Sign in to follow this  
pottsie

How long to wait for IDP

My first draft with an IDP is tonight. It's a 10 team league...Generally speaking, when do you begin to target an IDP? I'm thinking pretty late (like round 10 or so).

Thanks and good luck this year.

My first draft with an IDP is tonight. It's a 10 team league...Generally speaking, when do you begin to target an IDP? I'm thinking pretty late (like round 10 or so).

You gotta tell people your starting positions and how many IDPs you start.

In my 12 team league, IDPs start going around round 9. In a 10 team league it could be later.

Nevertheless, here are the positions most teams fill before starting to get IDPs:

Starting QB

Starting WRs (3?)

Starting RBs (2 or 3?)

If you take a top TE, then that will go first, same for a top D. So you can take the top IDP (Vilma) as early as the 8th round. If you take a top TE or top D, you start taking IDPs in round 9 or 10.

I believe in the first year of an IDP league, IDPs will be valued slightly less. If you're near one of the ends, I would take the two best LBs available on that bend (either 9/10 or 10/11). Go Vilma and either Donnie Edwards, Bulluck or Ray Lewis.

You gotta tell people your starting positions and how many IDPs you start.

In my 12 team league, IDPs start going around round 9. In a 10 team league it could be later.

Nevertheless, here are the positions most teams fill before starting to get IDPs:

Starting QB

Starting WRs (3?)

Starting RBs (2 or 3?)

If you take a top TE, then that will go first, same for a top D. So you can take the top IDP (Vilma) as early as the 8th round. If you take a top TE or top D, you start taking IDPs in round 9 or 10.

I believe in the first year of an IDP league, IDPs will be valued slightly less. If you're near one of the ends, I would take the two best LBs available on that bend (either 9/10 or 10/11). Go Vilma and either Donnie Edwards, Bulluck or Ray Lewis.

I should have added more details. It's a 12 team league with a QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, TE, DEF, K, and 1 IDP (it can be any position)...I was thinking around round 9 or 10, so you confirmed what I was thinking...thanks for the help!

it all depends on your league's scoring. idp drafts are fickle and ive seen initial runs happen anywhere from the 5th to the 10th. you need to have your tiers in order and execute good value based drafting on the fly.

it all depends on your league's scoring. idp drafts are fickle and ive seen initial runs happen anywhere from the 5th to the 10th. you need to have your tiers in order and execute good value based drafting on the fly.

He makes a good point, and with only 1 IDP (our league starts 6), you can wait on it. And in only a 10 team league there will still be a lot of talent availabe in the 9th and 10th rounds that you'd be passing over.

As long as you get one of the following, then you'll be in good shape:

Vilma, Bulluck, Lewis, Edwards, Peterson, Urlacher and Zach Thomas.

Over a 16 week fantasy season, all of these players will put up numbers within about 1 point per week of each other. Unless most of those guys have been taken, don't pass up good talent to be the first to take one. My earlier advice was for leagues playing multiple IDPs. If you were even playing 2, I'd say at one of the bends take 2 of the above guys and you'd be set.

If your league counts return yards, I'd also put Terrence McGee and even Pacman Jones up there.

if you only start 1 with a DST i wouldnt even think about this till te very end

i have IDP players rated slightly above kickers and TEs, they have better value than TEs yet are about as predictable as kickers

my league is 10 teams, 17 rounds

rounds 13-15 is my IDP players, i may take one around 10-11 if the rest is picked through and one of the better guys falls, round 16 is my TE, round 17 is my kicker

ive played IDP for 6 years now and i think with the exception of a select few, everyones starting IDPers from week 3 onwards has come from the WW

with only 12, maximum of 24 picked here is no need to go after one in the 10th or so, there will be way too much value later that you are just wasting that pick

Vilma, R Lewis, Barnett, Thomas, Edwards, Bulluck, Urlacher, S Taylor, A Wilson, R Williams, DJ Williams, Peterson, Fletcher, Spikes, Brooking, Quarles.... those are pretty much the only guys you should even consider here unless you get points for return yards, then McGee factors in

basically, stay away from anything but S and LB... it wont be worth it unless your scoring is heavy on sacks and INTs..... and i mean heavy