Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

The All-2nd Day/FA Draft Team

We all know the draft stories of Tom Brady, Terrell Davis, and dozens of other NFL stars that demonstrated why evaluating players is more of a craft than either science or art. So here's my stab at the next group of players that might not get the big bucks on draft day, but I think have a shot to prove they not only belong, but also contribute on a high level:

QB Bruce Gradkowski, Toledo: He may sneak into the first day, but I think he'll likely be an early second day pick. Gradkowski is smart, athletic, accurate, and tough. Durability, lack of elite arm strength, and height knock the Toledo starter down the draft board. Still, if you've watched Gradkowski play, there's a lot to like about his game. I watch the little things in quarterbacks. Are they smooth and quick in their drops? Do they execute the play action game with a high level of polish? When they make aggressive decisions, do they execute at a high enough level to make the risk worthwhile? According to the gamefilm on Gradkowski the answer is a clear yes. While other teams draft the next Rob Johnson, someone is going to wind up with a gamer along the lines of the other MAC quarterbacks we've recently seen make a splash in the pros.

RB Wali Lundy, Virginia: Lundy spent the past couple of years as an I-back mismatched in a spread offense. It appears his draft status plummeted this year, but to project him below a back like Fresno State's Wendell Mathis is just plain wrong. I don't get what people are watching when they make this kind of assessment. I'm sure I risk looking like a fool with that statement, but that's what the draft does to everyone on an annual basis when they make predications. Lundy is a back with decent power, vision, and a knack for getting into the endzone. Mathis is a back lacking vision and creativity. I watched his performance versus USC this year, the stats were far more impressive than what he demonstrated on the field. Lundy will eventually thrive somewhere and has first-day talent.

WR Charles Sharon, Bowling Green: The only well-known draft analyst I have noticed talking about Charles Sharon in any capacity is Dallas Morning News columnist Rich Gosslein--who happens to have one of the better track records of mock drafts anywhere. Sharon doesn't have great deep speed, but his initial quickness is better than some of the elite prospects in this class. His route running sophisticated for his level of experience, and he uses excellent receiving technique as a pass catcher. When you combine these three qualities, you get a receiver that was able to get open anywhere on the field at the college. Sharon made Omar Jacobs look good, and I just don't see how he doesn't get drafted. His skill sets remind me of a combination of Terry Glenn and Keenan McCardell. Will he be that successful? That's a tall order, but I think he's worth watching and a late-round flier.

WR Sam Hurd, Northern Illinois: I'd mention Mike Hass, but he's too obvious and I still think he has a shot to be a first day pick. On the other hand, Hurd may not get drafted at all, but he has excellent hands, body control, and might be the best blocking receiver I saw this year. Hurd was the leader of the Huskies squad, and is a tireless worker. I see a little bit of Michael Clayton (a healthy, productive Clayton) in Sam Hurd--not too fast, but tall, fearless, and field-smart. He'll probably have to work his way onto a roster. Once he does, I believe he'll make an impact.

TE Joe Kowalewski, Syracuse: Kowalewski was one of those misfit athletes without success at one position until former KC and Denver coordinator, Greg Robinson took over the Orangemen head coaching job. He still has a lot to learn about the position, but he demonstrated a lot of natural talent as a route runner and receiver in the west coast offense. I think Kowalewski can develop into a quality, NFL receiving tight end if a team takes a chance on him. I believe Robinson will find a way to help Kowalewski make it happen. He'll probably go undrafted because he couldn't work out during Syracuse's pro day.

For play-by-play, game film analysis on these prospects (and 111 more players) see the sig below...