Sign in to follow this  
The Original Whizzinator

Keeper to Auction/Contract League Conversion

Long-time keeper league is looking to spice up our draft so we are hopefully going to convert over to an auction format with a couple of contracts for keepers. Not everyone is for it so instead of blowing it all up, we'll likely hand out two or three contracts to our current keepers. My suggestion is one 3 year deal and two 2 year deals.

Anyway, how do you go about determining the appropriate team cap and dollar values for players? We have 12 teams with a roster of 18, but I don't know if that translates to a $200 or $400 cap. Are there any rules specific to the auction draft? I'm assuming you just go around the room with an owner tossing out a player and bidding ensues until you have a winner.

Do people incorporate the cap into the season for free agent bidding and do a weekly blind bid? Are there websites that will track all this kind of stuff or does a league member have to keep a spreadsheet? Seems like it would be much less of a hassle to do waiver priority by worst record like we do now.

Just looking for auction ideas /help in general. Anything you can add would be great. Thanks in advance.

Long-time keeper league is looking to spice up our draft so we are hopefully going to convert over to an auction format with a couple of contracts for keepers. Not everyone is for it so instead of blowing it all up, we'll likely hand out two or three contracts to our current keepers. My suggestion is one 3 year deal and two 2 year deals.

Anyway, how do you go about determining the appropriate team cap and dollar values for players? We have 12 teams with a roster of 18, but I don't know if that translates to a $200 or $400 cap. Are there any rules specific to the auction draft? I'm assuming you just go around the room with an owner tossing out a player and bidding ensues until you have a winner.

Do people incorporate the cap into the season for free agent bidding and do a weekly blind bid? Are there websites that will track all this kind of stuff or does a league member have to keep a spreadsheet? Seems like it would be much less of a hassle to do waiver priority by worst record like we do now.

Just looking for auction ideas /help in general. Anything you can add would be great. Thanks in advance.

My league did an auction draft for the first time last year and everyone loved it. Most people will probably never go back to a snake draft.

There are a few different ways to do it. If all of your owners get together and do the draft then I recommend that you draw out of a hat to see where each owner will nominate a player. As soon as the player is nominated then the bidding begins. You'll have to get someone to monitor it and figure out how long each player will be nominated for. We did the draft online and used www.fantasyauctioneer.com. That site is pretty awesome, it lets you do free mock drafts which will give you an idea what price players are going for. If you use Myfantasyleague.com for your league then the results from fantasy auctioneer will just transfer to your league. I'm not sure if other sites do that or not.

As for the free agents. That one is kind of tricky, it just depends on what your owners want to do. The site we used will set up the blind bidding for you which is nice. Last year we did an open bidding system, Tue. at 7am everyone was free to nominate a player for the week (obviously starting the nomination at $1.00). The bidding would begin from there and each owner could bid away on any player until Thu night/Fri. morning at 12am. The owners who initially nominated the player would have a choice whether or not to match the highest bid on the player he nominated. It might sound kind of confusing, but it isn't. Some of the owners liked it and others didn't, so this year we are probably going to move to the blind bidding system. I would't recommend doing the normal waiver wire. We started our keeper league last year, so I really don't have much advice on how to transfer over your keepers. What you could do is see the avg. price for each player and make each owner pay that price for that player. For example if you have a $200 salary cap and lets say the avg. price for Tomlinson is $73, then the owner who chooses to keep him would have to give up $73. If you decide to go with the auction and you stick with it for a few years then I recommend that you have at least a 10% increase in salary for each keeper. My league is also a 12 team league and $200 salary cap worked fine for us. Hope that was helpful.

Excellent info. Thanks.

So myfantasyleague.com handles the blind bidding as well? We just left Sportsline this off-season to rtsports.com, but it's just a free trial so far so maybe we'll go here instead. Unless anyone knows if rtsports handles that?

One more FA questionon carrying the cap dollars into the season. Say I spend right up to the $200 cap at the draft and I want to pick up a FA in week 2. The site tracks each players dollar value so that I would be dropping a $15 player and be put out a $15 bid for the FA, right? And the site is userfriendly in terms of seeing all the teams' cap situation?

What is your max roster size for the $200 cap? Just wondering cause witha roster of 18, that's about $11 a player and LT at $73 seems crazy high for one player.

Excellent info. Thanks.

So myfantasyleague.com handles the blind bidding as well? We just left Sportsline this off-season to rtsports.com, but it's just a free trial so far so maybe we'll go here instead. Unless anyone knows if rtsports handles that?

One more FA questionon carrying the cap dollars into the season. Say I spend right up to the $200 cap at the draft and I want to pick up a FA in week 2. The site tracks each players dollar value so that I would be dropping a $15 player and be put out a $15 bid for the FA, right? And the site is userfriendly in terms of seeing all the teams' cap situation?

What is your max roster size for the $200 cap? Just wondering cause witha roster of 18, that's about $11 a player and LT at $73 seems crazy high for one player.

I believe that myfantasyleague.com will pretty much take care of all the blind bidding for us. This will be our first year using the blind bidding, so i'm not real familiar with it yet.

Yes, if you drop a player you will be able to pick up another player or players that equal up to that same amount. Thats what I liked the most about that site, it was very user friendly, by showing each teams cap situation and how much they paid for each player. Another bonus to doing the auction is you really don't need to have trade veto's. Every trade is fair, because you have to make room for each player. So another wards you really can't trade Tomlinson $73 for Rex Grossman $1.

Our roster max was 17, but it wouldn't have been much different if it was 18 because we still would have started the same amount of players. $73 for Tomlinson was a lot, but it was competitive. Like I said before, some owners decided to get two good backs instead of spending that much for one of the big 3. I liked Tomlinson more than Alexander and Johnson last year, so I was willing to pay that much for what I believed would be by far the best RB. I got lucky and ended up being right and got rewarded for it, but if I would have picked wrong then my season would have been much different. Going into the draft most people didn't think it was worth spending 15-20 more for them, when they could get Tiki, Portis, Rudi etc. for $50-$60, the ones that took that chance knew that those guys don't have the potential for huge weeks like the big 3 do. For example.. I drafted Tomlinson and won the league, the guy who drafted L. Johnson had the best regular season record and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs and the guy who drafted Alexander had the worst record in the league and won 1 game, so it just goes to show that it could be a huge benefit, but if you guess wrong with that big of a salary then your season is pretty much over.