Sign in to follow this  
NotAClue

Just finished Tony Dungy's "Quiet Strength"...

For those that don't know the book is a mish mash of his personal life and football, with the main theme being his faith and how important his faith is in his personal life and his coaching philosophy.

I'm atheist and usually can't stand religious blowhards, but I really enjoyed reading his book. He seems like a stand up guy. He doesn't talk about his children that much, but he does put in most of the eulogy he delivered at his son's funeral; I've got to admit I teared up a little at the Barnes & Noble reading that.

I don't know what happened with this son, and I guess we could speculate that he shut his son out because Jamie was gay and Dungy was so religious, but he doesn't seem like the kind of father that would do that. Who knows. :pointstosky:

Any other book recs?

I'm gonna check that book out too.

Here's one - Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious

By Gerd Gigerenzer

not a bad read.

I just finished it last week too. Good read and I gained a ton of respect for him. Though I am not religious at all, it made me realize that I need to be less critical of people who are. It obviously helps him out a lot in life and he uses it to help make himself a better person. Hard to fault a person for that.

I wish he gave more "dirt" but there were still some neat insights. Like how he had to "settle" for Mike Alstott because they could not trade up for Leland McElroy. :dunno:

About the only thing that I would be curious about is how he rationalized the death of his son with the time he devotes to his career. I am not familiar with the details of his son's death and I am not trying to make a judgment here. Just curious if he felt the time he spent away from his family was a contributing factor.