Sign in to follow this  
wolves111

The Case for Chase

I've seen several mocks this past week, including today's CBS Experts mock ("experts" being subjective of course) that project Chase as the #1 pick. I've been playing FF since 1994 and watched Rice, Brown, Megatron and others have great careers. But I can't remember one of them going #1 in a FF draft. 

But given the rules changes, injury history and the popularity of RBBC there appears to be some logic elevating the elite WR's over the elite RB's. Being conditioned to take RB's early and often over the years still gives me pause but I'm coming around.

As to Chase the #1 WR? Yeah, I can see that. 

Well, PPR scoring used to be pretty rare when Rice was dominating--and he was still often drafted near the top of the draft.

But as far as Chase, yeah, Jefferson is going to have more competition this season at WR, and he kind of folded during last year's fantasy championship run anyway, so I'm already a little skittish of him--and he sports a late Week 13 bye.

So I'm on team Chase as well this season; he has the best chance to be the #1 overall WR this year, especially at the end of the season, and he'll be shooting it out in KC where he always does well in fantasy championship week 17.

I thought this was an episode of paw patrol.  

I don’t know anyone would want to draft the second best wr in ff as their first overall pick.  

I have Jefferson 3rd , Chase 2nd , and Mr Kupp at number one like he was last year with a sore Qb. 

All that I have been seeing is that Stafford is healthy, that should even help Mr Kupp even more this season.  

Last season in the nine games Kupp played he was the number wr in non ppr, half ppr, and full ppr, based on avg.  

Thanks.  

Antonio Brown was the consensus #1 just a few years ago…

30 minutes ago, weepaws said:

I thought this was an episode of paw patrol.  

I don’t know anyone would want to draft the second best wr in ff as their first overall pick.  

I have Jefferson 3rd , Chase 2nd , and Mr Kupp at number one like he was last year with a sore Qb. 

All that I have been seeing is that Stafford is healthy, that should even help Mr Kupp even more this season.  

Last season in the nine games Kupp played he was the number wr in non ppr, half ppr, and full ppr, based on avg.  

Thanks.  

agreed.

though Staffords health isnt exactly a given. he was injury prone early in his career   then had a few healthy years.

now that hes older maybe this is rearing its ugly head again.  hard to say for sure.   but he is at that age (35) when people start to get injured a lot more often.

I'd still say Kupp should be the top guy, but its close enough that I could see some picking Chase due to being on a better team and a younger team.

for me its a matter of preference.  I'd be happy to have either on my team.

If you're not advanced enough to be doing auction drafts yet, and you're not picking in the first five picks, you probably don't have a shot at Jefferson or Chase.  Kupp has enough question marks to give someone near the back of the draft order a shot at an elite WR, if they want to go that route.

• Like 1

I want to wait to get the top wr, great value don’t you think? 

Took him sixth overall last year, that worked out great for about a month :mad:

I still prefer to have a top RB to a top WR.

because a top WR can play well but have a bad year because his QB has a bad year (or gets hurt)

so there is a bit more risk that way than there is with a top RB. (in my opinion)

also there seems to be an awful lot of good WR out there now.   good RB are getting harder to find.   so to me, thats where the supply and demand factor starts to make sense.

Jamarr Chase is a decent option for the first overall pick. I would probably put Justin Jefferson just ahead of him, but Chase is not too far behind. I don't think you will be very disappointed with either unless they are injured.

WR is the dominant position now in fantasy football. The NFL has just changed to the point that RBs aren't what they used to be and WRs are more important than ever. There's still a few RBs worthy of a 1st round pick but not enough to be the majority. In PPR, a RB has to be quite active in the passing game to even be considered in the 1st round. That or be Derrick Henry. RBs are more like TEs. There's a few good ones and the rest it's pretty much weekly PPR or TD roulette

Non ppr, half ppr, full ppr, if I’m drafting early I’m taking a rb, if I draft later into the draft, and where that  is solely depends on my own personal rankings I’ll take a wr.  

On 5/30/2023 at 10:23 PM, polecatt said:

Jamarr Chase is a decent option for the first overall pick. I would probably put Justin Jefferson just ahead of him, but Chase is not too far behind. I don't think you will be very disappointed with either unless they are injured.

WR is the dominant position now in fantasy football. The NFL has just changed to the point that RBs aren't what they used to be and WRs are more important than ever. There's still a few RBs worthy of a 1st round pick but not enough to be the majority. In PPR, a RB has to be quite active in the passing game to even be considered in the 1st round. That or be Derrick Henry. RBs are more like TEs. There's a few good ones and the rest it's pretty much weekly PPR or TD roulette

So, the 2023 Fantasy index magazine is out and JJ is on the cover. I'm disappointed as in one of my leagues I have the first pick in a redraft league. The last few years being on that cover is a jinx. Taylor in 2022, Todd Gurley, McCaffrey and a few others had down years in recent editions. Mahomes did well although not his best year in 2021 finishing fourth among QB's.

Looks like I'll be taking Chase.

1 hour ago, wolves111 said:

Looks like I'll be taking Chase.

This is the best bet for #1 overall this season.

My league has weird points. Beyond 100+ yds it's 0.2 points per yard instead of 0.1, along with normal ppr. (really adds up in those 150+ yd games). Top WRs eclipse 100 yds a hell of lot more often than RBs and they have less risk. Thus I'm WR guy first few rounds and don't even think about RBs til round 4 or so.

Quite comfortable loading up RBs rounds 5, 6, 7, 8... this year it's guys like Dobbins, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, White, Sanders, Conner, Kamara... Doesn't matter - just filler. My real points come from 3 stud WRs.

As for Chase over Jefferson... yeah, not a big stretch. I think all Jefferson drafters have to be a little concerned about Cousins, the new WR, and what the loss of Cook will do to the offense. Meanwhile, not much changes in CIN, other than Burrow adds another solid year to his belt.

43 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

My league has weird points. Beyond 100+ yds it's 0.2 points per yard instead of 0.1, along with normal ppr. (really adds up in those 150+ yd games). Top WRs eclipse 100 yds a hell of lot more often than RBs and they have less risk. Thus I'm WR guy first few rounds and don't even think about RBs til round 4 or so.

Quite comfortable loading up RBs rounds 5, 6, 7, 8... this year it's guys like Dobbins, Pierce, Akers, Pacheco, White, Sanders, Conner, Kamara... Doesn't matter - just filler. My real points come from 3 stud WRs.

As for Chase over Jefferson... yeah, not a big stretch. I think all Jefferson drafters have to be a little concerned about Cousins, the new WR, and what the loss of Cook will do to the offense. Meanwhile, not much changes in CIN, other than Burrow adds another solid year to his belt.

As AxeElf pointed out that week 13 bye is not ideal, along with the departure of Theilen and Cook. JJ could be looking at triple teams. I would suggest however it may open up things for Hockenson. Bit of a stretch I know...