Sign in to follow this  
Washington Commanders trademark denied...

https://wtop.com/washington-commanders/2023/05/us-patent-office-denies-washington-commanders-trademark-team-remains-confident/

The Washington Commanders are expected to soon be under new ownership, but the NFL team is now facing a new challenge over its name.

The franchise’s request to trademark the name “Washington Commanders” has been denied by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

The May 18 decision was made due to what the USPTO called “likelihood of confusion” between the team and the Commanders Classic college football game between the Air Force and Army.

In addition, D.C.-area resident Martin McCaulay already submitted trademark applications for the names “Washington Space Commanders” and “Washington Wolves Commanders,” in hopes of guessing the NFL team’s name.

McCaulay previously told The Washington Post that he planned to work with the franchise and will turn over any trademarks at no cost.

Meanwhile, trademark attorney Josh Gerbin tweeted that he’s confident confusion with the college football game and matters tied to McCaulay will be cleared up.

In response to the USPTO’s denial, a team spokesman told sports outlet ProFootballTalk: “The trademark office’s recent nonfinal (sic) office action is an ordinary course step in the standard trademark registration process.” He added that the Commanders are confident the trademark registration will be issued.

----------------------------------

They should just go back to the Redskins...  Makes too much sense...

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Washington Woke

Might as well. It’s all anyone ever talks about now. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Redskins has a nice ring

I know right ????

I'll go to my grave saying/typing "Washington Redskins" and "Cleveland Indians."

The names will eventually die out, I just don't intend to help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Redskins has a nice ring

Its tradition

12 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I'll go to my grave saying/typing "Washington Redskins" and "Cleveland Indians."

Same here. Go Tribe!!!! Wooooo Woooooo Wooooo 

7 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I liked Washington Football Team

Yep. 

if the new owners want to change the name, the best move is to blame the change on something just in case the fans dont like it, to provide cover.

16 hours ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Redskins has a nice ring

Port Chester Whooping Cranes

14 hours ago, Voltaire said:

Ditto...

2 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I liked Washington Football Team

#metoo

Or tweak it to Washington Team of Football.  WTF baby. 

• Like 1

FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) - A North Dakota-based non-profit organization has filed a lawsuit against the Washington Commanders, the NFL team’s owner, the team’s senior manager and The National Congress of American Indians (NCAI).

According to the lawsuit, The Native American Guardian’s Association (NAGA) has started an online petition requesting that Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris change the team’s name back to the Washington Redskins. NAGA is a non-profit based in Devils Lake, ND.

The lawsuit lists accusations of defamation against Matthew Laux and the Commanders; civil conspiracy against Harris, the Commanders and NCAI; and conspiracy to violate civil rights against Harris, the Commanders and NCAI.

“NAGA’s members were huge Redskin fans precisely because they were the Redskins,” the lawsuit states. “It was the only team in the National Football League (NFL) to honor an actual Native American. They were proud to watch professional football players engage in a different kind of battle, with the stoic face of Chief White Calf on their helmets. They were honoring his courage as well as the bravery, strength, and fearlessness embedded in their history. That was until Josh Harris (Harris) erased him and had his employee defame NAGA to luxury ticket box owners.”

https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/09/25/north-dakota-group-files-federal-lawsuit-against-washington-commanders/

11 minutes ago, posty said:

Now that would be cool to see the Redskins get their correct name back...

Agree.   But the crying would be epic......and not unlike a parent after just hours of whining and crying, the baby ends up getting their way sometimes.

On 5/25/2023 at 10:35 PM, Voltaire said:

Not to mention the San Diego Chargers. 

9 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Agree.   But the crying would be epic......and not unlike a parent after just hours of whining and crying, the baby ends up getting their way sometimes.

Yup...  Might be just worth that to see the meltdowns...