Sign in to follow this  
thenewlibrahi2

Keeper Question

This is my first year having a keeper. It's a 5 year old league, first year, and we are keeping 1 player. 10 teams, when you keep the player from last year, you lose that draft spot this year. So, do you try to keep people for value in later rounds or studs and give up early picks? I have the 3rd pick this year. This is a brief sampling of my draft last year....

LT2 - round 1

SJax - round 2

Torry Holt - round 3

Steve Smith - round 5

Should I go for Smith and lose a round 5 pick or keep the stud LT2 and lose my 3rd pick? I could probably still get a decent #1 back like SJax or LaMont (won't be kept) by not keeping LT2. I am not really looking for "who should I keep ideas" necessarily, but "what is the best way to value keepers and not screw yourself" ideas. Thank you very much for you time. :huh:

keep the best player you got. would you not take LT in the first round anyway? doesnt matter if you lose that 1st round pick when you have him.

keep the best player you got. would you not take LT in the first round anyway? doesnt matter if you lose that 1st round pick when you have him.

i disagree entirely. i'd take smith in the 5th, and go RB-RB-WR in rounds 1-3. think about it, you'd be spending a pick on LT2 similar to his actual value. you are getting much more value getting steve smith with a 5th round pick.

Guest Swobo

No question...keep Steve Smith.

Rebooter, your logic is completely wrong to be honest.

Why take LT2 and lose a first round pick when you could keep Steve Smith and lose only a 5th round pick?!?!?

There's absolutely no way Steve Smith would fall to the 5th round, and with the way the Panthers are playing...he's gonna have another monster year

And then, with your first round pick that you still have, you are guaranteed to get either Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, or LT2.

And then, with your first round pick that you still have, you are guaranteed to get either Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, or LT2.

This is not true... SA & LJ would most probably be kept. LT would be in the draft pool. With the third pick of the draft you could actually get an RB as bad as RB11 (9 kept, plus 1st 2 picks of draft). You would also be giving the guy with the 1st pick a pretty good jump start with LT on his roster plus his keeper.

I say keep LT.

hmmm, interesting. sounds like keepers are a matter of opinion just like everything else. i, at first, also thought Smith was the way to go with the value there. but giving up LT2 is too tough. Alexander and LJ are being kept. What I may do is try to trade draft spots with someone and get a later pick. That way I get LT2 and a Chad Johnson, Fitz, Holt, again. Good idea?

well, I am now trying to get someone at 8, 9, or 10 to swap with me. I figure it gives them a huge advantage to move up to 3, but myself as well. I will get my 2nd pick much sooner at 11, 12, or 13 if I keep LT2 and give up my first round spot. Does that make sense to make sure I get a better 1st pick? Or should I wait and get another RB, WR at the other end of the snake?