Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Magnus Carlsen is bored with chess, no one can challenge him, effectively quits chess

Hes like 32 years old, made millions playing chess, is bored and probably wants to do other things with his life.

Poor guy, tell him to pick up a Bible. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Magnus owes bookies money and they are gonna kill his dad?

You don’t fock with Big Chess!! 

how do you make millions playing chess?

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

its strange to me that someone can be that much better at chess then someone else

Magnus is better at chess than anyone, but "that much better"... meh. He still loses - some upcoming 17 y.o. GM beat him the other day.  What's really strange is there aren't many players within 100 rating points of Magnus (rated 2853). If I didn't know better I'd guess... thousands, or hundreds, or whatever players would be within 100 points.  The answer... 8 players in the entire world. 

Magnus made the strange decision to not defend his Title because apparently it didn't pay enough to justify months and months of preparation.  This wasn't true for any other chess player in history, but Magnus became such a unique financial success with endorsements and tournament wins that the prize money ($1 mil I think) was peanuts. 

It's weird now - Magnus is the highest rated player in the world, but not the Champ. Which was kind of crappy for the new Champ - Ding Loren.  The chess world doesn't really respect his title for that reason. Everyone knows he's second best, at best.

1 hour ago, GobbleDog said:

Magnus is better at chess than anyone, but "that much better"... meh. He still loses - some upcoming 17 y.o. GM beat him the other day.  What's really strange is there aren't many players within 100 rating points of Magnus (rated 2853). If I didn't know better I'd guess... thousands, or hundreds, or whatever players would be within 100 points.  The answer... 8 players in the entire world. 

Magnus made the strange decision to not defend his Title because apparently it didn't pay enough to justify months and months of preparation.  This wasn't true for any other chess player in history, but Magnus became such a unique financial success with endorsements and tournament wins that the prize money ($1 mil I think) was peanuts. 

It's weird now - Magnus is the highest rated player in the world, but not the Champ. Which was kind of crappy for the new Champ - Ding Loren.  The chess world doesn't really respect his title for that reason. Everyone knows he's second best, at best.

Interesting, I recall now that you follow chess, thanks for the info.  That would kinda suck for this Ding person, except the $1M, that wouldn't suck.  And to an extent, all you can do is play the opponent in front of you.  :thumbsup: 

Marques Colston was a big waiver wire pickup that one year.