Fumbleweed

**2023 PGA Championship Thread**

Golf's second major of the year with arguably its deepest field as well starts in just two weeks. I have always enjoyed the PGA Championship as the actual tournament is often more compelling than both the US and British Opens, and it is the only major I have ever attended in person (on three different occasions). This year, the championship returns to New York state where Jason Dufner prevailed a decade ago. The following is my top ten predictions two weeks out, which means changes are still possible between now and May 18th depending on what happens in Charlotte and Dallas the next two weekends. 

1. Cameron Young- This will be a trendy pick, so I hate to just align with that trend...that said, he's the guy I think will win, so I won't get cute with the pick. It's a home game for him and he's terrific. 

2. Collin Morikawa- I think the course is a fit for Morikawa to the point that I would almost put him as a co-favorite. I know he's been a bit up and down in recent months, but he's still a stud. 

3. Jon Rahm- Only a very foolish or spiteful person would leave Rahm out of the top three at any major this year. He's golf's alpha male at present and for good reason.  

4. Tony Finau- Yes, Mexico didn't have a great field, but the way in which he closed out that tournament was impressive. Still contending for that first major and I think he'll contend well here. 

5. Jason Day- Still torn as to whether or not Day ever picks up his second major, but he sure has been trending well this year so far. A top-5 finish seems like a good bet to me. 

6. Scottie Scheffler- If Rahm is golf's alpha male (he is), Scheffler is the one guy nipping at his heels. Such a consistent top player- can win anywhere at any time. 

7. Davis Riley- Someone always contends at the PGA who really isn't supposed to. Riley is my pick for that guy this go-around. 

8. Talor Gooch- I think he will qualify for the PGA and assuming he does, it's impossible to ignore his run of late on the LIV circuit. 

9. Rory McIlroyRory's amazing history at the PGA keeps him in the top ten and he could move up after this weekend's showing at Quail Hollow. We shall see. 

10. Keegan Bradley- Returned on site in 2013 to congratulate Dufner long after he had originally left. There's got to be some good karma associated with that. 

16 days and counting... 

1.02 - Brooks Koepka 

Just deleted a post about HOV thinking this was about the wells fargo for a second for whatever reason.  Still like him to compete well here.  

I wil say Fitz as a name to put in.  Not calling a winner but he was supposed to have a big year.  I think he may of been injured but he seems to be finding it now like everyone expected coming in. 10th at Masters.  Won at RBC.  He isn't an iron player but new found distance last couple years and he likes difficult tournements.   

If you look at thr past results many shorter hitters compete here.  I wouldn't take a Rahm or someone off becauee they are just that good.  But Oak Hil brings in some of the shorter hitters compared to many major venues.

Brooks is going to have a baby. Not sure it will impact his play much, but can you imagine what its going to do to Jena? Slender frame like hers, that stomach will look like a tie dyed patterned t-shirt 🤮

• Haha 1

I appreciate the PGA Championship, but fully admit she's the redheaded stepchild of the major rotation. 

I've a buddy that we go around and around on it being just as big as the other 3...... My rebuttal to him is always the same - No kid has ever stood on a practice green pretending to have to make a 5 footer to win the PGA... I'm sorry, they just haven't. 

Oak Hill is a beautiful track but sucks ass for actual viewing. I went to the 2013 PGA, never again. I wouldn't go for free.

99 of the top 100 ranked golfers are all at the PGA this week.

Thergio Garthia is the only one who is missing. 

On 5/4/2023 at 6:50 AM, dain11279 said:

Oak Hill is a beautiful track but sucks ass for actual viewing. I went to the 2013 PGA, never again. I wouldn't go for free.

I wouldn't ever go to a PGA event anywhere for free. 1st time I went was free too and it sucked. 

If I am not in the group, I have no interest in watching in person. Give my my 65 inch tv and my electric couch

55 minutes ago, edjr said:

99 of the top 100 ranked golfers are all at the PGA this week.

Thergio Garthia is the only one who is missing. 

Here's a link to the full field. Actually, Garcia is out of the top 100 at present. Zalatoris is the guy missing. 

https://www.pgachampionship.com/news-media/articles/full-field-list-for-the-2023-pga-championship

On 5/3/2023 at 10:18 PM, Cruzer said:

I appreciate the PGA Championship, but fully admit she's the redheaded stepchild of the major rotation. 

I've a buddy that we go around and around on it being just as big as the other 3...... My rebuttal to him is always the same - No kid has ever stood on a practice green pretending to have to make a 5 footer to win the PGA... I'm sorry, they just haven't. 

I think you're mostly right, but my son probably is the exception. He has now been to three PGA Championships in person- it is the only major he's ever seen up close, so it is his favorite. We're going to try to go again when he finishes college in 2027 and it's in Frisco. 

I have a buddy in Rochester and he knows or at least conversed with a couple members who expect it to play much easier.  I know they took out a bunch of trees so there may be shots to be made from off target tee balls more than before.  But I have a hard time believing ot will be considerably easier.  Im sure that rough in May will be thick as hell.

1 hour ago, edjr said:

I wouldn't ever go to a PGA event anywhere for free. 1st time I went was free too and it sucked. 

If I am not in the group, I have no interest in watching in person. Give my my 65 inch tv and my electric couch

When they had the WGC at Firestone in Akron that was awesome. So many places you could sit and see multiple holes and angles. Oak Hill is the complete opposite. Can’t see sh1t there.

Being at a Major is just different. I'd say any tournament really. Pick a hole and watch groups go through, follow your favorites. Hang out at the range and see how these guys work up close. Maybe get to meet a few.

As far as majors I have been to 2 PGA's ,  Phil's win at Baltusrol and Jimmy Walker's :wall: win at Baltusrol .... and 1 US Open. Brooks win at Shinnecock. 

On 5/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, Fumbleweed said:

I think you're mostly right, but my son probably is the exception. He has now been to three PGA Championships in person- it is the only major he's ever seen up close, so it is his favorite. We're going to try to go again when he finishes college in 2027 and it's in Frisco. 

I'm def geeked up for this PGA, absolutely love famed Oak Hill.... As happy AF as I am that a major is finally returning to Texas - still can't believe the PGA is relocating here from Ponte Vedra. 

On 5/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, listen2me 23 said:

I have a buddy in Rochester and he knows or at least conversed with a couple members who expect it to play much easier.  I know they took out a bunch of trees so there may be shots to be made from off target tee balls more than before.  But I have a hard time believing ot will be considerably easier.  Im sure that rough in May will be thick as hell.

The buddy is off.   

Listened to Shane Lowry give and answer on what score would put him into contention come late sunday and he said 4 or 5 under you may not be far off the lead.  

Cam Young misses cut

58 minutes ago, edjr said:

Cam Young misses cut

Cam Young doesn't miss cuts... :nono:

Rory in post-round interview:

"Ya no, I'm fighting sumtin... Uh, yea I thought I got a great night sleep last night and I looked at my whip and I was at 22% recovery and my skin temperature was 3 1/2 degrees higher than what its been, so...."

WHAT IN THE HOLY FOCK?? :huh: :doh: 

This dude has gone off the rails, is a total fock'n quack now. Hogan has to rolling over in his grave shaking his head. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, Fumbleweed said:

Cam Young doesn't miss cuts... :nono:

+3 today, he is trying his best

On 5/10/2023 at 10:22 AM, edjr said:

Phoenix Open is a blast.  :cheers: 

On 5/16/2023 at 10:52 AM, edjr said:

Cam Young misses cut

@Fumbleweed  I think Shaq said it best. how's my ass taste?

When Koepka is healthy, top 5 player in the world.

That is triggering to some.

On 5/2/2023 at 5:29 PM, Fumbleweed said:

Golf's second major of the year with arguably its deepest field as well starts in just two weeks. I have always enjoyed the PGA Championship as the actual tournament is often more compelling than both the US and British Opens, and it is the only major I have ever attended in person (on three different occasions). This year, the championship returns to New York state where Jason Dufner prevailed a decade ago. The following is my top ten predictions two weeks out, which means changes are still possible between now and May 18th depending on what happens in Charlotte and Dallas the next two weekends. 

1. Cameron Young- This will be a trendy pick, so I hate to just align with that trend...that said, he's the guy I think will win, so I won't get cute with the pick. It's a home game for him and he's terrific. 

2. Collin Morikawa- I think the course is a fit for Morikawa to the point that I would almost put him as a co-favorite. I know he's been a bit up and down in recent months, but he's still a stud. 

3. Jon Rahm- Only a very foolish or spiteful person would leave Rahm out of the top three at any major this year. He's golf's alpha male at present and for good reason.  

4. Tony Finau- Yes, Mexico didn't have a great field, but the way in which he closed out that tournament was impressive. Still contending for that first major and I think he'll contend well here. 

5. Jason Day- Still torn as to whether or not Day ever picks up his second major, but he sure has been trending well this year so far. A top-5 finish seems like a good bet to me. 

6. Scottie Scheffler- If Rahm is golf's alpha male (he is), Scheffler is the one guy nipping at his heels. Such a consistent top player- can win anywhere at any time. 

7. Davis Riley- Someone always contends at the PGA who really isn't supposed to. Riley is my pick for that guy this go-around. 

8. Talor Gooch- I think he will qualify for the PGA and assuming he does, it's impossible to ignore his run of late on the LIV circuit. 

9. Rory McIlroyRory's amazing history at the PGA keeps him in the top ten and he could move up after this weekend's showing at Quail Hollow. We shall see. 

10. Keegan Bradley- Returned on site in 2013 to congratulate Dufner long after he had originally left. There's got to be some good karma associated with that. 

16 days and counting... 

You really should delete this and never try again. Ouch. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Reality said:

Keep the word triggering to the political “topics”

40 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Nah, I'll do what I want. Thanks for expressing your concern though.

15 hours ago, Reality said:

The PGA might have to swallow their pride and come to some sort of agreement. it is stupid now that the PGA doesn't have these guys. 

46 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

You sound triggered. 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

You sound triggered. 

It is the buzz word of choice for middle aged political hacks 😂 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

The PGA might have to swallow their pride and come to some sort of agreement. it is stupid now that the PGA doesn't have these guys. 

I’ve defended LIV the entire time and blasted the PGA Tour for how it’s handling things but I fully realize if I was in Jay boys shoes, I’d probably be just as pissed to be losing top players (both in talent and name value) for 14 weeks a year. 

but it’s still such a joke that Rory or whoever can go play a DP World Tour event and that’s fine. Or someone from the DP can come over and play a PGA event… earn their tour cards even. LIV is just another tour. They only hate it because they have nothing to gain from it. 

You have to play 15 events to keep your pga your card… should have not banned anyone and seen who really wanted to keep playing on the tour. You’d have to play 7 months of events between LIV and PGA 

of course the easier thing is for the powers that be to grant world ranking points and just focus on the major eligibility 

I’d love to see Brooks and Bryson on the final group Sunday.  👍

I'm on record as one of the few (outwardly spoken) Koepka fans here..........or anywhere else for that matter really. 

Happy as hell to see him win it.... To think Brooks came back from 2 major knee injuries, multiple surgeries and countless hours of rehab - while Rory is monitoring recovery percentage rates and skin temps - it's laughable. Maybe that's why Brooks has 5 in the bank now and Jay-Boy's parrot only has 4. 

When fully healthy, when all are on their games - Koepka's game is the best, I honestly believe it. 

On 5/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, edjr said:

You really should delete this and never try again. Ouch. 

Nah. I'll be up and running again for the US Open. Sometimes, you call it right and sometimes you don't. After the way your drafted team performed, I'm surprised you're in here slinging arrows... 

On 5/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, edjr said:

@Fumbleweed  I think Shaq said it best. how's my ass taste?

I was surprised by Young's performance. First missed cut in forever. Thought a native upstate New Yorker would perform well. As it turned out, it was the nearby Canadians who performed well...for three rounds at least.