Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

New NFL Rules for 2023

2023 approved playing rules

Rule change: Players can use  zero ("0") as a jersey number; kickers and punters can use any jersey number between 0-49 and 90-99.

• Amendment to Rule 4, Section 6, Article 3 and Section 7, Article 4, proposed by the Los Angeles Chargers

Rule change: Referees will adjust play clock following an instant replay reversal the same way they do following other stoppages. Before, players would have to signal back to the officials to request more time on the play clock in such situations.

• Amendment to Rule 15, Section 1, Article 2, proposed by the Houston Texans

Rule change: The replay official can automatically review a close play on a failed fourth-down attempt. This will save team's a challenge if it's a close call on fourth down. The rule change may speed up the game since the replay official can review the play immediately.

• To change the definition of a launch, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: A launch, which is a personal foul (15-yard penalty), is now if a player leaves one or both feet to make a tackle. 

• To make tripping a personal foul, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: If a player is called for tripping, the penalty will result in 15 yards and an automatic first down. 

• To make handing the football forward a penalty like an illegal forward pass, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: This will penalize teams handing off the football forward on a read-option, for example, or any other running play a penalty. Handoffs will have to be made next to or behind the quarterback, not in front of. 

• To make the penalty for illegal punts, drop kicks, or place kicks the same as an illegal forward pass, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: This will make those acts listed above count for a loss of a down at the spot of the foul, just like an illegal forward pass, to prevent the offense from benefitting with an extra play at the end of half because of an offensive penalty.  For example, if the offense commits a holding penalty, that will no longer lead to an untimed, additional down. 

• To clarify the use of a helmet against an opponent, proposed by the Competition Committee

Rule change: Removes the words the "butt, ram, and spear" from Article 8 and adds those actions into the penalty for "Impermissible Use of the Helmet."

LINK

So how do you make a tackle without leaving one or both feet?  How do you run without leaving one or both feet?  Does the defender have to "establish position" like in basketball now and not move his feet as the offensive player runs into them?  This sounds like a stupid rule.

The one about no more forward handoffs is interesting, too--that basically just made the jet sweep obsolete, at least as we know it.  Now they will have to go behind the QB to take a handoff.

I don't understand why the QB can't hand the ball forward behind the line of scrimmage if it's considered similar to a pass.  They don't mention the reason for this rule change.  I guess teams can just do a short shovel pass instead.

it it is a handoff why should it matter.  If I am a QB, I'm handing the ball to someone.  not throwing it.   the ball never touches the ground.

this rule actually hurts all the teams with a running QB that uses read option.  

I am pretty sure one of the features that makes a running QB attractive,  is to incorporate this type of play into your offense.

I dont particularly care one way or another, but this will be the end result.   

The handoff rule just made Taysom Hill even more valuable. He doesn't hand off, so you never have to worry about being penalized.

35 minutes ago, LaChup said:

The handoff rule just made Taysom Hill even more valuable. He doesn't hand off, so you never have to worry about being penalized.

Hill will be gold in 2 TE, point-per-carry leagues.

I want to adjust our scoring to +20 point bonus for not throwing, handing off, or even consider giving the ball to anyone else on your team any time you are in the game. 

With the number one pick of the 2023 draft, LaChup picks......Taysom Hill.

The read option change kind of feels like it's targeting the Chiefs, as I'm not sure I see other teams do this as much as the Chiefs. 

2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

The read option change kind of feels like it's targeting the Chiefs, as I'm not sure I see other teams do this as much as the Chiefs. 

It's probably not that big of a deal, as someone else pointed out--instead of handing the ball off, you just toss it a little instead of handing it off, and boom, now it's a 6-inch forward pass instead of a handoff.  Makes it a little riskier, perhaps, but not much.

Most of these changes are unexciting or nonsensical.  How about something a bit more outside the box like awarding 4 points for field goal attempts that hit the upright and 5 points if it hits and still goes through.  I wonder how many coaches/kickers would take the risk to start going for the uprights.  Of course, this sounds more like something the XFL might try.

2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

Lmao. Right.  Go take another.