Sign in to follow this  
vardaski

Fair Trade

In one of my leagues where we have always had a league vote time it was actually off this year. A trade was made between a young kid (13 I think) who is in the league because his dad is also in and another adult.

Young kid trades away McNabb and toomer and gets Bush and Ward. I am usually a proponent of you never know what will happen but this doesn't even seem close to reasonable. I made a comment on our board about this not being a fair trade and taking advantage of a young kid who sees Bush's name every where. The commish is the only one that responded saying that he didn't realize the vote setting wasn't on. Would you push the commish and rest of the league to do something about it or at least vote?

This guy had LJ. j. jones, steve smith, roy williams along with a few others. I commented that a fair trade would have been something more like j.jones and williams or jones and smith.

The lesson here is the same lesson that the Florida congressman just learned...

You don't play with 13-year olds.

:cry:

Trades don't have to be fair, although both teams should theoritically hope to benefit from the trades. This trade does not look to be very closely balanced, but it is also not as bad as it could've been. Bush might just explode and be a great pickup for the kid (maybe not highly likely, but still possible). McNabb has been explosive, so for the kid's sake i hope he has another decent QB.

As someone else said, you guys have a 13 yr old in the league. At his age, he is probably playing for pure fun and you guys probably should take that into consideration. He is going to make trades to pick up his favorite player or perhaps a flashy player - the price you get when you allow a 13 yr old in the league.

I recommend letting this trade stand and not making a big deal about it as it could ruin a 13 yr old's early FF experience. At least it wasn't (i hope) his dad benefitting from the trade!

My 13 year old son is 4-0, and is the only undefeated team in his league. He is playing in his step-dad's league (not mine), and he did get some help from me when deciding his draft order, but he has been spot on when making his line-up decissions and pretty savy about knowing which match-ups are good. I guess what I am saying is don't under-estimate the kid, he may just know what he is doing. :dunno:

Oh yeah... it was sweet when he knocked his step-dad out of the unbeaten ranks... that's my boy!

Sorry to change this topic into a crazy thing young kids have done in your league but i have one to tell. My little brother claims to be a sports fan (me and my older bro are hardcore fans) but he doesn't know anything. This year we were one short in our league so we threw him in there. I gave him a ADP sheet and position by position ranking and during the draft he asked me and my bro for advice on basiclay every pick. I wanted it to be fair so i gave him good (i think) advice. Well now he is one one of 2 people who are undefeated. After 2 weeks he had more point than me and my bro combined. But during week 2 he dropped these gems. Keep in mind we do not have IDP or anything.. we only play one team D:

"Wait, what deuce do i have."

"YES!!! How many points do you get for an int."

After Roy Williams got an int. No he does not have DAL defense, he has WR roy williams from the lions.

If he wins the league i will retire.

:rolleyes:

:D :lol: That's funny!

:rolleyes:

:lol:

I really hope you don't have a 13 y.o. in a money league. If it is a just-for-fun league, there is really no reason to veto it. If it was an all-adult league (either money or fun) - there is no question that this trade should not be vetoed.

I agree with erosyrd, but I'll take it one step further. IMO you were being a sniveling whiney dickhead for even posting your comments on the league board.

I love people like you who admit weaker players into your league and then get bent out of shape because someone improves their team at the expense of a weaker player. It kind of reminds me of a poker player who enjoys beating up on 'fish', and then gets upset when the 'fish' puts a bad beat on them by calling and hitting a 2 outer on the river. You let the kid into the game, now be a man and just manage your own team, don't try to manage his! Next year get into a league that more suits your obviously superior skill level.

Oh, and by the way, feel free to post this thread on your league board.

I really hope you don't have a 13 y.o. in a money league. If it is a just-for-fun league, there is really no reason to veto it. If it was an all-adult league (either money or fun) - there is no question that this trade should not be vetoed.

I agree with erosyrd, but I'll take it one step further. IMO you were being a sniveling whiney dickhead for even posting your comments on the league board.

I love people like you who admit weaker players into your league and then get bent out of shape because someone improves their team at the expense of a weaker player. It kind of reminds me of a poker player who enjoys beating up on 'fish', and then gets upset when the 'fish' puts a bad beat on them by calling and hitting a 2 outer on the river. You let the kid into the game, now be a man and just manage your own team, don't try to manage his! Next year get into a league that more suits your obviously superior skill level.

Oh, and by the way, feel free to post this thread on your league board.

It is a money league but not much $25 plus $1 player moves. His dad throws in the cash for the kid. It is the second year he has been in the league. The league has been up and running for 9 years. I recognize the problem with having a young kid in the league but I didn't admit him in the first place. I had no say in that and didn't actually think he was easy prey that decision was not mine. He actually held his own last year getting 3rd place. His dad gives him some advice prior to the draft but for the most part lets him make his own decisions.

Your so quick to criticize and trash me. Maybe next time you should get your head out your arse and look at the main point. Which was that in the prior 8 years we've had a vote on trades. That was supposed to continue this year but accidently the commish missed the setting. So we were supposed to have it in place for completely lopsided trades. It wasn't, the trade was made sunday morning, no one else saw it until after the fact and I was looking for suggestions about what your opinion is on what to do. I'm not sure why I'm wrong about being able to post comments on my league board. I'm not saying I'm going to quit and go home. The kid was in first and now is in third. This guy just jumped from 8 to 1 in a total points league. It is not head to head where the guy could possibly get knocked out on an unfortunately bad week down the stretch. I feel bad for the kid who had a really solid team and will probably end up not competing now. Plus it ruins the league to have one team get so much stronger because of an unfair trade. I never claimed to be superior and I don't certainly think I acted like it. If you want to continue to trash me fine go ahead I can take it like a man. If you want to give me an intelligent response that would be better.

If you do a search and read ANY of the hundreds of 'vetoed' posts here, you will quickly come to the view that the general consensus that a trade like this is not so unbalanced that it would merit a veto. Most will say that in lieu of collusion, trades should not be vetoed. Others (myself included) take a more liberal view that there are certain other circumstances, for instance, if allowing the trade would absolutely DESTROY the league - (my favorite example would be LT for a kicker). This trade is honestly not unbalanceD to qualify under anyone's definition of unreasonable.

You can trot out the old 'competitive balance' hogwash all you want. Easy vetoing of trades is the fastest way to kill active trading in any league.

Competitive balance is affected as soon as a draft is held, because some guys are more skillful at drafting than others. Some guys are more skillful at weekly roster management, and some are more skillful at trading. Those who are most skilled at all facets should win the league. It is that simple. Are you going to say that because one manager drafts 3 studs and another drafts one you should redraft? And who's definition of stud do you go by? If a manager drops Culpepper or Chambers because of their lack of production are you going to veto someone picking them up?

If you search and research veto threads on this board, you wlii find that most geeks are NOT IN FAVOR OF a league vote veto system, because the other managers vote according to how the trade affects THEIR chances of winning. I would have had more respect for you and your argument if your veto propositon was because you wanted to protect the kid from a bad trade. However, in effect trashing the kid's judgment by suggesting a veto does worse for the kid than any veto. Your argument appears to center more around the fact that this is a bad trade for YOU.

I stand by my prior comments. Look in the mirror. By the way, I did not really mean that I believed that you were a superior manager to anyone in your league. That was my attempt at SARCASM.

Thanks for the comments I respect those. I have read lots of post on vetoed trades and I know I'm even on record of saying that most trades are fair and shouldn't be vetoed. I agree it does kill the ability for any trades to go through and in fact in one of my other leagues we just have a commish ruling. The thing is, this league rarely ever trades maybe one or two all year at the most, I wish there was more trading. I have also never vetoed a trade in the 8 years in the league. This owner in particular has never been willing to trade once as long as he has been in the league which i think is 6 years.

I did also say in my past comments that I do feel bad for the kid who has already dropped to third and will probably continue to slide with out McNabb. With him he had a good chance to compete for the title. In my post on my board what I said was this was an unfair trade and that he took advantage of a kid and here is my original post that started this off....."I made a comment on our board about this not being a fair trade and taking advantage of a young kid who sees Bush's name every where. The commish is the only one that responded saying that he didn't realize the vote setting wasn't on. Would you push the commish and rest of the league to do something about it or at least vote?"

I recognize that most are not in favor of voting but since voting was supposed to be in place I'm asking what you would do about it. I respect if you think it could possibly be fair. I recognize most on the board are ok with even lopsided trades. That is why I was curious if the trade is lopsided enough and the issue about the voting not being there? You used the example where a kicker for LT would be unfair. Well I think there are plenty of kickers out there that will actually out score reggie bush this year. In fact there are 11 kickers in the league right now that have more points than reggie bush. The way I look at an unfair trade is when the value of one McNabb (top five qbs) far exceeds bush (not even top 20 rbs).

The trade actually helps myself because while the one owner was 8th his team was pretty good the other players were hurt early and had early byes and would probably have been up near the top anyways in the end. The kid would have been up there competing too before the trade but I doubt he will now. But thank you for the second response.