Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Who's getting drafted at #2?

I disagree with ones disagreement of me,   I think the Colts even more so then the Qb experts on this board know that they drafted hm with liabilities.  But they still drafted, and very early in the draft.  Minshew isn’t going to be their answer.  

I say give him the job , and let’s see what happens, if he is awful turn to the Minshew.  

Amen. 

10 hours ago, Ray_T said:

disagree.   if he has mechanics issues, this is the time /place to sit him to fix those.

The knocks on Richardson are almost identical to those of Josh Allen, inaccuracy and mechanics. Buffalo had Allen play through it while learning. That's what's going to happen with Richardson as well. There's no way the #4 overall pick is sitting behind Minshew, why?? 

5 hours ago, League Champion said:

The knocks on Richardson are almost identical to those of Josh Allen, inaccuracy and mechanics. Buffalo had Allen play through it while learning. That's what's going to happen with Richardson as well. There's no way the #4 overall pick is sitting behind Minshew, why?? 

Like I said, there are reasons, and if Mechanics need to be tweaked it is far easier to deal with those early in his career and wait a bit until he knows the playbook better.

but in the end it will probably come down to how well he plays in pre season (as usual)

They wont stick him out there if they dont think hes ready to perform.   He was projected to go later because he wasnt quite a finished product.   Just because they draft him sooner doesnt mean they should go a different path in development.   if sitting the first 3 or 4 games is deemed to be better for him It shouldnt matter if hes the #4, #30 or #1 overall pick.  if he needs it they should give it to him.

That said at a certain point you cant learn more without playing and they gotta throw the kid into the fire.    but it is far too early to see how he makes the pro transition.   He may be a natural or he may need to sit a bit.   but that is not our call to make at this point.    I have not seen him play in a pro offense so I'm saying lets wait and see before making any big predictions.

6 hours ago, Ray_T said:

I have not seen him play in a pro offense so I'm saying lets wait and see before making any big predictions.

Who knows what he'll be. He may be a total bust that never figures it out or he may be a TE in 3 years, who knows? I say throw him out there, you don't draft projects at 4. Let him play. 

8 minutes ago, League Champion said:

you don't draft projects at 4. Let him play. 

well, you shouldnt draft projects at 4. 

but it happens.   Especially at QB

34 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, you shouldnt draft projects at 4. 

but it happens.   Especially at QB

Not so much nowadays. You really only have 4 years to develop a QB before you have to commit to big money. I see no reason to sit him, how exactly does it help to sit & watch behind Minshew? 

It doesn’t.  

23 hours ago, League Champion said:

Who knows what he'll be. He may be a total bust that never figures it out or he may be a TE in 3 years, who knows? I say throw him out there, you don't draft projects at 4. Let him play. 

if people saw no value in a player sitting it would never happen.

yet a fair number of starting QB's have had to sit for at least a handful of games at the start of their career.    

so clearly there is some value to it.   whether its mastering the new offense or fixing the throwing mechanics.   or even deciding not to throw a young QB in behind a terrible line.

but there is value in it in certain situations.     Whether this is one of those situations remains to be seen.   I have not seen enough about this kid but some of the scouting reports suggested he is not a finished product.  Reading between the lines, it feels like he may not be NFL ready on day 1.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.   but throwing a kid in before he is ready can also ruin your QB prospect.   so there is an element of caution that needs to be taken.  it  is not as simple as taking a kid and saying 'hes a top 5 pick, lets play hin on day 1'

Goff sat nearly his whole first year.   and from what I saw and heard sitting him was a good call.   most QB dont sit a full year.   but a lot will sit for the first handful of games.   part of this is learning how to prepare for games like a pro.   part of this is repairing some deficiencies in their game.

but there are clearly cases where there is value to sitting a top QB prospect.

whether that applies here remains to be seen.  I'm not the one deciding and I have not seen enough of the kid to tell you whether hes NFL ready or not.

43 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

yet a fair number of starting QB's have had to sit for at least a handful of games at the start of their career.    

so clearly there is some value to it.   whether its mastering the new offense or fixing the throwing mechanics.   or even deciding not to throw a young QB in behind a terrible line.

but there is value in it in certain situations.     Whether this is one of those situations remains to be seen.   I have not seen enough about this kid but some of the scouting reports suggested he is not a finished product.  Reading between the lines, it feels like he may not be NFL ready on day 1.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.   but throwing a kid in before he is ready can also ruin your QB prospect.   so there is an element of caution that needs to be taken.  it  is not as simple as taking a kid and saying 'hes a top 5 pick, lets play hin on day 1'

Goff sat nearly his whole first year.   and from what I saw and heard sitting him was a good call.   most QB dont sit a full year.   but a lot will sit for the first handful of games.   part of this is learning how to prepare for games like a pro.   part of this is repairing some deficiencies in their game.

but there are clearly cases where there is value to sitting a top QB prospect.

whether that applies here remains to be seen.  I'm not the one deciding and I have not seen enough of the kid to tell you whether hes NFL ready or not.

What’s he going to learn behind a back up Qb.  Minshew isn’t all that good, unless the rookie is horrible in preseason, I’m starting him over a back up Qb.  

8 minutes ago, weepaws said:

What’s he going to learn behind a back up Qb.  Minshew isn’t all that good, unless the rookie is horrible in preseason, I’m starting him over a back up Qb.  

3270 yards in 14 games played in his rookie season prorates to 3700 yards over a 16 game season.   pretty good rookie year by any standards

second year was injury riddled but he put up 2259 yards in 9 games which pro rates to 4000 yards over a 16 game season.   then he lost his job to Trevor Lawrence.  

I would argue hes capable of starting.  there are plenty of starting QB who dont put up 4000 yards in a season.   in fact, only 9 QB put up 4000 yards last year.

hes not a top end Starter but I think he is definitely better than a fair number of players who started last year. 

people discount him because he doesnt put up a ton of rushing yards, but if you have a good team around you, he can likely get it done. 

hes a very underrated player.     

What I dont know is whether his skills have stagnated by sitting on the bench behind Hurts.    Thats the unknown.   But if Richardson isnt ready to go day 1 Minshew is not a bad option at all.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

A #4 overall pick? Those days are over. He has to play right away, and he will. 

1 minute ago, Ray_T said:

Minshew is not a bad option at all.

I had the luxury of watching him last year when Jalen Hurts was injured. He was absolutely brutally bad. 

6 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

3270 yards in 14 games played in his rookie season prorates to 3700 yards over a 16 game season.   pretty good rookie year by any standards

second year was injury riddled but he put up 2259 yards in 9 games which pro rates to 4000 yards over a 16 game season.   then he lost his job to Trevor Lawrence.  

I would argue hes capable of starting.  there are plenty of starting QB who dont put up 4000 yards in a season.   in fact, only 9 QB put up 4000 yards last year.

hes not a top end Starter but I think he is definitely better than a fair number of players who started last year. 

people discount him because he doesnt put up a ton of rushing yards, but if you have a good team around you, he can likely get it done. 

hes a very underrated player.     

What I dont know is whether his skills have stagnated by sitting on the bench behind Hurts.    Thats the unknown.   But if Richardson isnt ready to go day 1 Minshew is not a bad option at all.

Sadly for the Colts, Minshew would be their only option if the rookie isn’t ready.  

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Sadly for the Colts, Minshew would be their only option if the rookie isn’t ready.  

Richardson is not ready, rookie QBs are never ready. Minshew isn't ready either, he sucks. I'll take 50% of Richardson over 100% of Minshew. 

Boy, you guys don't Minshew words, do you?

Tell us how you REALLY feel...

7 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Boy, you guys don't Minshew words, do you?

Tell us how you REALLY feel...

😂  I was really disappointed in him last season when Hurts was out. And that was on a loaded team. He'll suck even worse in Indy. 

2 minutes ago, League Champion said:

😂  I was really disappointed in him last season when Hurts was out. And that was on a loaded team. He'll suck even worse in Indy. 

He has the pedigree (Air Raid offense in college) and showed some potential as a rookie.  He does seem to have regressed since then, and did nothing with the opportunities he had in Philly.

He could at least make things interesting for the Colts--but if he doesn't get back to the potential he showed in those early years, Richardson should get the job on a silver platter.

Colts drafted him at #4, they’re going to start him.  Can’t see him learning much watching a bench warmer like Minshew. 

6 hours ago, weepaws said:

Colts drafted him at #4, they’re going to start him.  Can’t see him learning much watching a bench warmer like Minshew. 

Agree, it would be an insult to sit him behind Minshew who's a career backup.i could see if it was Tannehill, Matt Ryan or someone like that.