Sign in to follow this  
U Dub

decimal scoring for QB yardage?

i'm wondering how to set up decimal scoring for QB yardage? i have RB and WR set at .1 per yard. that seems to high for a QB?

Our league scores 1 point for every 25 yards for a QB. Our RB's and WR's are set at 1 point for every 10 yards. It seems to work out pretty well this way in total points by position.

hth

thats bascially how i have it set up right now. do you allow decimal scoring?

i was considering .05..... seems like it would even out the RB/WR and QB

i've never been in a league that uses decimal but i like the idea. i think it would eliminate the one or two ties we have each year for one thing. also, there is nothing like missing another point by a yard or two so decimal seems more fair.

if i create a new league, i'll probably use decimal scoring

.05 sounds good to me

There were 2 reasons that we converted to decimal scoring.

1.) We got sick of the occasional tie, it's just such a lelt down to face off with your good buddy and have no one walk away with bragging rights.

2.) I personally can not stand when two of my players would get 98-99 yards and I would lose the game by a point because I wan't granted the fractional points that would have given me a win. (sadly it happened on a number of occasions)

So, we discussed it and got it changed. I think universally everyone is much happier now.

One thing I would definately suggest though once you convert to decimal scoring (if you don't already do this) is penalize for negative yardage. We found that since we are awarding for minimal gains we should also be certain to penalize for major losses.

yeah, i've never done the decimal scoring. it looks promising though. i think it will cut down on the ties and yes! i hate being a yard short of another point.

could you explain the negative scoring?

.1 for every 2 yards passing

RB gets .1 pt for every 1 yard rushing

a little different, but isn't that the same as 20 yds equal 1 point? .05 for 1 yard = .1 for 2 yards

Most leagues and sites use negative yardage as a default already. But for those that don't, if you use fractional scoring it's almost a must. Your league likely uses it completely unbeknownst to you but for explaininations sake:

To my experience typically you will see non-negative yardage in leagues that don't award for attempt/rec.

In both systems, if a guy rushes forward for 3 yards he gets credited 3 yards.

In neg. yardage scoring, on his next rush if he goes for -2 yards his total is now 1 yard.

If you do NOT use negative yardage he would still be at 3 yards total. (the player is awarded for all positive yardage amassed)

One reason leagues use this system is for the rare case of a team blowing out another and the QB takes multiple kneel downs to end the game. If you don't penalize for neg. yardage the QB wont lose points for being forced to "technically" rush for neg 1 yard every kneel down.

Again, it's extremely uncommon to not use neg. yardage and you likely already do but there are some leagues that don't. If you use fractional though IMO it's a must.

i gotcha, so if your sitting there watching the live scoring and your RB runs 5 yards, he gets .5 points, then the next attempt he goes for -2. he gets -.2 points. for a total of .3 points for the 2 downs.

i don't know if i see why its needed, because if the rusher runs for 105 yds, hes still gonna get the 10.5 points at the end of the game. so if he loses yds here and there, it doesn't matter. its all in the total yds at the end of the game anyways. right?

unless your starter goes for a loss on the first play and gets hurt, then you will see the neg point value.