Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Doug Orth's Rookie Profiles: TE Michael Mayer - 4/26

You know 'em, you love 'em. We're kicking these off today with a look at Bryce Young. We should have 15 or so of the done over the next couple weeks, one per day. 😀

QB Bryce Young, Alabama - 4/3/23
QB C.J. Stroud, Ohio State - 4/4/23
QB Anthony Richardson, Florida - 4/5/23
QB Will Levis, Kentucky - 4/6/23
QB Hendon Hooker, Tennessee - 4/7/23

RB Bijan Robinson, Texas - 4/9/23
RB Jahmyr Gibbs, Alabama - 4/10/23
RB Zach Charbonnet, UCLA - - 4/11/23
RB Tyjae Spears, Tulane - 4/12/23
RB Devon Achane, Texas A&M - 4/23
RB Tank Bigsby, Auburn - 4/14/23
RB Kendre Miller, TCU - 4/16/23
RB DeWayne McBride, UAB - 4/17/23

WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State - 4/18/23
WR Quentin Johnston, TCU - 4/21/23
WR Jordan Addison, USC - 4/21/23
WR Zay Flowers, Boston College - 4/22/23
WR Josh Downs, North Carolina - 4/24/23
WR Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee - 4/24/23
WR Cedric Tillman, Tennessee - 4/25/23

TE Michael Mayer, Notre Dame - 4/26/23
TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah - 4/27/23

One of the problems of scouting a quarterback at a loaded school like Ohio State is assigning credit. Was Stroud good because he had four (or maybe even five, depending on the development of Emeka Egbuka) current or soon-to-be first-round picks to throw to at receiver or did Stroud make his good receivers great?

Could not have put this better.  This is the problem.  And I think the bolded is true, he is not that great of a talent, but benefitted from Ohio State putting some decent athletes on the field. I would not trust an OSU quarterback, jmho

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

Could not have put this better.  This is the problem.  And I think the bolded is true, he is not that great of a talent, but benefitted from Ohio State putting some decent athletes on the field. I would not trust an OSU quarterback, jmho

Alabama doesn't put decent athletes on the field?

1 minute ago, jrokh said:

Alabama doesn't put decent athletes on the field?

Could we create a seperate thread for Alabama?

On 4/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, RLLD said:

The Buckeyes aren't the only loaded roster in college. There's Alabama, LSU, Florida, Clemson, Texas, etc. They are all Factories. 

Stroud is a prototype, everything that you look for in an NFL QB. And this is coming from a die hard Penn State fan. 

I like Hendon Hooker a lot and feel he's very underrated. I think he'll be a dynasty steal for some. I'm hoping he falls to me in a couple leagues. 

12 hours ago, League Champion said:

I like Hendon Hooker a lot and feel he's very underrated. I think he'll be a dynasty steal for some. I'm hoping he falls to me in a couple leagues. 

hes a guy that could go in round 2 or 3 but still deliver first round value.   it is possible.    There is just more risk with him due to the injury and due to what he was asked to do in college.   so there is a larger transition there, and its harder to project what he will do at the nfl level.

There are certainly players all over the place who turn out to be better than advertised simply because the college they played for did not have a system in place that takes full advantage of the players skillset.

This happens in the pros too.

you cant blame a QB for running if the first 2 reads are not open if thats what the coach told him to do.  but you cannot tell if this is something they are able to do as a scout.   so the risk level goes up when drafting that particular player.   if they are taken later in the draft then the risk level evens out.   Lets face it... I'm far more willing to spend a second round pick on a player like Hooker because a miss on a 2nd round pick does not set your team back the way a miss on a first round pick would do.

7 hours ago, Ray_T said:

hes a guy that could go in round 2 or 3 but still deliver first round value.   it is possible.    There is just more risk with him due to the injury and due to what he was asked to do in college.   so there is a larger transition there, and its harder to project what he will do at the nfl level.

Agree 💯.  

I'm in a Dynasty Superflex and need QB help something bad. I have 1.02 and will most likely take Stroud there but I'm hoping to land Hooker late 2nd but I'm not sure he'll hang around that long, I'm hoping though. 

Bijan is gonna be the rookie everybody is after I suppose.

In my dynasty league, I'm sure he will be the first off the board unless something crazy happens at the draft. I'm not gonna have the first pick so, I'm not putting too much into it.

If he goes to the right team he could be a RB1 next season in about any format.

48 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Bijan is gonna be the rookie everybody is after I suppose.

In my dynasty league, I'm sure he will be the first off the board unless something crazy happens at the draft. I'm not gonna have the first pick so, I'm not putting too much into it.

If he goes to the right team he could be a RB1 next season in about any format.

Unless someone desperately needs a QB then Bijan is the clear #1 and it's not even close. I have 1.02 and unless the guy in front of me fat fingers the pick I'm taking a QB there. 😁

I do like him.  only concern with him for me is ball security. If it remains an issue it can keep him off the field. 

I like Gibbs too, but have some concerns about his size. but otherwise his skills are crazy good.

On 4/9/2023 at 1:52 PM, League Champion said:

Unless someone desperately needs a QB then Bijan is the clear #1 and it's not even close. I have 1.02 and unless the guy in front of me fat fingers the pick I'm taking a QB there. 😁

Either way, I don't see anybody taking a QB over a potential RB1.

A starting QB, at least in my league, is too easy to come by and RB1s are nearly impossible to come by.

Even if they have 3 top RBs, it will still be the top RB taken first

6 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Either way, I don't see anybody taking a QB over a potential RB1.

A starting QB, at least in my league, is too easy to come by and RB1s are nearly impossible to come by.

Even if they have 3 top RBs, it will still be the top RB taken first

In this case I agree, Bijan is special.

My league is a 12 Team Superflex, 2 QB league. Having a shot at a QB doesn't come often. 

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

In this case I agree, Bijan is special.

My league is a 12 Team Superflex, 2 QB league. Having a shot at a QB doesn't come often. 

Oh okay, that makes sense then. QBs are scarce!

Our is just 10 team, one starting QB. I have Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence.

I'm loaded up everywhere except RB. I have Kenneth Walker and that's it. That will dominate my draft day.

18 minutes ago, polecatt said:

Oh okay, that makes sense then. QBs are scarce!

Our is just 10 team, one starting QB. I have Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence.

I'm loaded up everywhere except RB. I have Kenneth Walker and that's it. That will dominate my draft day.

Tyjae Spears. Your welcome...

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Tyjae Spears. Your welcome...

It will be interesting to see where he ends up but I think he's a great prospect for my first pick

One thing I know about Jaxon Smith-Njigba is that his brother Canaan is really struggling with Pirates early on in the season.

16 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba

He'll catch 80+ balls year one if he goes somewhere with a decent QB. He'll be a target machine. 

18 hours ago, League Champion said:

He'll catch 80+ balls year one if he goes somewhere with a decent QB. He'll be a target machine. 

I think you're right and that Detroit takes him #6.

28 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think you're right and that Detroit takes him #6.

No way this pick is happening.... they have basically the same mold of WR in St.Brown right now and Jameson Williams coming back for a full season.  Way too many other holes to fill with the amount of premium defensive talent available at 6.  

Remember the Lions traded away former #3 overall pick and starting CB Jeffrey Okudah recently.... Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter Jr all more plausable picks for Lions at 6 plus the defensive line guys like Carter and Tyree Wilson.   

46 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

No way this pick is happening.... they have basically the same mold of WR in St.Brown right now and Jameson Williams coming back for a full season.  Way too many other holes to fill with the amount of premium defensive talent available at 6.  

Remember the Lions traded away former #3 overall pick and starting CB Jeffrey Okudah recently.... Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Porter Jr all more plausable picks for Lions at 6 plus the defensive line guys like Carter and Tyree Wilson.   

You're correct... I forgot about Williams.  With that being the case, CB is more likely.  Agreed.

18 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

You're correct... I forgot about Williams.  With that being the case, CB is more likely.  Agreed.

Hold that thought...

31 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Hold that thought...

lol was just thinking same thing.... six games, maybe he can appeal it down.  

3 minutes ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

lol was just thinking same thing.... six games, maybe he can appeal it down.  

maybe, but I doubt it. Gambling is a redline. at least he didn't bet on NFL games like Cephus...

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

I have the TEs in this order, most will disagree.

(1) Musgrave

(2) Kincaid

(3) Mayer 

I'm hearing good things about Sam LaPorta too.