Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

Post Thursday Games Performance

Listened to an interesting exchange today on local sports talk radio. The host was asking an Osteopathic RX about the injury risks to players who play on Sunday followed by a Thursday game a few days later. He said his research indicated a higher incidence of soft tissue injuries (hammy's , sprains, etc) occur on the Thursday games when a team played the previous Sunday. Makes sense.

Amazon is pushing the flex schedule for Thursday to get more competitive games. Last season had some very bad teams playing which apparently didn't increase viewership. That said it sounds like they'll be scheduling good teams which could potentially affect high ranked players performance and injury risk.

It would be interesting to see if players performance dropped on Thursday and if it did do we downgrade their rankings both weekly and season?

Has anyone looked at the metrics for mid-week games versus Sunday? Would you adjust pre-draft rankings based on a team's schedule, as a tie breaker for example? Just looking for an edge. I'm in some very competitive leagues with guy's who are really good at FF. 

I would avoid drafting any and all players that play on Thursday night If I was you.  

With the schedule being flexible now it's not really something you can even plan for, whether or not it would give you an edge if you could.

18 hours ago, AxeElf said:

With the schedule being flexible now it's not really something you can even plan for, whether or not it would give you an edge if you could.

Thanks for a civil response. Trying to initiate some off-season discussion. The other guy is more interested in continuing a grudge. Very sad.

Anyway, I still think it would be interesting to compare Sunday performance versus Thursday performance for individual players. I remember reading last season that scoring is reduced overall on Thursday games. 

well, my thought is a thursday game when both teams have played the previous sunday means one thing:

less prep time

while every team has their game plans tweaked for the team they play, there will be considerably less tweaking for these games.    so talent is the larger indicator in most cases.

if the coach is inept the team can sometimes perform better on a short week but these are all things that are highly variable.

in the end I think you still play the best player on your fantasy team regardless.

there will occasionally be matchup dependant plays (or non plays) that will be the exception to this and these vary widely from week to week so there is no hard rule I can give that would help with that decision making process.

I still say that the OP should just avoid drafting all players either scheduled to play on Thursday night, or those that might play on Thursday night.  No simpler way of doing it.  I’m not worried about it now in April, I’ll think more about it once my ff teams are drafted.  

Welcome.  

HTH.  

48 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I still say that the OP should just avoid drafting all players either scheduled to play on Thursday night, or those that might play on Thursday night.  No simpler way of doing it.  I’m not worried about it now in April, I’ll think more about it once my ff teams are drafted.  

Welcome.  

HTH.  

Your profile communicates one thing, but your words another. You might want to think about the message you're sending regarding your faith. Or alleged faith.

5 hours ago, Ray_T said:

in the end I think you still play the best player on your fantasy team regardless.

This is the correct answer.  The concept seems a little like the cancel-out theory.  Sure, there have been players who under-performed in a Thursday game, but plenty of players have done the same in Sunday games.

I don’t always agree that one always plays their best players regardless, I think matchups should also be a big factor, gives me the winning edge.  I like starting the players that will get me the most points. 

Thanks.  

3 hours ago, Showboat said:

This is the correct answer.  The concept seems a little like the cancel-out theory.  Sure, there have been players who under-performed in a Thursday game, but plenty of players have done the same in Sunday games.

agreed.   there are exceptions to this rule, but most times playing the best player is still your best strategy going.

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

Welcome.  

HTH.  

Wouldn’t the flex schedule give every team the possibility of playing on Thursday?  So….you retiring from FF?

55 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

agreed.   there are exceptions to this rule, but most times playing the best player is still your best strategy going.

It's the second-best strategy, next to starting the players who score the most points.

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

Welcome.  

HTH.  

2 hours ago, JagFan said:

Wouldn’t the flex schedule give every team the possibility of playing on Thursday?  So….you retiring from FF?

Question #1. Yes, and that’s why I said that the OP should avoid drafting any of those players.  

Question #2. Did you notice that I mentioned OP?  

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

Question #1. Yes, and that’s why I said that the OP should avoid drafting any of those players.  

Question #2. Did you notice that I mentioned OP?  

Hypocrisy Virus – This is a common virus that spreads among christians where the patients pretend to be staunch believers yet their actions are different from their words. They pretend to love God yet they have unmatched hatred for their neighbors

4 hours ago, wolves111 said:

Hypocrisy Virus – This is a common virus that spreads among christians where the patients pretend to be staunch believers yet their actions are different from their words. They pretend to love God yet they have unmatched hatred for their neighbors

Hey I gave you some really great advice neighbor, now say thank you.  

4 hours ago, wolves111 said:

This would not be an example of hypocrisy.  Hypocrisy is defined as the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.  To become a Christian, one must first recognize that their morals are so lacking that they would be unable to get into heaven without Jesus' substitutionary atonement on the cross. 

If a person believed themselves to be of high moral fiber to begin with, they would not need Jesus.

Thus, Christians should not be expected to be "good people"--they are not.  They are just forgiven people.