Sign in to follow this  
TimHauck

Death pool update: the woman at the center of Emmett Till lynching

I think I’m more surprised that there are 18 members of Congress 88 or older.  Do they function better than Biden?

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

I think I’m more surprised that there are 18 members of Congress 88 or older.  Do they function better than Biden?

In Diane Feinstein's case, no.

What happened to Emmitt till was indeed awful. As to the author's point, again, we need to go to stuff that happened pre-1965 to find actual racism.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Now that she's dead, guys like you will retcon the story, if you already haven't.

What’s the real story?

36 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Now that she's dead, guys like you will retcon the story, if you already haven't.

Are you claiming that her book manuscript is fake? I've not read it, but if it is not authentic, she never denied writing it that I know of.

This is as open and shut a case as could be. They even all confessed to it in a magazine article afterwards. 

As for her story ... you can believe she pleaded for his life, that she didn't identify Emmiitt and even that he grabbed her wrist if you want, I suppose. Where there is no doubt though that it was her husband and his brother that kidnapped, tortured, and murdered Emmitt.

5 hours ago, TimHauck said:

88?  18?  There's only 2.... Grassley and Feinstein.

10 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

88?  18?  There's only 2.... Grassley and Feinstein.

Whoops sorry I read the tweet wrong.   He said older than Till, not Bryant

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

:thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Oh. You read it wrong, so you weren’t wrong. Good for you but if someone misses a plus sign, well, they’re just idiots. Hack. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TimHauck said:

What’s the real story?

Innocent black kid goes into a store to buy Skittles, bumps into a white woman by accident, gets killed for it.  Oh sorry, that's your anticipated retcon.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

Are you claiming that her book manuscript is fake? I've not read it, but if it is not authentic, she never denied writing it that I know of.

No, I don't have an opinion on it.  I'm claiming that certain elements of this society will distort the story to make it worse than it already is.  Then they will weaponize that distorted story to further marginalize white people.

55 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Innocent black kid goes into a store to buy Skittles, bumps into a white woman by accident, gets killed for it.  Oh sorry, that's your anticipated retcon.

Did they have skittles back then?  I would think not.  i just looked.  The answer is 1974 overseas and not introduced here until 1982.

1 minute ago, Engorgeous George said:

Did they have skittles back then?  I would think not.

We had pebbles. Not the cereal. Actual pebbles. That were painted different colors. And by different? I mean black or white. We didn't have no fancy coloreds. And we were grateful. That is the closest thing to Candy we had. So we'd suck on rocks all damn day long. Yes sir. 

1 minute ago, Casual Observer said:

No, I don't have an opinion on it.  I'm claiming that certain elements of this society will distort the story to make it worse than it already is.  Then they will weaponize that distorted story to further marginalize white people.

Emmitt did whistle at the beautiful white lady, which was a social no-no in Mississippi in 1955. His cousins confirm both the whistle and the cultural norms. She says he also touched her wrist, which the cousins deny. 

What happened next though was a huge overreaction. Her husband and his brother kidnapped, tortured, and murdered him.

You can believe her story that Emmitt touched her wrist and can also believe her story that she begged her husband/BiL not to hurt him. But what they did to him was brutal. That they both got off scott free from an all white jury, despite massive evidence, really highlights the racial problems the country was dealing with in 1955. Then they went on to admit what they'd done in a magazine article after the trial was over. They deserved more than marginalization, they deserved murder convictions.

4 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

How was his body recovered so easily?  

It's a good question. They tied him to a fan with barbed wire. You'd think that would have kept him underwater permanently.

5 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

How was his body recovered so easily?  

I'm sure Stew Peters has an answer

Were I disposing of a body which were evidence of my crime i would go very remote and i would have redundancy that it would not be found adn would decay rapidly.  Of course his killers were arrogent, counting on the racial climate of the time to protect them, and it turns out they were not wrong.

13 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Emmitt did whistle at the beautiful white lady, which was a social no-no in Mississippi in 1955. His cousins confirm both the whistle and the cultural norms. She says he also touched her wrist, which the cousins deny. 

What happened next though was a huge overreaction. Her husband and his brother kidnapped, tortured, and murdered him.

You can believe her story that Emmitt touched her wrist and can also believe her story that she begged her husband/BiL not to hurt him. But what they did to him was brutal. That they both got off scott free from an all white jury, despite massive evidence, really highlights the racial problems the country was dealing with in 1955. Then they went on to admit what they'd done in a magazine article after the trial was over. They deserved more than marginalization, they deserved murder convictions.

Leave 1955's problems back in 1955.  By marginalization, I don't mean the perpetrators of the crime, I mean "white people" in general.  That's the only real reason it's being brought up today.  

21 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Did they have skittles back then?  I would think not.  i just looked.  the answer is 1974 overseas and not introduced here until 1982.

Good work, Professor.  Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

Good work, Professor.  Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

I have.  I also equated this with the George Zimmerman story, giving you credit, maybe, for some connection.  No, I was just having a bit of fun.  if that offended you, well, have a great day.  

20 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

Leave 1955's problems back in 1955.  By marginalization, I don't mean the perpetrators of the crime, I mean "white people" in general.  That's the only real reason it's being brought up today.  

I agree with you on this. Emmitt Till's case highlights why the reforms made a decade after 1955 were necessary. Digging up those old segregation era ghosts divides us badly.

As far as the prosecution bit, every DoJ since then, including Obama's and Biden's, has declined to pursue a case against anyone alive that may have had a part in this death. With Carolyn Bryant's passing, there's likely nobody left to pursue.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I agree with you on this.

As far as the prosecution bit, every DoJ since then, including Obama's and Biden's, has declined to pursue a case against anyone alive that may have had a part in this death. With Carolyn Bryant's passing, there's likely nobody left to pursue.

There's black on white, racially-motivated violent crime happening every day in this Country.  Does it make the NY Times or investigation by any arm of the Fed. Gov't.?  I'd love to see examples.

There's black on white, racially-motivated violent crime happening every day in this Country.  Does it make the NY Times or investigation by any arm of the Fed. Gov't.?  I'd love to see examples.

If/when it does, it falls out of the news cycle quickly because it doesn't fit the narrative. I'm thinking of the young mother who trended on twitter for a day who got killed for saying "all lives matter." 

Doing a google search for her demonstrates how scant the coverage was: https://www.google.com/search?q=all+lives+matter+murdered&newwindow=1&sxsrf=APwXEdfJTgqcxaIDuI5ZFtu2xJbLTUhvZg%3A1682695091083&source=hp&ei=s-NLZI3JAvi20PEP1s2i-AY&iflsig=AOEireoAAAAAZEvxw2iD2nY-0FlZ37kD-crzjs-I_4Mh&ved=0ahUKEwjN7qrZ78z-AhV4GzQIHdamCG8Q4dUDCAs&uact=5&oq=all+lives+matter+murdered&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAM6BAgjECc6BwgjEIoFECc6EQguEIAEELEDEIMBEMcBENEDOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQ0QM6CwguEIoFELEDEIMBOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoFCAAQgAQ6CAguEIAEENQCOg4ILhCKBRCxAxDHARDRAzoICC4QgAQQsQM6DgguEMcBELEDENEDEIAEOgsILhCABBCxAxDUAjoLCAAQgAQQsQMQyQM6CAgAEIoFEJIDOggIABCABBCxAzoFCC4QgAQ6CwguENQCELEDEIAEOgsILhCABBDHARCvAVAAWMsdYIwfaABwAHgAgAHSAYgBixySAQYwLjI0LjGYAQCgAQE&sclient=gws-wiz#ip=1

22 minutes ago, Casual Observer said:

OK, that's Twitter and some internet outlets.  The New York Times didn't feature it.  How about the DOJ?  Any word on an investigation?

The media buries stories like this if they report it at all. Not all of them though. To their credit, the IndyStar did a follow up story two years later. https://www.indystar.com/story/news/crime/2022/07/05/jessica-doty-whitaker-case-remains-unsolved-two-years-after-shooting/7782031001/

Unfortunately, we learn from that story that the Indianapolis police never made any arrests. Meanwhile, there is not mention of DOJ involvement.

12 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Dang that's a shame and was just thinking about her the other day.

It always happens in threes.  First Harry Belafonte and Jerry Springer.  :( 

20 minutes ago, Mookz said:

It always happens in threes.  First Harry Belafonte and Jerry Springer.  :( 

Yep and this so miner famous person that I never heard off till this post by the OP.

Liberals are obsessed by a woman's actions back in 1955, so let's focus on that and not all the murderers in St. Louis, Chicago, Philthy, Baltimore, etc. in current day America.