Sign in to follow this  
TheNewGirl

How do you MEN feel about...

The dad bod? 

Do you embrace it if you have one? Do you work hard to be super thin or fit because dad bods are gross? 

What's the male take on the whole "dad bod" thing? 

At the moment I have a bit of a dad bod.  I'd say it's just a question of motivation.  I'd like to get a bit trimmer but other priorities always seem to take precedence.  Probably a level of lazy in there as well.  When I quit drinking a few years ago I was hoping that would help but it's made minimal difference.  Probably because I drink more soda now.  I can have ONE vice, can't I???? 

:(

• Haha 1

Not my thing, I prefer to have a nice bod.  At the moment I've started to venture into dad bod territory because I'm recovering from a surgery and only recently started working out again.  I don't like it; I like to look good for my wife.  And she feels the same for me (and for all of the other geeks of course).  I think that once you give up on trying to be sexually attractive to your mate, you relationship loses something.

• Like 2

Just now, jerryskids said:

Not my thing, I prefer to have a nice bod.  At the moment I've started to venture into dad bod territory because I'm recovering from a surgery and only recently started working out again.  I don't like it; I like to look good for my wife.  And she feels the same for me (and for all of the other geeks of course).  I think that once you give up on trying to be sexually attractive to your mate, you relationship loses something.

Your wife doesn't mind my dad bod.  Just sayin.......

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

The dad bod? 

Do you embrace it if you have one? Do you work hard to be super thin or fit because dad bods are gross? 

3 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Sure, but, (looking for TNG to confirm here) looks aren't at the top of women's list like it is for most men.  If you're a good provider, self confident, funny and generally fun to be with you can get away will a little beer gut as a guy.

1 minute ago, Horseman said:

Sure, but, (looking for TNG to confirm here) looks aren't at the top of women's list like it is for most men.  If you're a good provider, self confident, funny and generally fun to be with you can get away will a little beer gut as a guy.

I agree that in general it is more important to men that their women keep fit.  And "fit" can be somewhat subjective:  for a while I was too skinny (going through treatments and all) and my wife thought I looked better fattened up a little.  I just feel better about myself when I am in better shape, and I think that helps with confidence.

• Like 1

I have kids that are 18, 16 and 13.  I could probably prioritize healthy eating and exercise more but I don't just because there is so damn much always going on.   I was going good there for awhile and was probably 20 pounds lighter and would like to get back to that.

Every time I see “dad bod” it’s a pic of some guy who’s just straight up fat or a normally super fit actor who’s on break and looks like he’s in better shape than 95% of men anyway.

1 hour ago, TheNewGirl said:

It is what it is is. I guess it's the equivalent to a female being "thick" I guess? 

I can't lie, I'm definitely not fat but nowhere near what I once was and probably have a dad bod. 

If I was super cool, I would add a video. But Eddie Murphy  got it right.

Once we make you "oooh hoo"....

Yeah it's fine.  I'm in good shape, run every day.  Haven't lifted in years but plan to start again this summer, not to look good, just to feel good.  I'm 50 now so not trying to look like I'm 30 anymore.

Just now, GutterBoy said:

Yeah it's fine.  I'm in good shape, run every day.  Haven't lifted in years but plan to start again this summer, not to look good, just to feel good.  I'm 50 now so not trying to look like I'm 30 anymore.

Hey d0uchbag - she's asking men how they feel.  That means you're not allowed to respond in this thread since you're not a dude.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

She asked how "Men feel". Wrong thread 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

The dad bod? 

I do not know what a dad bod is.  :dunno:

Being in better shape would be nice, but after 28+ years of marriage, it is not a priority.   finding work/life balance is already a challenge without blocking time for working out.  

I see it as X amount more time per day without my family.

I'm curious of the origin of the term " DAD bod".  Does this mean that black men don't have this problem?  

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, TheNewGirl said:

The dad bod? 

I definitely have it.  A little pudgy with some cute little A cups.  But I honestly don’t give a fck what anyone thinks about it.  I make 6 figures, the household income is over a quarter mil in the midwest, we have a great pool to enjoy all summer and late into fall, my whole family is in good health, my kids are both fantastic, living the life I want.  I had been on track to retire at 62 but now it looks like maybe 57.  Why would I care if someone is judging my physique?  I go to the Y but the goal with that is strength, not slimming.  I recently decided to get back to running but that’s only because I wanna run with my son.

I give zero fcks what anyone thinks about how I look without a shirt.  My life is an embarrassment of riches.

I’m in good shape but I used to have the dad bod and I hated it. 48 and I’m getting to the point where I’m saying in 10 years. My body could be a lot different and I need to get in shape while I still can.

I lift just about every day and I get up 200 shots in the gym every day. My last grasp on youth athleticism I guess.

:unsure: Um...

After I hit that home run, I took my bat and went home.

You know, I reall would like to be able to hit another home run if needed, but I know that I won't ever need to, and its a helluva lot of work to maintain, and that donut over there looks really yummy.

Not me and workout 4 times a week and eat healthy most of the time. Probably built better then 90 % of the 20 year olds. Last year this time I was worse then a dad body.

2 hours ago, cyclone24 said:

I’m in good shape but I used to have the dad bod and I hated it. 48 and I’m getting to the point where I’m saying in 10 years. My body could be a lot different and I need to get in shape while I still can.

I lift just about every day and I get up 200 shots in the gym every day. My last grasp on youth athleticism I guess.

200 shots everyday ? How much Juice are you on ?

8 hours ago, BeenHereBefore said:

200 shots everyday ? How much Juice are you on ?

Lol. I walked into that one didnt i. 🤣

No, it's unhealthy and gross. Another term for lazy and undisciplined.

Stop drinking through the week for no reason, eat better and get your heart rate up a few times a week. Society normalizing fat people is absurd.

12 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

What are you responding for?  She said "men"  

As long as you are actually healthy, who cares.  But the truth is that extra weight is never healthy. 

• Like 1

i'd feel you anytime. 

I have a dad bod but I'd rather not have it.  I'm not willing to make the changes needed to get rid of it yet though.  Changing my diet isn't too hard but cutting out the craft beer is the hardest for me.  Exercising also sucks so I'll be rocking this bod for a while yet.

11 hours ago, Gepetto said:

Interesting.  The girl who said something like "I'm into dads.  I like my dad."  She's maybe a little crazy in the sack.  :o :wub: 

But for them, I wonder if "dad bods" means "not gym bro so into his looks" or "fat tub of goo." :dunno: 

13 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Interesting.  The girl who said something like "I'm into dads.  I like my dad."  She's maybe a little crazy in the sack.  :o :wub: 

But for them, I wonder if "dad bods" means "not gym bro so into his looks" or "fat tub of goo." :dunno: 

Yeah, again for 100s of thousands of years as hunters and gatherers a little extra weight meant you were a good provider. I'm not sure we're evolved past that yet for attraction.  I'd guess being short or low intelligence being more a factor on who women want to breed with.  

17 minutes ago, Horseman said:

Yeah, again for 100s of thousands of years as hunters and gatherers a little extra weight meant you were a good provider. I'm not sure we're evolved past that yet for attraction.  I'd guess being short or low intelligence being more a factor on who women want to breed with.  

Being hairy use to be a sign of manliness as well.  Now smooth and shiny has been the thing.

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Being hairy use to be a sign of manliness as well.  Now smooth and shiny has been the thing.

That would be more of a climate/region thing, like skin color.

1 minute ago, Horseman said:

That would be more of a climate/region thing, like skin color.

Then I still fit the ruggedly handsome profile for northerners. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Nah. 

Keeping in mind that I have been married for 22 years...I find that I am more attracted to dudes that have a little bit of meat on them. Someone above likened that to the actor who was once in great shape, but has slacked off a bit. Kind of the out-of-shape Aquaman, but not necessarily Fat Bro Thor. 

I also like a little bit of hair; chest, maybe a little beard or scruff. NOT into full length beards, they look nasty/smelly. 

I guess I am still one of those women who like men who look like men, the alpha type. I am always attracted to taller/bigger guys.

• Like 1