GobbleDog

Onside Kick -vs- 4th & 20

The NFL team owners are meeting in Arizona this week and there are plenty of items on their agenda. One of which is possible rule changes that teams present each off-season. While most aren't put into place, occasional changes that are made typically fans aren't happy with.

NFL Insider Tom Pelissero reported Tuesday that the Eagles proposed an alternative to an onside kick and an opportunity to convert a fourth and 20. Similar to what the XFL rules currently permit. The proposal was not voted down, but the team owners will reportedly continue to discuss the potential rule change at a later time.

Fans weren't happy this was a possible new rule change that the league could consider. With some saying the change would make playing the Madden video game even worse and unpredictable. Others said that the NFL should make other rule changes before addressing this concept. And, others said that it would only make sense if it were in the fourth quarter as it is in the XFL.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-madden-going-unplayable-nfl-fans-react-franchise-owners-decision-adopting-xfl-rule

In 2022, only 3 out of 56 on-side attempts were successful - dismal 5.3%. I love the idea of giving teams a better chance of a comeback and adding excitement, so the NFL should simply move the receiving team 5 yards back. That should improve the percentage without resorting to such a drastic rule change.

What say ye Geeks?

I like the idea of a single 20 yard play to get the ball back in the 4th quarter.  It would be more entertaining than the onside kick and should make games a bit closer.  

The onside kick if they remove all of the stupid rules that they have added to it recently...

3 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

In 2022, only 3 out of 56 on-side attempts were successful - dismal 5.3%. I love the idea of giving teams a better chance of a comeback and adding excitement, so the NFL should simply move the defending team 5 yards back. That should improve the percentage without resorting to such a drastic rule change.

What say ye Geeks?

On a serious note imagine the PI calls on the 4th in 20 that could change the games outcomes.

22 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

In 2022, only 3 out of 56 on-side attempts were successful - dismal 5.3%. I love the idea of giving teams a better chance of a comeback and adding excitement, so the NFL should simply move the receiving team 5 yards back. That should improve the percentage without resorting to such a drastic rule change.

What say ye Geeks?

I think there have been to many changes to water down what was once a great product, no more is needed , I like playing ff, but we don’t need ff on the field.  There was only 56 on-side attempts out of hundreds of games played.  Please nfl leave the game alone, if anything let’s go backwards, and let the defense hit the snot out of the offense like it use to be , when the game was worth watching. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

What say ye Geeks?

Why make a team which dominated the game for 59 minutes more likely to lose on some fluke play?

2 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I think there have been to many changes to water down what was once a great product, no more is needed

I despised the "every team gets a chance to score a field goal in OT rule... and every team gets a chance to score a TD in playoffs."  So stupid and seems to cater to today's "everything should be equal at all times" crowd...  Sudden death was pure excitement.

But backing up the receiving team a measly 5 yards to get the on-side recovery percentage a little closer to 10%.?.  Seems harmless and adds excitement.  I agree the 4th & 20 rule is ridiculous.

Remember the 1st XFL game when they had 2 guys run full speed from like 20 yards away to grab the ball at midfield? That

28 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

I despised the "every team gets a chance to score a field goal in OT rule... and every team gets a chance to score a TD in playoffs."  So stupid and seems to cater to today's "everything should be equal at all times" crowd...  Sudden death was pure excitement.

But backing up the receiving team a measly 5 yards to get the on-side recovery percentage a little closer to 10%.?.  Seems harmless and adds excitement.  I agree the 4th & 20 rule is ridiculous.

I agree with you about sudden death. 

7 minutes ago, Thornton Melon said:

The 4th and 20 thing is the football version of the start-the-inning-with-a-runner-on-second deal. No thanks.

Yea I don't like that rule either.

I think the onside kick should be removed entirely and draw a flag for attempting.  Teams need to accept their loss when in a situation that would need an onside kick.  

23 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I think the onside kick should be removed entirely and draw a flag for attempting.  Teams need to accept their loss when in a situation that would need an onside kick.  

The onside kick is actually fun to watch when teams aren't expecting it.

4th and 15, 4th and 20. It’s bad. The offense has just scored, meaning they are likely in a groove. With how skewed the NFL is toward offense, it’s really not that hard to convert and when you do, you have the ball at the 40ish yard line already. Too easy

I understand the onside kick may be too hard so I would simply focus on tweaking that a bit. 

I thought I would be gramps here but looks like I have company.   

Not a big fan.  Haven't seen thr XFL so don't know all the rules to it.  A flag on that play would suck.  I was never of the idea that teams who suck all 1st half need endless chances to come back.  If you lose you lose.  I would understand why maybe thr NFL would eventually do this since it is all about money and close games.  But it is wonky.  Why do we need to up thr chances fot a team eho sucked for most the game?  It qould be like having a make it take it line in basketballs further than a normal 3. 

You just had the ball and scored.   Why do we need to increase the odds that you get it right back? I guess I don't understand this.

Also it is weird how OT change rules guy is same as 4th and 20 guy.  

On the OT rules if you told someone who hated sudden death "well you have a defense just stop them" they would say thats dumb. 

But the same people are for handing the ball to the team who has played worse and making the leading team "just stop them".  

Can't have it both ways.  

9 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

They could mock the Packers by making it 4th and 26.

:lol: 

I think the rule is fine, as is. 

If you're kicking an OSK, you're looking for a miracle. The play is supposed to be hard and unlikely AF. Why should the team up in the game try and make it easier for the team they're beating to beat them? 

On 3/28/2023 at 11:28 PM, WhiteWonder said:

4th and 15, 4th and 20. It’s bad. The offense has just scored, meaning they are likely in a groove. With how skewed the NFL is toward offense, it’s really not that hard to convert and when you do, you have the ball at the 40ish yard line already. Too easy

I understand the onside kick may be too hard so I would simply focus on tweaking that a bit. 

Let them run 1 play from their own 5