Sign in to follow this  
nobody

UPDATE: Aaron Rodgers to the Jets

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

I think you're naïve to how fast Burks is.  Yeah, at the Combine Watson ran a 4.36 and Burks a 4.55, but Burks is fast.  Here's an example.  At the end of that article, based on watching him play, they projected Burks to run a 4.37 at the Combine.  Just because he didn't, it doesn't mean he's not fast.

As I said, the Combine isn't the be-all-end-all, that goes for Watson too.  Just because he ran a 4.36, doesn't mean that's the fasted he can run, but here's an article on game speed about him.  He hit 20+ mph 12 times last year, with his top being 20.97.  As you saw in the link I gave you with Burks, he hit over 22 mph.  So it's not like they're all that different.

I don't think either has more upside than the other, I think they're both top end guys.

Im not basing it only on combine.  Watson had like 5th fastest clocked speed last season in a game.  

Coaches on other teams have said they knew he was fast but his speed in game is deceptive.   Truly elite speed.  

I am a big 3 cone guy.  It is not the end all.  Metcalf ran a bad one.  But watson at his size and speed ran a sub 7.  38 inch vert.  Burks is not the athlete Watson is.  Even if he is much faster than his timed speed at combine.  He also has weight issues where he can sort of blow up if he doesn't really wstch it.  

According to Pro Football Reference, there have been 39 wide receivers in combine history to post a vertical jump of 34 inches or less and a three-cone time of 7.25 seconds or more.

Of those, only two (Anquan Boldin and Chad Johnson) have gone on to enjoy successful careers, making up 5% of the sample size. The other 37 players have combined for one 1,000-yard season. To put into perspective how poor the group is outside of Boldin and Johnson, its most productive player is first-round bust Kelvin Benjamin.

13 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Im not basing it only on combine.  Watson had like 5th fastest clocked speed last season in a game.  

Coaches on other teams have said they knew he was fast but his speed in game is deceptive.   Truly elite speed.  

You literally said: "Watson has elite elite speed.  Burks does not.  I think his upside is way more"

I simply pointed out that the two aren't that far apart.  I agreed that Watson was fast, posted a link saying hit almost hit 21 mph... but also posted a link where Burks was clocked at 22.6 mph.

Again I agree with you.  Combine numbers don't always mean your true speeds.  Tou can have an off day.  Come in out of shape.  Have an injury.  Be terrible at technique of drills.  

But 10 yd split.  How fast you can get up to speed.  Both guys long and heavy.  Shouldn't have great acceleration.  More top end speed guys.  Well...

Watson 1.46.  Burks 1.57.  

That is an amazing gap.  

Just now, TBayXXXVII said:

You literally said: "Watson has elite elite speed.  Burks does not.  I think his upside is way more"

I simply pointed out that the two aren't that far apart.  I agreed that Watson was fast, posted a link saying hit almost hit 21 mph... but also posted a link where Burks was clocked at 22.6 mph.

Burks may play fast.  But that was also from college.  Maybe he is bigger anand bulkier.  Maybe he is fast.  Ill give you that.  But he isn't thr athlete Watson is.  When Burks gets his 225lb moving he maybe is fast after 30 yds of get up.  

The 10 yd actually shows why the difference in times.  At top end after 30 yds of build up yea both have top end speed.  But watson is naturally faster stop and start side to side.  Burks didnt get up to speed until probably the end of the 40.   Watson got up to speed quick.  

Both seem to have top end speed after running a ways.  Watson has other gears and speed. He is overall the faster better athlete.