Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Old school food

Stuff from back when you were a kid. Probably stuff you'd like to stumble across today.

I have so many. But right now, I'm thinking back to those boiling bags that they did. You could get a boil in bag of chipped beef and gravy and just put it over a piece of toast and it was freaking delicious as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly? I think part of the reason people blame so much about the horrific price of groceries? Is because they're standards one way up. Damn sure ain't nobody in a pirate Swanson's TV dinner. Now it's Amy's all natural free range blah blah blah with black beans and three cans of cheese and chicken blah blah blah fresh salsa verde. Etc

There's just no way in my mind that objectively you can look at our diets when it was the '70s versus now and come up with the solid comparison. Our education is getting better, our standards have gotten higher, and guess what? Food gets more expensive.

Anyway kids. I've seen what chefs throughout my area do. They all aspire to be Gordon ramsay. But you know the people who most often shuck Gordon ramsay? Or the ones who keep it simple. Just old school recipes and old school cooking..

I agree on keeping things simple, but I am all for quality ingredients.

I grew up eating sh1t, I was poor.  Banquet frozen dinners, hamburger helper, canned vegetables, no fruit, hostess and tastycake.  I liked it all, but eating any of that now, gross.

I loved Campbell cream of potato soup as a kid and haven’t had it since. I also loved ramen noodles and I still do. I don’t care it’s it’s poor people food. I’ll never get tired of frozen pizza either. 

47 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I loved Campbell cream of potato soup as a kid and haven’t had it since. I also loved ramen noodles and I still do. I don’t care it’s it’s poor people food. I’ll never get tired of frozen pizza either. 

I used to eat that sh1t cold out of the can.  Also the chunky soup was the gourmet sh1t.  Now I make my own soup.

38 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I used to eat that sh1t cold out of the can.  Also the chunky soup was the gourmet sh1t.  Now I make my own soup.

I did the same thing. Lol

As a kid, I liked those stouffers meals as well.

Boboli pizza crusts

mom was not a great cook, but made a good chicken parm. 

I played with food a bit…. Liked seeing what flavors worked together

1 hour ago, thegeneral said:

There was a restaurant that served Roast Beef Manahattan where I grew up.

Looks disgusting but was so good. Have never seen it on another menu for some reason.

GD I would eat that. Kind of looks like a hot brown sandwich 

3 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

GD I would eat that. Kind of looks like a hot brown sandwich 

It seriously was so focking good. Could have it with mashed potatoes or french fries. 

If a hot brown is also known as open face sandwich is pretty much the same thing I think. I read that wikipage after linking it and it nails it, I lived in Indiana and apparently it’s one of our delicacies 😂

A little off topic but not. I remember when I was like 11 or 12 and going to Chinese takeout and getting pint of pork fried rice with friends- felt like a grown up buying my own food. We would sit on the curb and eat our food out of the square container dousing the rice in duck sauce. Vivid memory 

• Like 2