Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Chiefs Opponents Released - The Road to Super Bowl LVIII Is Paved With Home Games

I'm not sure how a reigning Super Bowl Champion could have a much better schedule.  Of course we don't know which games will be played when yet, but it seems like most of the Chiefs' more difficult games will be at home.  They also have one extra home game--it would be kind of cool if it's a home opener against the Eagles on Thursday night.

ROAD OPPONENTS

Broncos

Chargers

Raiders

Patriots

Packers

Jets

Jaguars

Vikings

HOME OPPONENTS

Broncos

Chargers

Raiders

Bears

Lions

Dolphins

Bengals

Bills

Eagles

This is not an easy schedule.  It only looks easy because it's the Chiefs schedule. 

For example take the Broncos schedule and the Raiders schedule.  They have the same schedule but replace two games shown above with two games against the Chiefs.  

Broncos and Raiders are going to find it very difficult to have a winning record.

2 hours ago, Gepetto said:

This is not an easy schedule. 

The reigning Super Bowl Champions never get an easy schedule.  Our two "discretionary" games are against the last two teams we faced in the postseason this past year--the Bengals and the Eagles.

The point of my post is that most of the hardest games for the Chiefs in 2023 are at home.

12 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The reigning Super Bowl Champions never get an easy schedule.  Our two "discretionary" games are against the last two teams we faced in the postseason this past year--the Bengals and the Eagles.

The point of my post is that most of the hardest games for the Chiefs in 2023 are at home.

I know.  My post was just my general opinion, not a response to you.

One game will be in Germany, so only 8 true home games.   They also need to add a tackle and receiver or there are going to be times they struggle.   But the defense should be nasty. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 11:28 PM, AxeElf said:

ROAD OPPONENTS

Broncos - W

Chargers - W

Raiders -L

Patriots - W

Packers - W

Jets - L

Jaguars - L

Vikings -W

HOME OPPONENTS

Broncos - W

Chargers - W

Raiders - W

Bears - W

Lions - L

Dolphins -W

Bengals -W

Bills -W

Eagles - L

7-1 in division, maybe dropping one.   I think they'll drop another one or two on the road.   Then slip up and lose 1, possibly two at home.   12-5, winning another division title in a row and maybe end up getting another home field afc championship.   

There is so much parity, and it's such a grueling season.   Undefeated is going to be nearly impossible and we may not see it in our lifetimes.  But if anyone can, it's my Chiefs!

2 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

One game will be in Germany, so only 8 true home games.

Good point.  I hope it's the Bears and not a meaningful game.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:42 AM, cmh6476 said:

7-1 in division

Are they adding a team to the AFC West this year?

it doesnt matter how good or bad the schedule is.

All that matters is:

1) they make the playoffs.

2) they win the last game of their season.

all the rest doesnt matter.

40 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

All that matters is:

1) they make the playoffs.

...aaand since that depends to some extent on how good or bad the schedule is...  it does matter.

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

...aaand since that depends to some extent on how good or bad the schedule is...  it does matter.

you think it really matters for the Chiefs?

They are in the playoffs no matter what their schedule is.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Are they adding a team to the AFC West this year?

Sorry, 5-1

I can't believe how perfect this schedule is.  The Chiefs must have the easiest road back to the playoffs--and to an undefeated season--as any defending Super Bowl champion has ever faced.

Weeks 1 - 4:  Lions (opening Thursday night home game), at the Jaguars, vs the Bears, and at the Jets on Sunday Night Football.

It's like the Chiefs got a double helping of Exhibition Games this season.  Oh I guess the Jaguars were a playoff team and the Jets got Rodgers and hey, let's not count out the Norris--but yeah, who are we kidding; a loss in the first month of the season would be embarrassing.

Weeks 5 - 6:  This patch worries me a little, coming after 4 probable blowouts, to go on the road to face the Vikings in a late-afternoon game, who are probly mad after facing Tampa Bay and the Eagles in the first couple of weeks, and then turn around and host a highly-motivated division rival in the Broncos less than 100 hours later on Thursday night.  On the plus side, the Broncos might be feeling a little big for their britches coming in off an opening-season run of the Raiders, Commanders, Dolphins, Bears and Jets themselves.

Weeks 7 - 8:  Just need to continue doing work in late-afternoon Sunday games against divisional opponents; the Chargers at home and then the Broncos again in Denver.

Week 9:  The spanking of Tyreek Hill in Germany.

Then their bye in Week 10 to prepare for the rematch of Super Bowl LVII as the Eagles come to Arrowhead for Monday Night Football in Week 11.  Unfortunately, the Eagles also have a bye in Week 10, so it really is like a mid-season Super Bowl, with each team having two weeks to rest and prepare.  Crazy.

Weeks 12 - 13:  A game against the Raiders and then a road game against a formerly good team that begins with a P but no longer has its stud QB, the Packers.

Week 14:  Another epic late-window home game against the Bills--who will be coming off their Week 13 bye, while the Chiefs will not.  I could see the Chiefs losing this one just so they can snap the Bills off in the playoffs a month later.  They have a mean streak like that sometimes.

Weeks 15 - 16:  A road game against a formerly good team that begins with a P but no longer has it's stud QB, the Patriots, and then a game against the Raiders.

Week 17:  Another epic late-window home game recreating the last two AFC Championship Games against the Bengals.  Fortunately, the Bengals will be in the middle of a difficult playoff run against the Vikings, the Steelers, the Chiefs, and the Browns to close the season--but again, I'm pretty sure the Chiefs would rather beat them in the playoffs than in the regular season.

Week 18:  Depending on the division and conference standings at this point, KC could start resting some players at the end of Week 17 and definitely in Week 18--but the game is against the Chargers, so I can't discount the pride factor.

Undefeated?  Probably not.  There are a couple of points in the season where a loss just makes the most sense in the situation--and it's really hard to go undefeated.  But I do think the Chiefs should coast into the playoffs as a top seed again with a schedule that couldn't be much more favorable and a team that just seems to keep getting better.

I thought the defending Super Bowl champs were supposed to get the toughest schedule, not one of the easiest 😆

23 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Weeks 5 - 6:  This patch worries me a little, coming after 4 probable blowouts, to go on the road to face the Vikings in a late-afternoon game, who are probly mad after facing Tampa Bay and the Eagles in the first couple of weeks, and then turn around and host a highly-motivated division rival in the Broncos less than 100 hours later on Thursday night.  On the plus side, the Broncos might be feeling a little big for their britches coming in off an opening-season run of the Raiders, Commanders, Dolphins, Bears and Jets themselves.

EXTRA ONUS ALERT!

It has been brought to my attention that if Mahomes starts that Vikings game in Week 5 and wins, he will have defeated all 31 other teams at least once as a starter.

Broncos are winning that division this year, so the Chiefs will have to do it as a wild card team.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JagFan said:

Broncos are winning that division this year, so the Chiefs will have to do it as a wild card team.

if you say so. 

bold prediction for a team that wasnt even in the playoffs last year.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JagFan said:

Nice. I like bold predictions.  

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

if you say so. 

bold prediction for a team that wasnt even in the playoffs last year.

It won’t feel so bold when they roll out of KC on Oct 12th with a 6-0 record.

• Haha 1

if that happens I'll fully give you credit and say you called it.

I think its more likely the chargers win the division (but I do still think it will probably be the chiefs)

I just dont think Denver has enough.  this is a tough division

3 hours ago, Ray_T said:

if that happens I'll fully give you credit and say you called it.

I think its more likely the chargers win the division (but I do still think it will probably be the chiefs)

I just dont think Denver has enough.  this is a tough division

It is a brutal division…toughest in the NFL.  What’s not to like about KC and the Chargers?  I feel like the QB/coach combo now in Denver will elevate that team to an unexpected level.  There’s no question how good they both can be, and they both have something to prove.  I see that as the difference maker that will elevate the team.

you guys are wasting your breath.

29 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

you guys are wasting your breath.

Probably.   but it is the off season.   when something better comes up for discussion we will discuss it.

7-1 in division, maybe dropping one.   I think they'll drop another one or two on the road.   Then slip up and lose 1, possibly two at home.   12-5, winning another division title in a row and maybe end up getting another home field afc championship.   

There is so much parity, and it's such a grueling season.   Undefeated is going to be nearly impossible and we may not see it in our lifetimes.  But if anyone can, it's my Chiefs!

They'd better not lose in Jacksonville - wife and I are headed there for the game to see a Chiefs victory!

I was close.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:29 PM, nobody said:

17-0

I was close

ready for the threepeat?

The Chiefs will host the following teams in 2024:

• Baltimore Ravens
  • Cincinnati Bengals
  • Denver Broncos
  • Houston Texans
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Chiefs will visit the following teams in 2024:

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Denver Broncos
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • San Francisco 49ers

1 minute ago, cmh6476 said:

The Chiefs will host the following teams in 2024:

• Baltimore Ravens
  • Cincinnati Bengals
  • Denver Broncos
  • Houston Texans
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • New Orleans Saints
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers

The Chiefs will visit the following teams in 2024:

• Atlanta Falcons
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Denver Broncos
  • Las Vegas Raiders
  • Los Angeles Chargers
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • San Francisco 49ers

Another cake schedule 

2 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Another cake schedule 

17-0.  Actually, I think the Chiefs are well positioned to field an even better team next year :dunno:

11 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

17-0.  Actually, I think the Chiefs are well positioned to field an even better team next year :dunno:

Is that really their schedule or are you joking? I'm not kidding when I say it's an easy schedule. 

1 minute ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Is that really their schedule or are you joking? I'm not kidding when I say it's an easy schedule. 

not their schedule, but it's their list of opponents.  Could end up on a road trip to another country for a game again.  I don't see why any team on that list doesn't have the opportunity to improve over this past year, outside of maybe Denver or Buffalo who appear to have some cap issues.

The league never had more avg to below avg teams before, there isn’t one great team in the nfl today, not one.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, weepaws said:

The league never had more avg to below avg teams before, there isn’t one great team in the nfl today, not one.  

Agree, there's lots of great players in the NFL but no great teams. Mahomes carries KC. 

35 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Agree, there's lots of great players in the NFL but no great teams. Mahomes carries KC. 

I dont know.   Certainly Mahomes is a great player, but if you look the Chiefs Defense has Quietly been one of the best in the NFL.     This is not a one man team. 

Just now, Ray_T said:

I dont know.   Certainly Mahomes is a great player, but if you look the Chiefs Defense has Quietly been one of the best in the NFL.     This is not a one man team. 

Agree, the Chiefs defense was excellent. Spags did an amazing job. He and Andy work great together. 

• Like 1

Kittle, deebo and aiyuk were held to a combined 86 yards I believe, yesterday.   That wasn't just Mahomes.