makindollaz

UPDATE: Dalvin Cook Expected to Sign with the Jets

How high does Mattison’s ADP jump?

Right now he’s in the 80’s-90’s range in PPR.  Think he becomes a top 30 guy as a starter if Cook is traded or cut?

I took a gamble and traded Javonte Williams and the #12 pick in our rookie draft for Mattison and the #3 pick.  Perine owner wouldn’t budge on a trade for him at a reasonable cost, and didn’t want to take a chance on Williams being JK Dobbins 2022.

as of now I would assume Mattison would go somewhere in the first 4 rounds.  If Cooks goes do the Vikings bring in free agent RB?

2 minutes ago, Super Cubs said:

as of now I would assume Mattison would go somewhere in rounds first 4 rounds.  If Cooks goes do the Vikings bring in free agent RB?

Good question.  From what I’ve read online, I get the impression it’s somewhere around 75/25 that Cook does NOT return to Minnesota.  As for Mattison, I’d expect his ADP in 12 team PPR redraft to be…

1. If Cook leaves, and no vet signing happens, early 3rd round

2. If Cook leaves, and a vet (Zeke, Hunt, Fournette) is signed, it pushes AM to the 5th round range

3. If Cook stays, AM around the 8th round

I think they would bring in another rb.    

Vikings drafted Dewayne Mcbride late, but still a good prospect. Probably bring in another body, but Mattison/McBride could be their main rotation.

2 hours ago, makindollaz said:

Good question.  From what I’ve read online, I get the impression it’s somewhere around 75/25 that Cook does NOT return to Minnesota.  As for Mattison, I’d expect his ADP in 12 team PPR redraft to be…

1. If Cook leaves, and no vet signing happens, early 3rd round

2. If Cook leaves, and a vet (Zeke, Hunt, Fournette) is signed, it pushes AM to the 5th round range

3. If Cook stays, AM around the 8th round

I think it depends on situation.

assuming no major signing, if Cook leaves Matison is likely an RB1 and you should acquire him in all formats.

if Cook stays, hes likely what he was last year.

if Cook goes and there is a signing I guess it would depend on who and what roles are outlined.

I could see Minny signing a good vet to backup Mattison or to be a 1A.   but if dropping Cook to give the starting job to Zeke, hunt or Fournette then I'd ask why are you dropping Cook?    

I'd have to look at the cap numbers its a dead cap hit of roughly 8 mill to drop cook who has a cap number of 14M.       so if paying a new RB in the range of 6 mil (which isnt unreasonable) I dont see a situation where they make themselves better (not this year anyhow)

unless they can get a decent RB to sign for less than 3 mil, the process of going through this makes no sense to save peanuts.

unless there are off field issues  with Cook or they feel an injury is career threatening the smart move is to wait til next year if they can.   personally I think Mattison is good enough.   but I have said this before.... teams dont always do the right thing

Pretty easy stuff, no Cook, no new pickup, 14 team half or full ppr, Mattison is a 2nd rd pick. Cook stays , Mattison is a late rd pick. 

I think if they let Cook go, Hunt would be a very good addition.  

Seems odd to me that Zeke, Fournette & Hunt haven’t been signed yet.  Have a feeling after the Cook domino drops, it’ll impact the others.  Cook is the best available left that could or will be on a new team next year.

1 hour ago, makindollaz said:

Seems odd to me that Zeke, Fournette & Hunt haven’t been signed yet.  Have a feeling after the Cook domino drops, it’ll impact the others.  Cook is the best available left that could or will be on a new team next year.

Where does everyone think Cook would end up if he is let go? 

9 minutes ago, Fumbleweed said:

If he has anything left, I could see K.C. or Bengals.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

Pretty easy stuff, no Cook, no new pickup, 14 team half or full ppr, Mattison is a 2nd rd pick. Cook stays , Mattison is a late rd pick. 

I think if they let Cook go, Hunt would be a very good addition.  

I agree. Hunt is young enough that he may be an option.

Thing is... Hunt likely wants a starting gig.   so unless hes promised that I dont see him starting here.   

though a 1 year prove it deal may be appropriate in this case.  if he wins the starting job he stays, if he cannot beat out Mattison, he moves on after a year.   but I could see a few other more RB needy teams paying better cash than what Minny would be willing to cough up.   Hunt is young enough that the signing team will be more likely to pay a premium to get him.

Remember that MN can’t spend a lot on a RB if they move on from Cook.  The primary reason they’re considering it is cost savings/cap related.

They re-signed Mattison to a 2 year deal that’s an increase for him, but still relatively reasonable for a starter.

6 minutes ago, makindollaz said:

Remember that MN can’t spend a lot on a RB if they move on from Cook.  The primary reason they’re considering it is cost savings/cap related.

They re-signed Mattison to a 2 year deal that’s an increase for him, but still relatively reasonable for a starter.

If Cook were smart, he'd take a pay cut and stay. He won't find big money on the open market. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrokh said:

Vikings drafted Dewayne Mcbride late, but still a good prospect. Probably bring in another body, but Mattison/McBride could be their main rotation.

They also have Ty Chandler too

Ravens.  

8 hours ago, makindollaz said:

yeah that was kind of what I was getting at.  most of the top FA/s wont be cheap.  so most of the cost savings would be eaten up.    might be easier to rework Cooks contract

7 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

If Cook were smart, he'd take a pay cut and stay. He won't find big money on the open market. 

100%.   but most of these guys have an ego too large for their own good.   he probably wont see this as a viable option.    His agent might, but he likely wont.

well, I can see them signing a Latavius Murray, Mark Ingram, or Myles Gaskin  type player to backup Mattison.  

That type of move would make some sense.     These guys are good enough to carry the mail(and have in the past).   If Mattison gets hurt or is ineffective, but not elite the offense wont crumble.

and the price on players of this calibre would be reasonable.    

Given the quality of RB available this year in free agency, anyone in need at the position should be totally happy.   its a good market to be buying in.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:47 PM, wolves111 said:

Why?  Bengals maybe… Chiefs?  How does that fit? 

I agree that D Cook could be a good fit.  He’s more talented than any current KC rb.   

On 5/17/2023 at 2:36 PM, Fumbleweed said:

On 5/17/2023 at 2:47 PM, wolves111 said:

I could see Miami, Chicago, and LA as options as well.

48 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I could see Miami, Chicago, and LA as options as well.

I could see him being a nice fit in Miami, but they have a ton of RB already.  theyd have to move a RB. 

LA could also be a nice fit.

I could see Chicago wanting him but I dont know that he would want to go to Chicago.   

I cant see KC.  Cook would want to be a starter and KC has a starter.   Bengals?   I guess it depends what happens with Mixon and how they get rid of him.  if they can trade him thats one thing.  if they end up buying him out to bring in Cook that makes it tricky.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

I could see him being a nice fit in Miami, but they have a ton of RB already.  theyd have to move a RB. 

LA could also be a nice fit.

I could see Chicago wanting him but I dont know that he would want to go to Chicago.   

I cant see KC.  Cook would want to be a starter and KC has a starter.   Bengals?   I guess it depends what happens with Mixon and how they get rid of him.  if they can trade him thats one thing.  if they end up buying him out to bring in Cook that makes it tricky.

I agree with you on Miami, but Cook is a way better and safer option than everyone they have.  Gaskin is at best, a complimentary piece.  Mostert is a better version of Gaskin.  Wilson is always hurt.  So, trade the guy who'll get the most... my guess is Mostert and use Gaskin as your spell piece and Wilson when needed.

The Bengals and Vikings should do a post 6/1 trade and trade them straight up for each other.

isnt gaskin a free agent?   not sure hes in the equasion in miami unless they re signed him.  but miami had arguably too many RB's last year.  I do agree hes better than anyone they already have there.    but I'm sure Miami is taking their time.  there are a lot of top RB on the free agent market and not a lot of apparent buyers at the moment.....   Cook may not even be their favourite guy (though he probably should be)

Ravens.  

4 hours ago, weepaws said:

Ravens.  

they also likely need a RB but for whatever reason they seem to love drafting and developing their own guy.

I agree hed be a nice fit but I'd honestly be surprised if he ended up there.

They're saying Miami or Denver as potential landing spots.

I guess we can expect all the best athletes to avoid the RB position in coming years since no one wants to pay them.

Party in the city where the heat is on
All night, on the beach till the break of dawn
"Welcome to Miami"
"Bienvenidos a Miami"
Bouncin' in the club where the heat is on
All night, on the beach till the break of dawn
I'm goin' to Miami
"Welcome to Miami"

53 minutes ago, RareN64Dream said:

If Vikings were smart, they would bring back Adrian Peterson for 1 year. But they want to see what the younger players can do too.

Bringing in Adrian Peterson as their RB would indicate they are smart? How does that compute?

On 6/10/2023 at 4:54 AM, seafoam1 said:

Bringing in Adrian Peterson as their RB would indicate they are smart? How does that compute?

hes only 37.    Whats wrong with signing a 37 year old player?   hes not THAT old......

well, maybe he is, but I'm sure that would work out fine.    What could possibly go wrong?:bench:

Any 37 y.o. who can stuff sticks and leaves in their child's mouth deserves a chance.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:55 AM, nobody said:

I guess we can expect all the best athletes to avoid the RB position in coming years since no one wants to pay them.

Might be some truth to that.  Limited playing years, limited money... skill positions in high school and college know that.

14 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Might be some truth to that.  Limited playing years, limited money... skill positions in high school and college know that.

I think at some point things will shift back.

right now everyone wants to throw the ball, and at 40m per year for a starting QB and 20+M for a top starting WR staying with this model will get tired fast.

I could see some teams switching back to the old model of building a tough D and having a top notch run game with a game manager at QB.   as that will likely be a whole lot cheaper cap wise.

I think a good late pickup could be K Osborn.  

It's a bad year to be an old out-of-work RB.  The NFL drafted one of the deepest RB classes in recent history and there's a lot of free agent RBs on the market.

My guess is Hunt signs first for cheap money. Then Zeke. I think Fornette is finished in the NFL. Who knows if Cook will ever sign.

Lots of chat about the Jets possibility picking up D Cook, sounds like there is some uncertainty about Hall.  

12 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

I think Fornette is finished in the NFL.

This may actually be a fair bet.   he played with a lis franc injury last year and it showed.  no burst whatsoever in the second half.

these injuries tend to be career enders if surgery is done (more often than not)  but if rehab without surgery, it is possible to bounce back, but the injury is the type where the recovery can be very slow.   a smart team would be very scared of that injury but I'm sure some teams will do their homework and do a very thorough medical exam of that injury to make sure.

I dont recall hearing about a surgery, so there is the chance he can come back and be productive.   but there is also the chance the injury lingers and if that happens, hes a backup at best. 

I have not heard much.   but maybe TBay may be able to chime in.   the guy was a Buc so chances are good that TBay knows what the deal is with the injury.