Sign in to follow this  
Lavard

More fun with Millen

What has to be done for the Fords to see this, whilst the entirety of the universe jokes about it? :thumbsup: :lol:

I can't believe I still throw the family out of the house on Sundays to watch this team :cry:

http://highlightreel.blogs.mlive.com/

Boston Globe: Numerous NFL execs rip Millen

Posted by Bill Emkow December 6, 2006 07:39

In the lead up to the Patriots game, the Boston Globe took a look at Matt Millen's record as a GM; they were as stunned with the numbers - as we all are: 23-68. And this man is still employed? The Globe also quoted Ron Wolf as well a number of NFL decision makers.

December 2, Boston Globe: "He's got the worst record in history from a general manager and he'll have that record forever," an AFC executive said this week. "No one else will ever get to have double-digit losses for six straight years. I've been in the league for over 20 years and I've never heard of a team going 23-68 without making a change in management. The only thing he's accomplished since he got to Detroit is surviving. Don't ask me how he's done it."

"It's not as easy as a person thinks it is when he's doing color commentary," former NFL executive of the year Ron Wolf said. "There's a lot of work involved that people don't have the patience for. There's luck involved as well, and Matt hasn't been very lucky.

"I really like Matt an awful lot. I have a lot of respect for him and what he did for us with the Raiders [as a player], but this [job] is different now. I can't explain why it happened. I don't know. I don't want to be too hard on him, but the record speaks for itself. It's pathetic. Inept, really."

"They don't seem to have any idea what they're doing in personnel," another AFC general manager said of the Lions. "If you draft a wide receiver with your first pick back-to-back-to-back, you have no idea how to build a team. You don't start rebuilding your team with wide receivers. You build on both sides of the ball.

"From what I see, they've made very poor decisions in the draft and free agency most of the time, and they didn't have patience. Matt was a great player, but that has nothing to do with building a team. Mickey Mouse was a great comedian but you don't make him the head of the Disney Company."

I found two mistakes in this article. One said Marty Mornhinweg had no coordinator experience prior to becoming the Lions' head coach. That would be wrong. He was coordinator of the 49ers under Steve Mariucci. The second had Mickey Mouse as a comedian. I'd love to hear the story how he jumped off the paper and hit the club circuit.