Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Doug Orth's Rookie Rankings

23 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

well, it feels like Penix is a better deep ball thrower and Nix is a better scrambler.  While Penix has that tool in the toolbox, the fact hes been injured a lot likely makes him a bad candidate to play this way.   if I was his coach I'd tell him not to scramble unless he absolutely has to.   I'd groom him as a pocket passer.    I think this kid will be able to play if he has a good line in front of him.    but that good line is necessary.   not only to aid his development but  also to keep him from taking too many hits.    if you dont want your QB to scramble, you gotta build a good line to keep a clean pocket for your guy to work behind.

I have no issues with Penix, I think there's a really good chance he pans out to be a solid QB.  That said, this year in a re-draft fantasy league, there is a 0% chance I rank him higher than Nix.  Not happening.  Even if Cousins is slow in healing and gets no snaps in pre-season (to which, I wouldn't be shocked if that happens regardless), the Falcons have no plans to play Penix this year.  I wouldn't even be surprised if Cousins can't go W1, that Penix isn't even the starter.

2 hours ago, Ray_T said:

well, it feels like Penix is a better deep ball thrower and Nix is a better scrambler.  While Penix has that tool in the toolbox, the fact hes been injured a lot likely makes him a bad candidate to play this way.   if I was his coach I'd tell him not to scramble unless he absolutely has to.   I'd groom him as a pocket passer.    I think this kid will be able to play if he has a good line in front of him.    but that good line is necessary.   not only to aid his development but  also to keep him from taking too many hits.    if you dont want your QB to scramble, you gotta build a good line to keep a clean pocket for your guy to work behind.

At least with Penix, even as fast as he is, he never seems to scramble anyway, so he probably won't get hurt that way.

I was highly impressed with Penix on most of the games I saw.  There were a couple of stinkers, but man he would zip passes right by defenders ear holes some times.

He definitely gives his receivers a chance.  He's a bit of a throw back in that way.  A lot of QBs nowadays want a yard of separation when releasing the ball.

based on some of the scouting reports I saw, he would have gone a lot earlier in the draft if it wasnt for the injury history.

1 hour ago, Ray_T said:

based on some of the scouting reports I saw, he would have gone a lot earlier in the draft if it wasnt for the injury history.

Honestly Penix is probably the most pro ready out of anyone drafted. If not for the chronic injuries he'd probably of been the #2 QB taken. 

I feel bad for the kid because he's basically going to rot in Atlanta. He'll probably 27 before he even gets a chance to be a starter in the NFL. And that's if things go good. 

I'm not sure it's a good strategy for Atlanta to rely on an older Penix to win games. Penix injuries can have devastating results over time.

9 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Honestly Penix is probably the most pro ready out of anyone drafted. If not for the chronic injuries he'd probably of been the #2 QB taken. 

I feel bad for the kid because he's basically going to rot in Atlanta. He'll probably 27 before he even gets a chance to be a starter in the NFL. And that's if things go good. 

One of my takeaways from everyone crying about Atlanta taking Penix when they already had Cousins is that Cousins will probably get his foot run over by a golf cart or something and we'll see Penix in this year.  That's usually how it works.  Everyone cries like they can predict the future and then when they're wrong they say the thought process was still good.

4 minutes ago, LaChup said:

I'm not sure it's a good strategy for Atlanta to rely on an older Penix to win games. Penix injuries can have devastating results over time.

They should of drafted Spencer Rattler in the 5th. It made no sense to draft a QB that early, especially if he's not going to play for years. 

17 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

or he gets a season to get healthy while cousins plays.   Might be a good thing.

7 minutes ago, nobody said:

One of my takeaways from everyone crying about Atlanta taking Penix when they already had Cousins is that Cousins will probably get his foot run over by a golf cart or something and we'll see Penix in this year.  That's usually how it works.  Everyone cries like they can predict the future and then when they're wrong they say the thought process was still good.

Because it was a dumb pick at 8, especially when you're in a window to win now. 

And it's not exactly like Penix is a model for health. He's had numerous major injuries and is old a hell. 

The pick of Penix was horrible there. Especially with all the weapons available to them to win now. 

And that's exactly why it'll work out.

I think it would be smart for Atlanta to put their Penix away for the time being. In Atlanta, it's just a matter of time before Cousins goes down and Penix comes out.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LaChup said:

I think it would be smart for Atlanta to put their Penix away for the time being. In Atlanta, it's just a matter of time before Cousins goes down and Penix comes out.

Penix will be behind Cousins and ready to be inserted when Cousins goes down. They'll probably ease him in and implement the spread formation until he's more comfortable at the position. They won't give it to him all at once. 

• Haha 1

Penix loves the Tight End, who is actually more of a Wide Receiver. If Penix can keep inching his way down by giving him balls, Atlanta won't need to rely on Cousins for big TDs.

2 hours ago, LaChup said:

Penix loves the Tight End, who is actually more of a Wide Receiver. If Penix can keep inching his way down by giving him balls, Atlanta won't need to rely on Cousins for big TDs.

He was a tight end before he switched teams, now he's a wide receiver.