Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

Epilogue to Saturday car hunt

I spent 10-4 on Saturday at numerous dealerships and found the perfect '03 Audi A4 quattro with 20K miles for 23K . . . the dealer would NOT come down. Period. So we left. Sunday, went to the Jeep dealership where I got my Jeep, good guys. We settled on an '04 Cherokee Laredo Special Edition with 43K miles for 17,5K. We got him down to 16K. We put a deposit down. The previous day, we had been at a competing dealer and looked at '04s ranging from 17,9 to 18,9 plus. After paying the deposit, we went back to the competitor and he showed us the same 04 Jeep Laredo Special Edition 41K miles, with a 17,9 list and a few more features than the other. He said he'd give it to us for 16K (changed his tune from Saturday). Paid a deposit on that. Deposits are refundable. Buddy will decide today.

Pitted two dealers against each other, got the car we wanted at the price we wanted. The tips you gave were really helpful. Thank you. <_<

(On Saturday - we test drove a car from one dealer to a competitors dealership and asked what he could do to match it. They wouldn't let us leave the lot without buying their car - said he would give it to use for whatever we wanted. We left because he was far too aggressive and his inventory wasn't as nice as the one we test drove. The dealership we used the test car from was RIPSH!T, but they were pr!cks anyway - fvck 'em. They were trying to sell my buddy the sh!ttiest clunkers for 16K).

Wonder why the Audi guy was so adamant on his price? Are they selling THAT many used Audis that they can afford to not bargain?

Wonder why the Audi guy was so adamant on his price? Are they selling THAT many used Audis that they can afford to not bargain?

I don't know why it was priced at 23,998. That sounds like a crazy good price for that car - fully loaded with only 20K. I think he knows what he has there - someone will pay the asking price on that car. The car was gorgeous and practically brand new - averaged only 7K miles per year and the owner had it serviced every three months on the nose (saw the carfax). He should have had it listed as 25,998 and let people bargain down to 23,998 - let them think they're getting a deal.

It was an Audi dealership and he had four just like it, but with 40K+ miles. This was a gem, he knew it.