Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

Anyone here buy gold or silver?

How long you been doing so. The reason why. What do you get. 

Any advice for someone looking to get into it?

2 hours ago, Kopy said:

Buy the gold ETF GLD

I do, and lots of it.  I keep it in a jar in the front bedroom closet.  Its hidden by a camel hair overcoat, on the left hand side.  I sometimes worry about it as we have no dog, no security system, and the house is empty on Saturday nights from 7 to midnight.  I suppose robbers might be caught on my neghibors ringcam but they could deal with that by wearing masks and not parking on the street directly between our homes.  It probably does not help that i have two ladders on the notrth side of my house lying on the ground as either of those could easily be used to accrss the window which is easily forced.

Mr T starter kit count?

2 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

I do, and lots of it.  I keep it in a jar in the front bedroom closet.  Its hidden by a camel hair overcoat, on the left hand side.  I sometimes worry about it as we have no dog, no security system, and the house is empty on Saturday nights from 7 to midnight.  I suppose robbers might be caught on my neghibors ringcam but they could deal with that by wearing masks and not parking on the street directly between our homes.  It probably does not help that i have two ladders on the notrth side of my house lying on the ground as either of those could easily be used to accrss the window which is easily forced.

You left out how much you have and also would you have a extra passport kept near it ?

6 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

You left out how much you have and also would you have a extra passport kept near it ?

How much?  so much you will likely want three strong men to carry it all.  A passport nearby, nope, though I do keep several keys of really pure coke right next to it.

Just now, Engorgeous George said:

How much?  so much you will likely want three strong men to carry it all.  A passport nearby, nope, though I do keep several keys of really pure coke right next to it.

Good to know.

I love those commercials where they go “if silver just returns to its all time high that would be a 200% increase!”.

What a weird way of saying that it’s not worth shiit anymore.

A few years ago, I got into buying silver sort of as a hobby and investment. I haven’t bought any in years and never sold any. The result is I have about $1,200 of silver in my sock drawer. :dunno:

If you want silver, the easiest way would be to buy these.

https://www.usmoneyreserve.com/shop/bullion/silver-eagle-monster-box-500-coins/

Keep in mind that they've appreciated substantially since I first started watching them.

$11,558.35 Date Unknown 2015 or 2016 ?
$10,722.58  March 22nd 2017
$10,167.20  April 27th 2017
$9,409.71    June 5th 2017
$9,781.12     Oct 3rd 2017

$9,897.59      Nov 4th 2017
$9,728.02      Feb 12th 2018
$18,521.70    Mar 28th 2023

Unfortunately, I never pulled the trigger & bought one.

Someone mentioned a gold ETF GLD. Over the past 5 years, its performance is about the same as the S&P 500. Considering how heavy the 500 is weighed in large-cap tech, that's actually pretty impressive. Of course it would really shine when/if the nation craters. A pretty good possibility imo.

15 minutes ago, cyclone24 said:

I love those commercials where they go “if silver just returns to its all time high that would be a 200% increase!”.

What a weird way of saying that it’s not worth shiit anymore.

Definitely stay away from those idiots. But silver it's definitely valuable.

You could buy a box of these for under 10 K as recently as 2018

7 hours ago, Kopy said:

No but I give your mom a pearl necklace every Saturday 

I do not. I like fake internet coins and .jpg pictures of dogs and apes

• Like 1

I went through a phase where I was buying 1 oz gold and 1oz silver. I forget why I stopped but I should probably get back into it. I have a pretty decent amount in my gun safe 

8 hours ago, easilyscan said:

If you want silver, the easiest way would be to buy these.

Keep in mind that they've appreciated substantially since I first started watching them.

$11,558.35 Date Unknown 2015 or 2016 ?
$10,722.58  March 22nd 2017
$10,167.20  April 27th 2017
$9,409.71    June 5th 2017
$9,781.12     Oct 3rd 2017

$9,897.59      Nov 4th 2017
$9,728.02      Feb 12th 2018
$18,521.70    Mar 28th 2023

Unfortunately, I never pulled the trigger & bought one.

Someone mentioned a gold ETF GLD. Over the past 5 years, its performance is about the same as the S&P 500. Considering how heavy the 500 is weighed in large-cap tech, that's actually pretty impressive. Of course it would really shine when/if the nation craters. A pretty good possibility imo.

Interesting.  Need something that fits in a safety deposit box though.  

• Haha 1

A customer of mine was into gold when it was up after 2008.   We spoke at length about it.  He would sell a little every month because it was way up from when he bought it.     Anyhow he recommended at the time to not get into it.  He said you had to buy at spot price but it was impossible to sell it at that price.  He also said when you sold through a dealer or house you paid 10-15% in fees and commissions.   So he said if you bought gold it had to go up 15% to break even.  If it went down by 15% you lost 25-30%.   This is all from memory so the numbers may be off. 

1 hour ago, Bill E. said:

A customer of mine was into gold when it was up after 2008.   We spoke at length about it.  He would sell a little every month because it was way up from when he bought it.     Anyhow he recommended at the time to not get into it.  He said you had to buy at spot price but it was impossible to sell it at that price.  He also said when you sold through a dealer or house you paid 10-15% in fees and commissions.   So he said if you bought gold it had to go up 15% to break even.  If it went down by 15% you lost 25-30%.   This is all from memory so the numbers may be off. 

I've never bought any gold coins, but I've researched. Your description seems accurate.

• Like 1

In a crashed economy brass, steel, and lead will be the currency of necessity.  I will be able to go shopping plenty often. Whther gold or silver will be accepted as currency is a matte rod discretion, lead overrides discretion.

On 3/28/2023 at 7:13 AM, Kopy said:

I started buying silver a few years ago. You can find a good bit at pawn shops for less than you could buy online. I usually hit up this one big pawn shop in my city 2-3 times a month to get some silver. I got a little bit of gold but I’ve been big into silver. Just been putting them in one of my safes at my house 

On 3/28/2023 at 9:48 AM, Alias Detective said:

Buy the gold ETF GLD

Or GFI. It makes me $.

3 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

That's twice what gold is worth per ounce right now. 

Gold Spot Prices Today Change
Gold Price Per Ounce $ 1,977.9 -6.09