Sign in to follow this  
AxeElf

Axe Elf's 2023 Campaign

I wish I could do some mock auction drafts, but I don't really feel like pouring 2-3 hours into a team that disappears as soon as I draft it, so I popped the 2023 cherry on a typical 10-team snake mock (Yahoo Half-PPR).

I chose the #3 slot, hoping I could still get Bijan at #3 and have some shot at still getting a top talent in the 2nd round, like Derrick Henry, but when Bijan went #2 and Henry fell one slot before my 2.08 pick, the team turned out a whole lot different than I had imagined it would going in--but I still kind of like it.

Although Jefferson is carrying the higher ADP, and I could have drafted him at #3, I lean slightly toward Chase this year.  Jefferson has a late Week 13 bye this year, and I'd hate to be certain to be deprived of my first-round pick in a critical late-season game.  Besides, even though Jefferson has a couple of favorable defensive matchups in Weeks 16 & 17 (Detroit & Green Bay), Jefferson got kind of shut down during the last couple weeks of the season last year (loved Jefferson's 1 for 15 outing in last year's Championship Game), and I don't want THAT happening again, either.  Chase, on the other hand, will be at Kansas City for this year's fantasy championship week, and Chase has historically done well against KC.

After I missed Henry in the 2nd, I considered reaching around the turn for Najee Harris, but I went ahead and scooped Mahomes at that point, and still got Harris around the turn at 3.03.

I played it pretty straight, drafting the full complement of K and DST and backup QB/TE positions, none of which I would have drafted if this were a real league, but at this point I was basically just learning who was still available in the later rounds.  I like the Washington D for all the high draft picks on their D-line, but also for the late bye--just hold onto them until some other decent defense has their bye, then swap them out for the rest of the season.  (They also get Denver, Arizona and Chicago in the first five weeks.)

QB:  Patrick Mahomes (10) 2.08, Daniel Jones (13) 10.08

RB:  Najee Harris (6) 3.03, J.K. Dobbins (13) 4.08, Isiah Pacheco (10) 6.08, Khalil Herbert (13) 9.03

WR:  Ja'Marr Chase (7) 1.03, Deebo Samuel (9) 5.03, Mike Williams (5) 7.03, Diontae Johnson (6) 8.08, Kadarius Toney (10) 11.03

TE:  Cole Kmet (13) 12.08, Dalton Schultz (7) 13.03

K:  Younghoe Koo (11) 14.08

DST:  Washington Commanders (14) 15.03

Ten teams or less should always look good on paper, and even more so in a free league.   

1 hour ago, Sean Mooney said:

RB is not good.

Harris was the RB4 from Week 11 on last season, once they settled in with Pickett at QB.

Dobbins should be fully healed now--and he still sports a career average of 5.9 yards per carry.

One could argue that McKinnon (who had more receiving TDs in 2022 than Justin Jefferson) would have been a better choice than Pacheco; I will probably end up with several shares of both, unless one emerges in preseason.

Herbert could be the primary RB for a team that led the NFL in rushing last season, depending on how things shake out with Foreman (in whom I don't have much faith), so the status of that pick could change before the season starts, but it's not a bad pick for a RB4 in late May.

TE is spotty. 

Yeah, outside of Kelce, all TEs are spotty; I drafted a couple of the top 10.

For a 10 teamer, your RBs are Rancid. They are a walking time bomb…

57 minutes ago, jrokh said:

For a 10 teamer, your RBs are Rancid. They are a walking time bomb…

You goof; "rancid" doesn't mean "packed with potential"; I looked it up. 

6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

I wish I could do some mock auction drafts, but I don't really feel like pouring 2-3 hours into a team that disappears as soon as I draft it, so I popped the 2023 cherry on a typical 10-team snake mock (Yahoo Half-PPR).

I chose the #3 slot, hoping I could still get Bijan at #3 and have some shot at still getting a top talent in the 2nd round, like Derrick Henry, but when Bijan went #2 and Henry fell one slot before my 2.08 pick, the team turned out a whole lot different than I had imagined it would going in--but I still kind of like it.

Although Jefferson is carrying the higher ADP, and I could have drafted him at #3, I lean slightly toward Chase this year.  Jefferson has a late Week 13 bye this year, and I'd hate to be certain to be deprived of my first-round pick in a critical late-season game.  Besides, even though Jefferson has a couple of favorable defensive matchups in Weeks 16 & 17 (Detroit & Green Bay), Jefferson got kind of shut down during the last couple weeks of the season last year (loved Jefferson's 1 for 15 outing in last year's Championship Game), and I don't want THAT happening again, either.  Chase, on the other hand, will be at Kansas City for this year's fantasy championship week, and Chase has historically done well against KC.

After I missed Henry in the 2nd, I considered reaching around the turn for Najee Harris, but I went ahead and scooped Mahomes at that point, and still got Harris around the turn at 3.03.

I played it pretty straight, drafting the full complement of K and DST and backup QB/TE positions, none of which I would have drafted if this were a real league, but at this point I was basically just learning who was still available in the later rounds.  I like the Washington D for all the high draft picks on their D-line, but also for the late bye--just hold onto them until some other decent defense has their bye, then swap them out for the rest of the season.  (They also get Denver, Arizona and Chicago in the first five weeks.)

RB:  Najee Harris (6) 3.03, J.K. Dobbins (13) 4.08, Isiah Pacheco (10) 6.08, Khalil Herbert (13) 9.03

WR:  Ja'Marr Chase (7) 1.03, Deebo Samuel (9) 5.03, Mike Williams (5) 7.03, Diontae Johnson (6) 8.08, Kadarius Toney (10) 11.03

thanks for posting.   nice roster.

only criticism is in grabbing 2 guys from the same pittsburgh offense and two from the chicago offense.   I do agree at least one of the Pittsburgh guys is likely to have a bounceback campain but the offense hasnt been great thus far in the post Rothlisberger era.

to that end I'd say maybe too much risk on one chicago team and one Pittsburgh team  but thats also nitpicking a bit.

I do expect a bounceback year for Naj or Diontae, but to bet on both having  big bouncebacks is likely pushing it.

That said, the price you got them for is indeed reasonable.   but I'm maybe more averse to the risk of stacking players on the same team (unless that team is a top team like KC for example)

either way its good info to have and I thank you for posting it.

56 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

only criticism is in grabbing 2 guys from the same pittsburgh offense and two from the chicago offense.

Fair, although if things went as planned (if this were a real team/league), I'd only be starting Harris and Kmet, with Herbert and Johnson as depth.

I will say that the abundance of late-season byes this year is going to be a minefield of which one cannot be too aware.  Too many players from the wrong teams and you'll basically be taking at least one L in your late-season playoff run.

The second rd pick was the mistake, in a ten team league you’re looking  at having about 13 or so qbs available to stream most weekends.  

And for the foolish ones who need to draft a Qb in the single digit rounds, one can wait until at least the 5th round.  

That 2nd is to available for a Qb, should have been 1.rb or 2 a wr.  

And why does anyone need two TEs?   It’s a ten team league gosh darn it draft like it is.   

HTH.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

The second rd pick was the mistake, in a ten team league you’re looking  at having about 13 or so qbs available to stream most weekends.  

And for the foolish ones who need to draft a Qb in the single digit rounds, one can wait until at least the 5th round.  

That 2nd is to available for a Qb, should have been 1.rb or 2 a wr.  

And why does anyone need two TEs?   It’s a ten team league gosh darn it draft like it is.   

HTH.  Thanks. 

mistake or not, if drafting a QB like Mahomes, thats when you need to pull the trigger.

I would argue he went later than I would have expected.

its not an outrageous pick at that point in the draft.   its just one that you wouldnt have made..... and you have made your opinion clear over the past years about drafting a QB early (you just dont do it)

and that IS your right.   but its also his right to take him if he wants.    I see nothing grossly wrong with the pick.   It may not have been one I would have made but I dont find fault with it.   I probably would have waited at least a round or two and targeted someone like Herbert or waited until late and grabbed someone I felt had some upside (or Kirk Cousins who always seems to be around late in this type of format)

all i have to say is if drafting a QB that early, you better nail the pick.   if you don't, its trouble for you.

Mahomes has been money since his first year as a starter.   Even last year after losing his elite #1 WR he still lit it up.

so if picking a QB early hes probably one guy to target. (which he did)

you dont have to agree with the philosophy of drafting a QB early but in terms of where I'd expect his ADP to be I think he did ok.

To that end, the only real risk I see here is injury.   And hes been a healthy player since entering the league as well.

Historically, Axe Elf has been one to content himself with cheap fantasy QBs, but when your home town team for the past 60 years now has the best QB anyone has ever seen--in real life AND in fantasy--you buy the ticket and you ride the ride.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

mistake or not, if drafting a QB like Mahomes, thats when you need to pull the trigger.

I would argue he went later than I would have expected.

its not an outrageous pick at that point in the draft.   its just one that you wouldnt have made..... and you have made your opinion clear over the past years about drafting a QB early (you just dont do it)

and that IS your right.   but its also his right to take him if he wants.    I see nothing grossly wrong with the pick.   It may not have been one I would have made but I dont find fault with it.   I probably would have waited at least a round or two and targeted someone like Herbert or waited until late and grabbed someone I felt had some upside (or Kirk Cousins who always seems to be around late in this type of format)

all i have to say is if drafting a QB that early, you better nail the pick.   if you don't, its trouble for you.

Mahomes has been money since his first year as a starter.   Even last year after losing his elite #1 WR he still lit it up.

so if picking a QB early hes probably one guy to target. (which he did)

you dont have to agree with the philosophy of drafting a QB early but in terms of where I'd expect his ADP to be I think he did ok.

To that end, the only real risk I see here is injury.   And hes been a healthy player since entering the league as well.

So basically we agree, the OP could have waited a few rounds later and still draft a top Qb. And that would have helped the OP Rbs or even the OP WRs.  

15 hours ago, AxeElf said:

My New Years resolution was to not be so critical of your posts…so I’ll wait for your dissertation on practice draft #2 tomorrow before I comment!

“After I missed Henry in the 2nd, I considered reaching around the turn for Najee Harris, but I went ahead and scooped Mahomes at that point, and still got Harrisaround the turn at 3.03.“

Id also like to add that I too like a good “reach around”

Harris was the RB4 from Week 11 on last season, once they settled in with Pickett at QB.

Dobbins should be fully healed now--and he still sports a career average of 5.9 yards per carry.

One could argue that McKinnon (who had more receiving TDs in 2022 than Justin Jefferson) would have been a better choice than Pacheco; I will probably end up with several shares of both, unless one emerges in preseason.

Herbert could be the primary RB for a team that led the NFL in rushing last season, depending on how things shake out with Foreman (in whom I don't have much faith), so the status of that pick could change before the season starts, but it's not a bad pick for a RB4 in late May.

Yeah, outside of Kelce, all TEs are spotty; I drafted a couple of the top 10.

Lucky for you it was a fake draft so it doesn't count. 

7 hours ago, JagFan said:

I’ll wait for your dissertation on practice draft #2 tomorrow before I comment!

You sure used up a lot of space in my thread not commenting.

20 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

You sure used up a lot of space in my thread not commenting.

I could argue that you used up a lot of space in your thread just to say your draft didn’t go well, so I’m calling it even.

2 minutes ago, JagFan said:

I could argue that you used up a lot of space in your thread just to say your draft didn’t go well, so I’m calling it even.

You could, but as an obvious attempt at hand-waving with no basis in reality, it would end up just being another waste of space.

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

So basically we agree, the OP could have waited a few rounds later and still draft a top Qb. And that would have helped the OP Rbs or even the OP WRs.  

Oh goodie- another year of this bad argument.

Mahomes in the 2nd is not like taking Kenny Pickett, or Daniel Jones, or even someone like Trevor Lawrence.

Mahomes is a consistent performer week in and week out and you will get less fluctuation with him then with like 90% of the other quarterbacks in the league. 

Oh goodie- another year of this bad argument.

Mahomes in the 2nd is not like taking Kenny Pickett, or Daniel Jones, or even someone like Trevor Lawrence.

Mahomes is a consistent performer week in and week out and you will get less fluctuation with him then with like 90% of the other quarterbacks in the league. 

I agree. My point isn’t that, my point is the OP in a ten team league could have upgraded its Rbs or WRs by taking one of them in the second round instead of a Qb.  The OP could have drafted one of those high profile qbs two three rounds later , you even said that the OP is weak at rb, so taking a rb in the second and then Harris in the third, and a top flight Qb two three rounds later would have helped.  So for the foolish ones that like taking a Qb in single digit rounds, one doesn’t need to take one I say earlier than the 5th round. 

HTH.  

Thanks. 

It's also not like I had a ton of viable options at that point that would help my team more than Mahomes.

Round 2
(1) Manuel - Josh Jacobs (LV - RB)
(2) jonathan k - Nick Chubb (Cle - RB)
(3) Goat - Stefon Diggs (Buf - WR)
(4) Michael - CeeDee Lamb (Dal - WR)
(5) Jim - Derrick Henry (Ten - RB)
(6) Ddboy - Breece Hall (NYJ - RB)
(7) Sleppysmalls - Davante Adams (LV - WR)
(8) Axe Elf - Patrick Mahomes (KC - QB)
(9) vicc - Travis Etienne Jr. (Jax - RB)
(10) Chris - A.J. Brown (Phi - WR)

Round 3
(1) Chris - Amon-Ra St. Brown (Det - WR)
(2) vicc - Mark Andrews (Bal - TE)
(3) Axe Elf - Najee Harris (Pit - RB)
(4) Sleppysmalls - Tony Pollard (Dal - RB)
(5) Ddboy - Garrett Wilson (NYJ - WR)
(6) Jim - Rhamondre Stevenson (NE - RB)
(7) Michael - Kenneth Walker III (Sea - RB)
(8) Goat - Jaylen Waddle (Mia - WR)
(9) jonathan k - DeVonta Smith (Phi - WR)
(10) Manuel - Chris Olave (NO - WR)

Round 4
(1) Manuel - Tee Higgins (Cin - WR)
(2) jonathan k - Jalen Hurts (Phi - QB)
(3) Goat - Josh Allen (Buf - QB)
(4) Michael - Calvin Ridley (Jax - WR)
(5) Jim - Joe Burrow (Cin - QB)
(6) Ddboy - DK Metcalf (Sea - WR)
(7) Sleppysmalls - Lamar Jackson (Bal - QB)
(8) Axe Elf - J.K. Dobbins (Bal - RB)
(9) vicc - T.J. Hockenson (Min - TE)
(10) Chris - George Kittle (SF - TE)

Round 5
(1) Chris - Justin Fields (Chi - QB)
(2) vicc - Amari Cooper (Cle - WR)
(3) Axe Elf - Deebo Samuel (SF - WR)
(4) Sleppysmalls - Dalvin Cook (Min - RB)
(5) Ddboy - Jahmyr Gibbs (Det - RB)
(6) Jim - DJ Moore (Chi - WR)
(7) Michael - Keenan Allen (LAC - WR)
(8) Goat - Miles Sanders (Car - RB)
(9) jonathan k - DeAndre Hopkins (Ari - WR)
(10) Manuel - Aaron Jones (GB - RB)

So if I don't take Mahomes in the 2nd, I probably take Najee there, and then if Mahomes is still there in the third, I definitely take him then--and nothing changes.  If Mahomes isn't there and I'm forced to choose a WR from Wilson/Waddle/Smith/Olave/Ridley/Metcalf (I wouldn't take Higgins after drafting Chase), am I really any better off with one of them as my WR2 instead of Deebo--especially if part of that trade-off is that I don't get Mahomes?

I don't really see any way I could have upgraded at RB by not taking Mahomes; I don't like any of the other four available RBs in that stretch (Etienne, Pollard, Stevenson, Walker) more than I like Najee and Dobbins--as all four of their teams drafted or brought in serious competition for their positions.

Maybe the best argument for a WR upgrade could be made for taking AJ Brown in the second instead of Mahomes, but then I still have Najee and Dobbins at RB, and I still don't have Mahomes, so I have to hope that whatever Brown gains me over Deebo at WR is more than Mahomes would have gained me over whatever QB I end up with later--and given the notorious inconsistency at WR, that's likely to be a push at best.

Nah, with the Chiefs being my local team, and the draft circumstance being what they were, I couldn't have made a better choice.

Plenty of upgrades in the second round at rb and wr.  Could have drafted Allen who was the number one Qb by avg last season or Hurts who’s avg matched Mahomes, yea that second round pick is just to valuable for a Qb.  But we all know that the double digit rounds is the best time take a Qb.   

Plus who needs to roster two TEs? 

12 hours ago, weepaws said:

he could have.    But there is an opportunity cost to waiting.  sometimes you dont get the player you want if there is a run on the position.

There is always risk associated with not picking a player and hoping to slide a round or two.

Just like if you dont pick a WR in round 1 the guys you were looking at taking will rarely be there in round 2 when the draft comes back to you (unless you draft at or near the end of round 1)

all I am saying is it wasnt an overpay.   Thats when Mahomes goes in most drafts.   In fact, my expectation would be he would be one of the last picks in round one or one of the first picks in round 2, so from that perspective he got fair value in taking him as the 8th pick in the 2nd round.   I cannot argue he made a bad selection.         

40 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

It's also not like I had a ton of viable options at that point that would help my team more than Mahomes.

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

So if I don't take Mahomes in the 2nd, I probably take Najee there, and then if Mahomes is still there in the third, I definitely take him then--and nothing changes.  If Mahomes isn't there and I'm forced to choose a WR from Wilson/Waddle/Smith/Olave/Ridley/Metcalf (I wouldn't take Higgins after drafting Chase), am I really any better off with one of them as my WR2 instead of Deebo--especially if part of that trade-off is that I don't get Mahomes?

I don't really see any way I could have upgraded at RB by not taking Mahomes; I don't like any of the other four available RBs in that stretch (Etienne, Pollard, Stevenson, Walker) more than I like Najee and Dobbins--as all four of their teams drafted or brought in serious competition for their positions.

Maybe the best argument for a WR upgrade could be made for taking AJ Brown in the second instead of Mahomes, but then I still have Najee and Dobbins at RB, and I still don't have Mahomes, so I have to hope that whatever Brown gains me over Deebo at WR is more than Mahomes would have gained me over whatever QB I end up with later--and given the notorious inconsistency at WR, that's likely to be a push at best.

Nah, with the Chiefs being my local team, and the draft circumstance being what they were, I couldn't have made a better choice.

Can you show round one? 

44 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Damn, could have had Etienne and grabbed Herbert at QB late

Could have, but the idea is to have a BETTER team than everyone else, and if you tell me you'd rather have Etienne than Harris (especially in half-PPR) or Herbert than Mahomes, then some remedial education is indicated.

39 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

Can you show round one? 

Round 1
(1) Chris - Christian McCaffrey (SF - RB)
(2) vicc - Bijan Robinson (Atl - RB)
(3) Axe Elf - Ja'Marr Chase (Cin - WR)
(4) Sleppysmalls - Justin Jefferson (Min - WR)
(5) Ddboy - Tyreek Hill (Mia - WR)
(6) Jim - Jonathan Taylor (Ind - RB)
(7) Michael - Austin Ekeler (LAC - RB)
(8) Goat - Saquon Barkley (NYG - RB)
(9) jonathan k - Travis Kelce (KC - TE)
(10) Manuel - Cooper Kupp (LAR - WR)

well, if what I have seen of this draft so far is true, Herbert is looking like a really nice late round QB.

thats who I would have targeted but let me be clear, thats my own preference.   I fully respect Axe's pick of Mahomes.    and as mentioned earlier, I think he got him a bit later than I'd normally expect a guy like him to go.

this isnt really an argument of quality of draft, its more an argument of draft philosophy (in my opinion).    We have Axe who believes its ok to take a QB early and we have Weepaws who believes you shouldnt take a QB in the first 7 or 8 rounds.

both tactics have some validity and you can win with both if you draft well.

so from that perspective whether this strategy is good for you is personal.  you may like one or both or neither of these strategies.   And thats ok.

in the end we are all trying to draft the player that gives us the best chance to win and over the years Mahomes has shown he can be that guy.    so it makes sense that people would draft him sooner than others.  I'd argue his floor is higher than the ceiling of many starters in the NFL.

my desire to pass on that to wait on a guy like Herbert is a personal one.    and if Herbert was out for the year I might not go this strategy.  I may be more inclined to follow in Axes footsteps and grab Mahomes if hes around in the second half of round 2.   But that does not appear to be where I am at right now.

but its still early in pre season and my current opinions are subject to change as more info comes available.

2 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Could have, but the idea is to have a BETTER team than everyone else, and if you tell me you'd rather have Etienne than Harris (especially in half-PPR) or Herbert than Mahomes, then some remedial education is indicated.

Etienne and Harris both. Herbert later, looks like he wasn’t drafted by the 5th. 

Etienne, Harris, Herbert > Mahomes and Harris

54 minutes ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

Etienne, Harris, Herbert > Mahomes and Harris

Well sure, when you compare three players to two.  lol

If I had gone RB/RB at the turn, I would have picked Harris in the 2nd, because I'd rather have him than Etienne, which means I wouldn't have been able to draft Etienne in the 3rd, as he was gone before my Round 3 pick.

But even IF I would have gone RB/RB at the turn and even IF I would have foolishly selected Etienne first, then the difference would be (Harris/Etienne with Herbert) versus (Harris/Dobbins with Mahomes).

And thus even THAT is not an upgrade.

As usual, Axe Elf made the best choice possible under the circumstances.

The mistake was taking a Qb n the second round, the OP could have drafted a high profile ff Qb two to three rounds later, and should have drafted a rb imo in the second.  

Still don’t understand why the OP felt the need to draft two qbs, when you only use one, and two TEs.  

I think everyone learn f on the mistakes made by this OP.  

Good day.  

6 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Round 5

This is where you and I went back and forth quite a bit last year but I think the opportunity cost of taking Mahomes is pretty great there in the 2nd and worth the risk. 

I really like Mike Williams this year, his ADP is fantastic if he can stay healthy. I also like the late flyer on Herbert and Schultz. Solid draft.

Ten team league should be better than solid.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, weepaws said:

Just an observation....I've never seen you ever post any of the teams you drafted here. 

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

Well, he took the #1 QB in both FF and the real thing. Four starting rb's, four #1 wr's on their respective teams, 2 very good t/e's, a great kicker who plays half his games or more in a dome.

As for defense its' a streaming position as you have mentioned. 

Seems better than solid to me.

39 minutes ago, wolves111 said:

Well, he took the #1 QB in both FF and the real thing. Four starting rb's, four #1 wr's on their respective teams, 2 very good t/e's, a great kicker who plays half his games or more in a dome.

As for defense its' a streaming position as you have mentioned. 

Seems better than solid to me.

It’s only a ten team league it should be.   I thought he took Mahomes at Qb, Allen was the number one ff Qb, He avg one point more per game.  So he took the number two ff Qb.  

3 hours ago, Sean Mooney said:

Just an observation....I've never seen you ever post any of the teams you drafted here. 

I’ve posted players I’ve drafted, I just don’t do weekly updates, I save that for the ff fools like Sean and the elf.   I also don’t feel the need for me to post any mock draft results. I don’t need those look at me moments. 

Thanks.  

either way, love him or hate him I do respect that Axe Elf has put himself out there for everyone to criticize because thats mostly what you get.      but I find these kinds of posts are actually more helpful as you see how a draft actually unfolded in real life.   you are not looking at mocks.

so even if you dont like the team he picked you can look at the order and see how teams were picked.   I see one guy on there whose draft looks very much like I'd expect a draft to go for one friend of mine in one of my leagues so this is going to be helpful for me already even if I get nothing more from this draft and I've barely done any analysis.

29 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

either way, love him or hate him I do respect that Axe Elf has put himself out there for everyone to criticize because thats mostly what you get.      but I find these kinds of posts are actually more helpful as you see how a draft actually unfolded in real life.   you are not looking at mocks.

so even if you dont like the team he picked you can look at the order and see how teams were picked.   I see one guy on there whose draft looks very much like I'd expect a draft to go for one friend of mine in one of my leagues so this is going to be helpful for me already even if I get nothing more from this draft and I've barely done any analysis.

I agree, it’s great.