Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

DeAndre Hopkins Released

Thanks for the help last season. Can’t wait to see your new home.  

Of those, the Eagles & Chargers would appear to have the least need for a guy capable of being a legit #1, at worst #2 WR.

KC he would be the top guy (at least at WR) and in Buffalo the #2.

The Jets are actually the perfect spot for him.  Solid run game, great defense, excellent QB.  They also have a ton of cap space.  They don't have to do any massaging of contracts.

2 hours ago, Phil Simms 11 said:

well, lets see if he ends up signing in one of those places.

its a tough age to be a free agent as hes likely only good for a couple years before the skills start to erode significantly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cards+22+m+dead+cap+hit+hopkins&rlz=1CAIGZW_enCA1027&oq=cards+22+m+dead+cap+hit+hopkins&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l3.7751j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

wow I didnt realize how large the dead cap hit was (22.6 M)  at that price I"m a bit surprised they dumped him.   they are only saving like 8 M on the cap by releasing him

they must have wanted him gone real bad.

makes me wonder if there was a rift in the dressing room or something.   I felt he was productive enough to keep one more year.    they dump him next year the dead cap hit is likely a lot less.    I'm guessing there is a lot more to this story than what we have seen so far.   anyone else have any insights?

47 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=cards+22+m+dead+cap+hit+hopkins&rlz=1CAIGZW_enCA1027&oq=cards+22+m+dead+cap+hit+hopkins&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l3.7751j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

wow I didnt realize how large the dead cap hit was (22.6 M)  at that price I"m a bit surprised they dumped him.   they are only saving like 8 M on the cap by releasing him

they must have wanted him gone real bad.

makes me wonder if there was a rift in the dressing room or something.   I felt he was productive enough to keep one more year.    they dump him next year the dead cap hit is likely a lot less.    I'm guessing there is a lot more to this story than what we have seen so far.   anyone else have any insights?

If they released him post June 1, the cap hit would have been around $11M next year against him. They did the right thing since they know they are not going anywhere this year. Screw the money, clean house and have a fresh slate next year without that crap hanging over their heads. Great job by Arizona. They can break in their new rookie WR in the mean time. 

if it is a given that the cards will not be competitive, I guess thats the right move if they cant trade him

43 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

if it is a given that the cards will not be competitive, I guess thats the right move if they cant trade him

They did make the mistake in keeping Murray.  In which I thought that was a bad move, and still do.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, weepaws said:

They did make the mistake in keeping Murray.  In which I thought that was a bad move, and still do.  

I actually thought there was a chance they might try to peddle him for a top pick and take a QB.  I get the feeling they are not quite as thrilled with him as advertised.

so you may be right.   hard to say, but the team wont be satisfied losing with what is supposed to be a franchise QB at the helm.   Either he wins and makes the headache of managing him worth it, or he doesnt and they find a way to get rid of him.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:33 PM, Ray_T said:

"I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens. I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

- Kyler Murray July 2022

I hope for Gesicki's sake that Hopkins doesn't land in New England, but given those 1,000 yard seasons he had under O'Brien in Houston (and given that I just drafted Gesicki in a $50 league), I'd say there's a larger-than-usual probability of that happening.

Very little ff value if they sign Hopkins, and they already have JuJu, and two solid TEs, biggest problem they will all face, is M Jones at Qb.  

50 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Very little ff value if they sign Hopkins, and they already have JuJu, and two solid TEs, biggest problem they will all face, is M Jones at Qb.  

Jones never had a Wr with Hopkins talent.  Now in his 3rd year, might take a step forward.

I'm in for a late round Hopkins pick. Probably won't draft JuJu now.

4 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

Jones never had a Wr with Hopkins talent.  Now in his 3rd year, might take a step forward.

I'm in for a late round Hopkins pick. Probably won't draft JuJu now.

I might be wrong, but based on some ADP I’ve been seeing Hopkins is going in the 5-6th round.  

Juju from what I’m seeing has a ADP in the 9-10 round.  Half PPR.  

I’ll wait.  

9 hours ago, weepaws said:

I might be wrong, but based on some ADP I’ve been seeing Hopkins is going in the 5-6th round.  

Juju from what I’m seeing has a ADP in the 9-10 round.  Half PPR.  

I’ll wait.  

you need more than one WR on your team.  if you think both are good value you can take both.

though I'm sure most of the risk with Hopkins is we dont know where he will end up, but I suspect hes gonna want to go somewhere where he thinks he will put up numbers and who he thinks will pay him.

That narrows the field considerably and he may have to settle on either money or on having a good team around him.    At this point I dont know what his preference would be.

With M Jones at Qb I wouldn’t want both, but I’ll take the much better value, that’s Juju. 

3 hours ago, weepaws said:

With M Jones at Qb I wouldn’t want both, but I’ll take the much better value, that’s Juju. 

Thats assuming he falls to you.   That does not always happen.

in a draft format, all you can do is wait for your turn and pick the best player on the board.

53 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

in a draft format, all you can do is wait for your turn and pick the best player on the board.

Until you graduate to auction drafts, that's true.

And then you'll never go back.

4 hours ago, Ray_T said:

Thats assuming he falls to you.   That does not always happen.

And that’s where the true strategy comes into play, do you draft a player a little early or sit for his ADP to come around,or do you get the true value drafting him lower than his ADP.  I mean what else can compare to the highest of strategy it takes to draft in a ff league, there is simply none. 

But I still think JuJu as a 8th rd pick would be better than Hopkins in the 5th rd, If Hopkins signs with the patriots. 

22 minutes ago, weepaws said:

And that’s where the true strategy comes into play, do you draft a player a little early or sit for his ADP to come around,or do you get the true value drafting him lower than his ADP.  I mean what else can compare to the highest of strategy it takes to draft in a ff league, there is simply none. 

But I still think JuJu as a 8th rd pick would be better than Hopkins in the 5th rd, If Hopkins signs with the patriots. 

of course you do, if you can get away with waiting an extra round.

JuJu in 8 vs hopkins in 5 is a tossup for me.

JuJu is going to an inferior offense to what he was in last year so I dont like him as much as I did last year.   Hopkins on the other hand has historically produced no matter how bad his starting QB was.   so I do think he should be drafted earlier and there is less risk there regardless of the age of Hopkins.

I do like both at their ADP but that may change as the hype train starts moving on one or both players

I’m okay with not drafting any of the two, right I’ll pass on Hopkins being  my best option in the 5th rd.   If I don’t draft JuJu it’s all dandy.  

M Jones is his Qb.  

Well if DHop is looking to get a ring he better look somewhere other than the Titans or Patriots. I feel safe saying I don't think either of those 2 teams are superbowl material this year. Also, not sure what kind of money he wants and that may factor into who can afford him with their present cap space. Ideally, yeah I'd like to see him go to the Chiefs if somehow they can make it work. I don't.think he's done searching for a home but surely it'll happen when training camps open. I know it would never happen but Hopkins on my 49ers would piss a bumch of people off. Surely it'd make them the favorites in the NFC but it'd probably disrupt the locker room as well and chemistry that Kittle,Deebo and Aiyuk have developed. Whoever signs him it's going to automatically make them.a better team. Don't think the Jets would sign him as their WR room is crowded now. He'd for sure be a good fit for the PATS because of familiarity with OC Bill O'Brian and even if they get him I still don't think they'll make it to the SB. Playoffs, yes, but DHop's just.not looking to make the playoffs, he's looking for a ring. Best he keeps searching then. The saga continues and we'll see where he ends up.

I agree if Hopkins wants to be on a contender this next season, the Patriots nor the Titans would be a good move.  

I suspect hes a guy that will chase the money but I cant say for sure.   he may just want to win.

most players will try to get both.

if hes willing to sign a shorter term a place like Buffalo with diggs on the other side would be sweet.   I just dont know that it will happen.   I suspect the bills dont have enough cap room to come anywhere close to full market value for him

If any of those superb teams want to sign Hopkins, they will make it work when it comes to the money.  

As a DHop dynasty owner, nothing excites me about a move to the Patriots.  He’s my WR2 (after AJB) but not sure he’d even be as productive as my current WR3 (Aiyuk).

Not sure I’ll target him before like the 6th round in redraft if that signing happens.

2 hours ago, makindollaz said:

He’s my WR2 (after AJB) but not sure he’d even be as productive as my current WR3 (Aiyuk).

Yeah, definitely a first-world problem to have a top 15 WR as your WR3, but you're right, it's doubtful Hopkins would be in the top 15, so Aiyuk is really your WR2.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, definitely a first-world problem to have a top 15 WR as your WR3, but you're right, it's doubtful Hopkins would be in the top 15, so Aiyuk is really your WR2.

You’re right, but I want to dominate this league this year.  I won it last year, but in the championship my opponent lost by 20 and had Diggs, who of course was in the Bengals/Bills MNF game.  
My team is stacked though.  WR is my weakest area and also have Dotson (who I think will blow up) on the bench.

If Hopkins signs with the Patriots, I wouldn’t look at him until late rd 6 or rd 7th.  Really wouldn’t have much interest in drafting anyone besides Stevenson on the Patriots.  The rest are streamers.  

On 6/13/2023 at 11:46 PM, LaChup said:

JuJu is going to SuckSuck

depends how they use him.   if they put him in the slot, he could do well there.

Pats use TE and slot WR far more than effectively than they do their wideouts.     if they put him at Wideout he will probably take a step back in production. 

I suspect they move him around so it will be a mix.  but thats my opinion.  I dont base that on anything.  its just a guess.   but I really could see JuJu doing well as a slot WR in that offense and if they say thats how they will use him I'd say hes likely to put up similar numbers to last year.  maybe even a bit better if everything goes well.