Blue Horseshoe

Governor Newsom (D) CA Reparations Panel: $1.2 Million Per Black Resident (EDIT: Now 14 Trillion)

California reparations panel hints at $1.2 million payments to each Black resident

Economists advising California’s task force for reparations have estimated that it will cost $1.2 million per Black resident, paid over a lifetime.....California is one of multiple states debating the feasibility of economic reparations for Black Americans whose ancestors were victimized by the Atlantic slave trade and its legacy, despite the fact California was designated as a free state when it joined the Union.....

....California's reparations task force is preparing to recommend that the Golden State apologize and issue "down payments" to Black residents as a way to make amends for slavery and discrimination, although the state explicitly outlawed slavery when it joined the Union in 1850.....The task force, created by state legislation signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom in 2020, on Monday published more than 500 pages of documents that indicate it plans to recommend California issue a formal apology for slavery and racism and consider payments of varying amounts to eligible Black Californians....

....."The panel is preparing its final report to send to the Legislature, which will include a recommendation on the amount and form of cash payments," the outlet wrote. "Task force members are expected to vote Saturday at Mills College in Oakland on whether to adopt the draft report, the capstone of its work after two years of tense meetings and in-depth research."....‘Whatever the task force decides, the Legislature and Newsom will have the final say. If reparations are approved, state officials would have to figure out how to pay for the program," the outlet wrote. "An economist for the reparations panel has said the plan could cost California more than $800 billion; the state has a roughly $297 billion annual budget....."

Despite being nearly three times the state’s overall budget, a member of the task force in April dismissed concerns about the total cost, saying it was as the "least important piece" of their proposal.....The Chronicle noted that one key aspect is that the program does not distribute reparations merely for slavery, but for other economic and cultural issues seen as the legacy of slavery itself such as "mass incarceration and over-policing in Black communities," "discrimination in housing," and "health harms, including unequal access to health care, greater exposure to environmental pollution and discrimination from medical workers...."

In April, Detroit's reparations task force met. Kofi Kenyatta, a senior policy director of UpTogether told the task force: "Reparations can mean a lot of things but it must include, no strings attached, direct cash to Black people....." 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/california-reparations-panel-hints-1-2-million-payments-each-black-resident

"It doesn't seem self evident to me that I'm to blame for slavery."

- Jordan Peterson

"Reparations, I believe, are talked about for political reasons, trying to cater for the purpose of getting votes. If Congress was serious about reparations - in '93 and '94 the Democrats controlled the House, the Senate and the White House, and not one single Republican vote was needed for reparations."

- J. C. Watts

"We've got to stand up at some point and say, 'We are not gonna pay slavery reparations in the United States Congress.' That war's been fought. That was over a century ago. That debt was paid for in blood, and it was paid for in the blood of a lot of Yankees, especially. And there's no reparations for the blood that paid for the sin of slavery."

- Steve King

“You don't right the wrongs of past by wronging the people of the present.”

- Phil Valentine, The God Players

“Seldom is the claim made that black Americans alive at this moment are worse off than if their ancestors had been left in Africa. Any attempt to make that case with statistics on income, life expectancy, or numerous other variables would collapse like a house of cards.”

- Thomas Sowell, The Quest for Cosmic Justice

Welcome to the new America.  

59 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Do it. Please do it. 

Just as long as it stays in CA.  🤞

My nephew is mixed and lives in Sacramento. Texted my brother today... Let's get this $$! 

So dumb, I pray this happens.

33 minutes ago, DonS said:

Just as long as it stays in CA.  🤞

They wont. Although it is gullible spineless California leftoids who are 100% responsible for this, when the bills come due, they'll flee and contaminate the rest of America with their retarded perverted brain cancer. 

No offense Don, but hopefully most of them go your way since you're already totally focked over anyway, with-or-without them.

5 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

They wont. Although it is gullible spineless California leftoids who are 100% responsible for this, when the bills come due, they'll flee and contaminate the rest of America with their retarded perverted brain cancer. 

No offense Don, but hopefully most of them go your way since you're already totally focked over anyway, with-or-without them.

Oh I know without a doubt that if CA does this then WA will immediately follow suit.

Only glimmer of hope is that Jay Inslee announced he will not run for re-election for governor in 2024.  🤞

:lol: at how retarded white California liberals are. 

All these spineless, idiot white leftoids will just capitulate on this, then flee to some other states, leaving behind illegal aliens to foot the bill for reparations paid to people who were never slaves because slavery existed a long time ago in a far off region of the country.

At least what happens to California will be funny ... until the unwelcome pieces of sh*t start voting in your community's elections.

Fock Off, California. Fock Off. Stay home. Fock off.

blacks are drifting towards the GOP.  they are trying to blatantly buy their votes to arrest the trend.

So, I'm curious.  Let's say that California does go through with this and give every black resident a $1.2M payment.  What happens if in 5 years, 90% (or more), of those black folks file for bankruptcy?  Or, what happens if the crime rate among blacks drops... but in 5 years, is back to where it was, 'pre-reparations'?

7 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

blacks are drifting towards the GOP.  they are trying to blatantly buy their votes to arrest the trend.

For now. But they are currently being replaced.  

Can I identify as black? Honestly, what will it take to get access to some $$.  And, do I still have to complain about some spectral "whiteness" in the world magically holding me back, or does this absolved me of that excuse....? 

For this pandering are they going to require PROOF of descending from slaves?   What would count as valid proof of ancestry?

Interesting dilemma since many Democrats claim voter ID laws are racist due to black people being unable to get an ID.  

37 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So, I'm curious.  Let's say that California does go through with this and give every black resident a $1.2M payment.  What happens if in 5 years, 90% (or more), of those black folks file for bankruptcy?  Or, what happens if the crime rate among blacks drops... but in 5 years, is back to where it was, 'pre-reparations'?

In this scenario,, I think the government would have to cut us another check.

But, I don't think the plan is to just give us a 1.2M lump sum.  I think the idea is to distribute that over our life.  At least that's how I read it.

23 minutes ago, nobody said:

In this scenario,, I think the government would have to cut us another check.

But, I don't think the plan is to just give us a 1.2M lump sum.  I think the idea is to distribute that over our life.  At least that's how I read it.

I did assume that, which is why I said 5 years and not 2.... though, I do think my 90% was too cynical.  What I think will happen is that the bulk of the people who aren't doing that well financially, will spend future money that they don't yet have.  I think it'll get to the point where the money they're getting won't be enough to pay off what they owe, and likely be in worse financial shape than they are today.  That I can see happening fairly quickly, but like I said, it won't be the majority.  But, over then next few years, around year 5 or so is when you'll start seeing more and more of it.  In the end, I think it'll have a negative affect on the majority of black folks.  I think the crime rate will drop at first and the Democrats will say "See, we told you so.  Crime was up because these folks had no money".  But, in a few years, it'll be right back where it was, if not higher.  The new Democrat stance won't be, "Oops, we were wrong", it'll be the same as it always has been... "We were right, we just need to give them more money".

Why are the blacks jumping in front of native Americans? California actually did harm to them on a much greater scale.  No one made black people move to California.  

This sounds similar to the NBA

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

Can I identify as black? Honestly, what will it take to get access to some $$.  And, do I still have to complain about some spectral "whiteness" in the world magically holding me back, or does this absolved me of that excuse....? 

Gov. Newsom announces launch of statewide anti-hate website and hotline

....Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday announced the official launch of CA vs Hate, a new multilingual statewide website and hotline that allows for the safe, anonymous reporting of hate acts by victims and witnesses. ...."Here in California, we are sending an unequivocal message that hate will not be tolerated," said Governor Newsom. "We stand firm for a California for All and it is important that we hold perpetrators accountable for their actions and provide resources for those individuals victimized by hate crimes. Now, Californians have another tool to ensure that not only justice is served, but that individuals have access to additional resources to help deal with the lingering wounds that remain after such a horrendous crime occurs....." 

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/gov-newsom-announces-launch-of-statewide-anti-hate-website-and-hotline/

Vietnamese Americans worry Newsom’s coronavirus remark could spur anti-Asian backlash

....Leaders in Orange County’s Vietnamese American community said Friday they were “surprised and disappointed” with California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who a day earlier pointed to a nail salon as the first site of community spread of the coronavirus. It wasn’t so much what he said, but how he said it.

“This whole thing started in the state of California, the first community spread, in a nail salon,” Newsom said during his news briefing Thursday in answer to a question from a reporter....“I’m very worried about that.”

But the governor’s words also worry people involved in the predominantly Vietnamese American nail salon industry. Some said Friday, at a press conference in Garden Grove, that his tone could add fuel to a growing anti-Asian sentiment related to the coronavirus.....“The xenophobia is growing as much as the pandemic,” said Tammy Tran, an Orange County community leader....Tam Nguyen, president of Advance Beauty College in Garden Grove and Laguna Hills, said Newsom’s comments could lead to discrimination against the Vietnamese-run salons and prompt some customers to stay away once the shops, currently closed due to the pandemic, are allowed to reopen....

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/08/vietnamese-americans-worry-newsoms-coronavirus-remark-could-spur-anti-asian-backlash/

You are asking a very good question. I doubt Newsom would answer it. He would probably direct you to call the new "hotline" 

And mind you, he's made it clear that Asians will likely not be in that new "protected" class. When he was getting hammered in the national daily media cycle about his failures during the pandemic and was facing recall, his last desperate act was to blame Asian American small businesses for COVID19. Many of the same ones he locked down. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Why are the blacks jumping in front of native Americans? California actually did harm to them on a much greater scale.  No one made black people move to California.  

Better lobbyists and more political power. Liberals have no spine. They lack the ability to say 'no' to irrational demands from their left flank, so they just fold.

4 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Conservatives are so obsessed with this fantasy. As if it’s ever going to happen. 

Why do you think it won't happen? 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Because it would turn California red in a heartbeat. Among other things. 

Not if they believe it will buy votes. 

LOL. Will not happen at all. Just like the SF $5 million carrot they dangled. It's all to maintain votes.

California was a northern state during the Civil War. There were never slaves here. During the Jim Crow era blacks WERE treated as second class citizens but there was never the type of forced segregation they endured in the Deep South, and never the kind of forced housing inequities they endured in the big cities of the north. The worst aspect of racism that black people have had to face in this state both historically and in the present day has come from law enforcement, which led to two terrible riots in Los Angeles. 

If any groups deserve reparations in California, it would be the Chinese (who suffered lynchings and terrible mistreatment all throughout the 19th and early 20th century) and Japanese (who lost their homes, businesses, bank accounts and land when they were forcibly resettled in 1942.) 

9 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Not if they believe it will buy votes. 

Democrats don't have to buy black votes in California.

7 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Jesus...you cant flood the market with cash....inflation much.??

16 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

How many new votes would it buy? 

A trillion. 

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Democrats don't have to buy black votes in California.

Right - because they were purchased by Democrats previously.  Literally AND figuratively.

16 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Jesus...you cant flood the market with cash....inflation much.??

I know the payments are going to be spread out over time, as I said above, I think many people will basically buy things now that they can't afford because there'll be more money coming down the road... but, they'll be spending more than what they're going to get.

Basically what's happening is that Newsom is handing these people a winning lottery ticket that will be paid out via the annuity.  About 70% of all lottery winners end up bankrupt.  This would be no different.