Sign in to follow this  
fatsnagrom

Question from a 1st-time keeper league commish

I'm starting up a new keeper league with some friends for the first time. In this league, if you pick a player in the 15th round and you decide to make him your keeper, you have to give up a 15th round draft choice in the upcoming year's draft. My question is, if you keep that player and give up the 15th round draft choice, he's on your team for the next season. But then, what if you want to keep him for the next season as well? Are you allowed to retain the player for more than 2 consecutive seasons? Do you just simply give up your 15th round draft choice again? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There are multiple ways to handle this. In some leagues that I'm in, you lose a draft pick two rounds before the round you chose the player the previous year. This limits the number of times a player can be kept because his value slowly escalates. So, if Larry Johnson was taken in round 7 last year, he's a 5th rounder this year, a 3rd rounder next year and a 1st rounder in 2008. Then, in 2009, he goes back into the draft pool.

The other option is to set a limit to the number of years a player can be kept. Most leagues I've seen use 3, 4 or 5.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response, that helps a lot. A question on the scenario in which the draft value escalates 2 rounds every year- what if you choice a player in the 2nd round- the draft value can't escalate a full 2 rounds, so does he automaticallly go back into the draft pool the next year?

A question on the scenario in which the draft value escalates 2 rounds every year- what if you choice a player in the 2nd round- the draft value can't escalate a full 2 rounds, so does he automaticallly go back into the draft pool the next year?

You got it.

We use a similar system in my league. The round pick to keep a guy is (round drafted - number of years kept - 1). That way, no first rounders can ever be kept.

So take the example of Larry Johnson in the 7th above. This year, you would keep him for a 6th round pick. Next year, he would be a 4th round pick (6th - 1 year kept - 1 = 4). The year after, he would be a 1st round pick (4th - 2 years kept - 1).

It makes it a little more attractive to keep the player that first year, but gets more and more costly as the years go on.

We also put a limit on the worth of a player at 9th round. Anyone drafted after the 9th or picked up off waivers counts as a 9th round pick (and is thus kept for an 8th round pick that first year).

You got it.

We use a similar system in my league. The round pick to keep a guy is (round drafted - number of years kept - 1). That way, no first rounders can ever be kept.

So take the example of Larry Johnson in the 7th above. This year, you would keep him for a 6th round pick. Next year, he would be a 4th round pick (6th - 1 year kept - 1 = 4). The year after, he would be a 1st round pick (4th - 2 years kept - 1).

It makes it a little more attractive to keep the player that first year, but gets more and more costly as the years go on.

We also put a limit on the worth of a player at 9th round. Anyone drafted after the 9th or picked up off waivers counts as a 9th round pick (and is thus kept for an 8th round pick that first year).

Thanks! This formula looks pretty good- I may use this in my league. I appreciate the advice.