trying to remove.

That is an extremely simplistic view of history and while there is a kernel of truth to it there are a lot of factors being ignored. Someone like Michael Moore would be proud of the way you are going about it. 

27 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

The problem for most conservatives is that the perception is MAGA = Trump. 

Agree. I think we all want to "Make America Great Again", do we not? It's not a Trump thing, he just made it about himself as usual. 

And the majority of Republicans are well over & done with Trump and his antics. The primaries will show as such. 

I picture a bunch of angry, middle-aged white guys menstruating together with their MAGAdom on a light-traffic, low-rent message board.

1 minute ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I picture a bunch of angry, middle-aged white guys menstruating together with their MAGAdom on a light-traffic, low-rent message board.

You fantasize about the weirdest things. 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

A couple of things about our history with immigration:

1. There wasn't a welfare state in effect.  The people who came here had to work.
  2. America was growing at a rapid pace, with plenty of land available.
  3. The immigrants came from Europe, with similar values and customs.

The end result is that immigration was a net gain for the country.  Immigration today is entirely different.  They get free everything - food, shelter, health coverage, schooling...  Liberals are terrible when it comes to money so they never factor that in. 

Trump was 100% correct that immigration today should be targeted to people that will bring value to the country.  The Asian immigration in the 70's and 80's brought in people with hard work ethics and an insane commitment to education.  Those people brought value.  I'd go even further and say that the immigrants we allow in should have have similar values and culture.  America used to be a melting pot, with the onus on immigrants to meld into the existing culture and language.  Liberals turned that melting pot into beef stew, where the onus is on Americans to accommodate their culture and language.  This was a distress idea from the start and wasn't thought through.  History is replete with examples of countries being torn apart by balkanization.  This type of diversity is NOT our strength - it will be our undoing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, League Champion said:

Agree. I think we all want to "Make America Great Again", do we not? It's not a Trump thing, he just made it about himself as usual. 

And the majority of Republicans are well over & done with Trump and his antics. The primaries will show as such. 

I hope you are right about this part.  I guess we will see in the next year.  

Regardless, I think non-Trump people should also drop MAGA and go with some other slogan or messaging.  Wearing maga in 2026 will still get the Trump stench with it.  

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And when you think of the opposite of MAGA what do you think of? 

Libs of TikTok

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Men in hats, women in pearls, Im guessing the photo is 60 years old if its a day.  Still, I take your point.  Such hatred, and generated from what?

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

Men in hats, women in pearls, Im guessing the photo is 60 years old if its a day.  Still, I take your point.  Such hatred, and generated from what?

From liberal positioning in society.

They used hatred to control the narrative then, and they are doing it now. 

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

Apparently my post came off as me acting like this was a recent picture but I knew that.  I was using it as a comparison of the hatred those people have towards others.  They hate them because they are different.

15 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Apparently my post came off as me acting like this was a recent picture but I knew that.  I was using it as a comparison of the hatred those people have towards others.  They hate them because they are different.

I did not take you making any assertion.  I simply noted the probable provenance.

1 minute ago, Hawkeye21 said:

But everyone already knows the deep set hatred the liberals in this country impart on those who don't agree with them. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

But everyone already knows the deep set hatred the liberals in this country impart on those who don't agree with them. 

There are plenty of liberals that have a lot of hate too, no argument there, but I'm talking about a different group of people.

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It was stupid To use that picture. Find something more recent. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

It was stupid To use that picture. Find something more recent. 

Why?  It was perfectly relevant and didn't require being recent.