Sign in to follow this  
jizzatch

Salary Cap Draft Questions

I'm in a league that is doing a salary cap draft instead of a redraft or auction. Has anyone done one of these, and if so, what advice do you have? I have done a few auctions and lots of redrafts, but never a salary cap. Also, I am not able to be at my draft.

Our league is using the predefined ESPN auction values as the basis of our league's salary cap values for each player.

We also are allowed to keep one keeper, which counts against the initial $200, and it's a PPR league with performance scoring, i.e. bonus for 40+yard tds and etc.

At this point, I'm looking at using the cheatsheet compiler. I want to compare the ESPN stated auction values against other sites like the fantasy football auctioneer site and the fftoday CC compiler to look for bargains.

And, since I can't be at the draft, I also have to be creative in how I prerank players. I am going to use our league commissioner to proxy draft for me.

I am thinking of how I can approach this, so that I get screwed as little as possible on draft day. And I want to be coy about it, so that I don't give too much away of my strategy to my proxy. In other words, I don't want to let on too much about the madness to my method.

Questions:

1. Is it a good idea to try and draft contrarian early and go for WR, TE, K, etc., while everyone else spends their cap money? Or do I go with best player available like I would in a snake draft?

2. What are some other general strategies you have used to get an edge in salary cap drafting?

3. Do I keep Randy Moss or Steven Jackson as my keeper?

Thanks.