Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

2023 Draft Class TE

I noticed that this years prospect class for TE seems to be deeper than usual.    

I thought I'd get some opinions.

here is a link to a PFF link and a draft buzz link.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-position-rankings-tight-end

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/TE/1/2023

any thoughts?

I’m not buying any of them in ff this season.  

It depends on what team and scheme they wind up with. In the right fit I could see Mayer being somewhat productive. Long term Kincaid will put up some good stats, probably not this year.

29 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

Doug will have at least a couple TE writeups in the next week or two.

I look forward to reading them

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

I’m not buying any of them in ff this season.  

Nor should you.  TE's are rarely productive in their rookie year.   It happens, but not a lot.

better bet in most cases is to not draft them but put them on your watch list.  if they show signs of an early breakout grab them off of waivers.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Nor should you.  TE's are rarely productive in their rookie year.   It happens, but not a lot.

better bet in most cases is to not draft them but put them on your watch list.  if they show signs of an early breakout grab them off of waivers.

Since I always draft a TE later into the double digit rounds I’m not even concern.  

19 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I noticed that this years prospect class for TE seems to be deeper than usual.    

I thought I'd get some opinions.

here is a link to a PFF link and a draft buzz link.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-position-rankings-tight-end

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/TE/1/2023

any thoughts?

Indeed....although "deeper than usual" is an understatement here.....one of best classes in recent memory, maybe last decade plus..... dynasty owners need take notice  

I took Kyle Pitts in my dynasty league with my first pick overall two years ago.

He's not really panned out yet from a fantasy standpoint. He was injured some last season, but I think the team, the Falcons are about the worst team scheme/QB wise.

I doubt any rookies are as talented as him this season.

I don't know that any rookie TE is gonna be that great for redraft.

For dynasty, it may be a good draft. Just have to be patient

2 hours ago, kcBlitzkrieg said:

Indeed....although "deeper than usual" is an understatement here.....one of best classes in recent memory, maybe last decade plus..... dynasty owners need take notice  

ok fair enough.   I saw there was more than 3 who could be starters an immediately determined it was better than average.   there could be up to 7 or 8 that could become starters.  possibly more.

agreed this is more of a dynasty league thing.

in any redraft or keeper league where you keep less than 5 these players are late picks or waiver wire pickups.

in Dynasty where your keep list is large, this is a very relevant development and if you have an aging TE starter or just dont have a good TE, this is a good year to fix that issue.

50 minutes ago, polecatt said:

I took Kyle Pitts in my dynasty league with my first pick overall two years ago.

He's not really panned out yet from a fantasy standpoint. He was injured some last season, but I think the team, the Falcons are about the worst team scheme/QB wise.

I doubt any rookies are as talented as him this season.

I don't know that any rookie TE is gonna be that great for redraft.

For dynasty, it may be a good draft. Just have to be patient

Not panned out?   he got 1000 yards receiving as a rookie?  how much more do you want?

sure last year wasnt great but he also didnt have a legit starting QB and was injured for much of the year.    injury plagued seasons I usually tend to ignore as they usually are not indicitive of the potential of the player (unless the player is injured all the time)

give this kid a legitimate starting QB I"m sure he bounces back

34 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

Not panned out?   he got 1000 yards receiving as a rookie?  how much more do you want?

More than 1 TD maybe?  He was supposed to be a good red zone target coming into the NFL.

Yes, the 1000 yards was great, but nobody is gonna be a great fantasy option with only 1 TD.

He's been a low level TE1 when healthy I guess. However, he was supposed to be a generational talent.

That's what I drafted him with the hopes of being. I spent the 3rd overall pick in a dynasty draft for him I believe it was.

I took him over Ja'Marr Chase with hopes he would live up to the hype and be a Kelce or Gronkowski. So far, I'm losing that one badly.

49 minutes ago, polecatt said:

More than 1 TD maybe?  He was supposed to be a good red zone target coming into the NFL.

true.  but usually your rookies learn the base offense first, and then once that is mastered they move to the red zone offense

while I fully agree you kind of hope for more than 1 TD.   when I see something like that I'm inclined to think its a fluke.    how many people do you know who get 1000 yards receiving and only 1 TD?   this might be the first time I've ever seen it.  usually you get at least 5 or 6.

but there were also a lot of things wrong with that team (there still is)   

I'm inclined to think the problem there is more situational.    they will draft a top QB prospect this year.    I'm inclined to think better days are ahead for this player

On 4/13/2023 at 1:41 PM, Ray_T said:

they will draft a top QB prospect this year.    I'm inclined to think better days are ahead for this player

Who are they getting at 8? Young, Stroud and Richardson will definitely be gone and Will Levis is worse than what they have. Unless they're moving up to 3 they're screwed. 

Falcons are going with Ridder as their starting QB this year and beyond, so they think now.  They won't draft a QB in the first round.  They will regret going with Ridder though.

41 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Falcons are going with Ridder as their starting this year and beyond, so they think now.  They won't draft a QB in the first round.  They will regret going with Ridder though.

I agree, they should trade up for Richardson to 

17 hours ago, League Champion said:

Who are they getting at 8? Young, Stroud and Richardson will definitely be gone and Will Levis is worse than what they have. Unless they're moving up to 3 they're screwed. 

I assumed they would trade up but comments since your post reminded me about riddler.   and yeah  I"m not sure its worth it to spend all kinds of draft capital to move up for anyone other than the top 2 qb prospects.    so this may actually be the direction they go.

either way, my point was the problem with Pitts is situational.  I dont think the problem is with Pitts himself.

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

either way, my point was the problem with Pitts is situational.  I dont think the problem is with Pitts himself.

I agree, he's a stud. Just a terrible situation for Fantasy purposes. Not his fault at all 

• Like 1

Both Mayer and Kincaid will go in the first round. If either of these two guys are available when Dallas picks they'll grab them. Yet I think both could go before Dallas picks. I like Kincaid for the Washington Commanders. He'll definitely help QB Sam Howell if he ends up being their starter. It's possible that the Patriots grab of of these 2 guys but Belichick may feel he can get a decent one later. Still I think that the top 5 ranked guys, Mayer,Kincaid,Darnell Washington,Luke Musgrave and Tucker Kraft will all be gone by the end of the 2nd round.

17 minutes ago, DocNiner said:

Both Mayer and Kincaid will go in the first round

I like all 3 but it wouldn't shock me at all if Musgrave was the first or second TE off the board either.