Sign in to follow this  
whoisjgalt

Dynasty QB's

link

Philip Rivers is waaaaaaaaaaaay too low. Behind Drew Brees? The Chargers let him walk because they love Rivers more. Behind Michael Vick? Maybe if your league only gives two points per passing TD. Behind a rookie QB? He hasn't proven anything either. Behind the human sack compiler? No way.

For me:

1) P.Manning

2) C.Palmer

3) T.Brady

4) E.Manning

5) D.Culpepper

6) P.Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger is also too low. He's top ten in my book.

link

Philip Rivers is waaaaaaaaaaaay too low. Behind Drew Brees? The Chargers let him walk because they love Rivers more. Behind Michael Vick? Maybe if your league only gives two points per passing TD. Behind a rookie QB? He hasn't proven anything either. Behind the human sack compiler? No way.

For me:

1) P.Manning

2) C.Palmer

3) T.Brady

4) E.Manning

5) D.Culpepper

6) P.Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger is also too low. He's top ten in my book.

Rivers is behind Brees because we know what Brees is capable of doing. I also feel he's in a better system for a fantasy QB and believe Reggie Bush will help Brees out in the passing game a bit. He also has some talented young WRs coming up through the system. In the meantime, Joe Horn is still there as the #1. The Chargers may have let Brees walk, but I wouldn't say it's because they love Rivers so much more. They did make an offer to Brees after all. Furthermore, when you use a Top 5 pick on your QB of the future, you can't afford to sit him on the bench forever. Brees was headed out of San Diego one way or another and the Chargers weren't going to spend big money on two QBs.

I have him behind Vick simply because of Vick's rushing ability. Also, as mentioned in the article, Vick is only 26, he still has time to develope in the NFL. He also falls behind Vick because of the conservative offense he plays in under Shottenheimer. I don't expect Rivers to rack up a bunch of yards or TDs his first couple years starting.

He's behind Leinart for obvious reasons. Leinart could be cracking the Top 5 over the next 3 years. He's surrounded by a bunch of young talent (outside of RB) and plays for a coach that will let him toss the ball all over the field.

As for Carr--he has a new HC and a new system he'll be playing in. He should benefit from it and the number of times he gets sacked should decrease over the next few years as Kubiak puts his offense together. I think Carr has the potential to perform in the same manner Plummer has for the Broncos.

As for Roethlisberger--I don't ever see him cracking the Top 10 as long as he plays under Bill Cowher. I'm also a bit skeptical of how he would handle a heavier workload without the support of such a strong running game. In a new system, he'd have the chance to crack the top 10, but that isn't the case right now. Maybe he jumps up if Cowher retires at the end of the season like some have speculated.

All in all, there's no way I could consider Rivers a Top 10 Dynasty QB at the moment. Half way through the season, I may reconsider, but if I were going through an inaugural Dynasty draft, I would prefer to select everyone of the QBs I have listed ahead of him.

One other note, if you see a QB ranked 2-3 spots behind someone else, they are obviously considered close in value and it simply becomes a matter of personal opinion or preference. In my view of Rivers, I'll need to see him perform a bit before I put too much confidence in him as my Dynasty QB. Matt Leinart on the other hand, the talent surrounding him and the system he's playing in make me view him as a future stud at the position eventhough he hasn't taken a snap in a regualr season game.

In my view of Rivers, I'll need to see him perform a bit before I put too much confidence in him as my Dynasty QB.

In Dynasty, that's too late. The guys who win are the ones who got Gore last year rather than this week (or even last month). You have to be ahead of the curve. Finding out that a guy is good at the same time everyone else does just means you have to pay full price to get him and that leads to the curse of Dynasty: mediocrity. Better to be bad than mediocre - at least you get the rookie picks to help fix things.

You know what you're getting with Vick and Carr, and it' might be decent but won't ever be great. I'd rather risk being wrong with Rivers who I believe will be great than settle for those guys who'll be permanent fixtures in the middle of the pack.

In Dynasty, that's too late. The guys who win are the ones who got Gore last year rather than this week (or even last month). You have to be ahead of the curve. Finding out that a guy is good at the same time everyone else does just means you have to pay full price to get him and that leads to the curse of Dynasty: mediocrity. Better to be bad than mediocre - at least you get the rookie picks to help fix things.

You know what you're getting with Vick and Carr, and it' might be decent but won't ever be great. I'd rather risk being wrong with Rivers who I believe will be great than settle for those guys who'll be permanent fixtures in the middle of the pack.

I understand you need to try and grab key players before everyone else catches on--I just don't view Rivers as one of those players (I also think when it comes to QBs, it doesn't matter as much unless you think the guy will be a Top 6-8 QB on a yearly basis). The rankings are more or less to measure a QBs current Dynasty Value so you can see where he stacks up. Do you honestly believe Rivers is widely viewed as a Top 10 Dynasty QB? I just don't see it.

How many years do you think it will take before he's even a useful starter on your fantasy team? 3 years from now, maybe. 2 years from now, a possibilty. This season--I'll be surprised if he's among the Top 15 fantasy QBs.

If you had a 100 people rank their Top 10 Dynasty QBs, I wouldn't expect more than 5-10 to have Rivers among them. If you believe he's that valuable, then stick by it. If I was the Rivers owner in your league though, I'd get as much as I could for him from you and find myself another QB. I don't see Rivers being among the elite in the near future. I'll wait til after he struggles a few seasons and everyone is down on him before acquiring him again at a cheaper price. Sort of like what you can do a bit with David Carr right now, and to a lesser extent, Byron Leftwich.