Sign in to follow this  
z00g

Weird position requirements

Hi,

I'm set to draft soon in a league with requirements that are a bit foreign for me...12 team ppr. The thing that really throws me is the 2 quarterbacks. And only 3 bench spots - which makes bench spots a premium; no room for handcuffs or anything really. Does this force me to use those bench spots on one QB, one WR, one RB?

If so, then some team is going to end up with a non-starting quarterback on the bench. If it gets to that, wouldn't it be better to take some lower-end WR or RB and, come bye week, pick up anyone who's starting from the waivers?

Also on the 2QBs part...I was thinking picking my QBs round 5 to 8, but I suspect there may be a QB run earlier. I had been planning on not taking QBs til later, but having to start two affects my draft strategy in ways I'm not quite sure...does this mean you have to reach earlier for a top-tier QB? If there's an early run on QBs, do you bite?

Thanks.

With that small of a bench I would take RB-RB-QB-WR-QB. You want to get 2 solid running backs right away since you have no bench room for handcuffs. Never done a league like this, but if I did that is how I would approach it.

i just did a similar thing this w/e, but it was a 10-teamer, w/ 3WR instead of 2...

plus the QBs got .25 per completion (which makes them even more valuable)...

w/ 10 teams each taking 2 starting QBs, that leaves 12 leftovers - but how many of those 12 were guaranteed starters? now, you're doing 12 teams, if each takes 2, that leaves 8 "starters" and a whole bunch of scrubs...

the difference w/ only having 3 bench spots is that everyone will be trying to protect their "studs" on their bye weeks - so this is VERY important - WATCH YOUR BYE WEEKS FIRST!!! you do not want to have multiple "studs" w/ the same bye week or you'll really be screwed... so that inherently means DO NOT take QB/WR or QB/RB or RB/WR combos no matter what you do or you'll only have 1 other bench spot on that teams bye week...

Handcuffs and sleepers are not really a concern in a league like this because no one has the bench room... Alot depends on the WW rules. the league i'm in is FCFS, so you'll have the guy that watches the game right by the computer that as soon as a starter goes down he'll drop someone and pick up the backup (funny thing is when mid-week it's announced the starter is still starting, and someone else picks up the guy the sniper dropped).

on when to take a certain position. It's really hard to predict because you don't know when a certain position is going to go on a run, and it also depends on scoring system... our system makes QBs high scorers, so they start rolling in the 3rd for the 2nd tier guys, and then they float in and out until about rd. 8 by rd 10, if you don't have a 3rd QB, you're not going to bother picking one up - you'll just vulture one off the waiver wire when someone else has to drop them to cover a bye week...

HTH

Yeah, we don't have points-per-completion, but there are nice bonuses for 300-yds passing, 100yds rushing, receiving, or returning.

I think I'm leaning towards RB-RB, although I think I'll go WR after that just to solidify my WR position before going on a QB. Hopefully a Hasselbeck or Eli or Delhomme will be available in the 4th - maybe I shouldn't wait another round til the 5th.

Interesting thing is points are awarded for returns, the exact same way points are awarded for rushing/receiving: 1 point per 20 yards, touchdowns/100-yd bonuses being the same. I'm wondering if I can get away with taking Eddie Drummond in the 10th (there's only 12 yards), or someone else who'd have a huge year returning but probably would be completely under the radar because there isn't actually a "returner" position.

Good tip on watching bye weeks. I'm making a draft sheet now, and writing each player's bye week next to their name...it's going to be really important here.

I don't think I'm going to try going for a 3rd QB so I can stock up on depth at WR (see the thing on returners) and be able to draft my other two QBs in the middle rounds.

Any returner projections anywhere, by the way? Can't seem to find any credible ones. Not sure I can trust Yahoo.

Any returner projections anywhere, by the way? Can't seem to find any credible ones. Not sure I can trust Yahoo.

gotta go for the dual-purpose guys in that regard... the most obvious one is Reggie Bush if he does return kicks...

Another rookie value for returning will be DeAngelo Williams because he will get some carries throughout the year, and if Foster does go down, he'll be the obvious starter (but will then probably stop returning kicks, although SSmith was returning punts as a starter and still may do it this year again).

I'm not sure Reggie Bush will return kicks. He'd be great at it, and he wants to, but I'm not sure they'll expose him to that injury risk. It's a good idea - but I'm not sure Bush will fall farther than round 4, so I don't think I'll get him. I'd be way uneasy having him as RB2.

DeAngelo would be an intruiging prospect. Any word on if he is returning kicks?

Also, Dominic Rhodes was a kick returner last year, I believe. If he continues that role, he might be worht a mid-round pick...maybe?

I'm not sure Reggie Bush will return kicks. He'd be great at it, and he wants to, but I'm not sure they'll expose him to that injury risk. It's a good idea - but I'm not sure Bush will fall farther than round 4, so I don't think I'll get him. I'd be way uneasy having him as RB2.

DeAngelo would be an intruiging prospect. Any word on if he is returning kicks?

Also, Dominic Rhodes was a kick returner last year, I believe. If he continues that role, he might be worht a mid-round pick...maybe?

yes, DeAngelo is definitely 100% returning kicks (especially after the 98 yarder he had last game).

the only way he possibly won't is if he becomes the #1 RB due to Foster injury...