Sign in to follow this  
Hobbit

New to Keeper League

This is my 11th Fantasy Football season, but my first one with a keeper. We've always been a redraft league with random order for draft picks (14 rounds). I am the commissioner.

We'd like to keep two players each, and my question is what kind of cost do other keeper leagues charge for keeping players? That is, if an owner keeps his 1st round and 3rd round picks from last year, do they make him lose his 1st and 3rd round picks for this year? Also, what do you do if an owner decides to keep a player he picked up off the waiver wire (Matt Cassel is a good example).

Thanks for any input, I'll try to answer as many as I can but I am at work.... :dunno:

This is my 11th Fantasy Football season, but my first one with a keeper. We've always been a redraft league with random order for draft picks (14 rounds). I am the commissioner.

We'd like to keep two players each, and my question is what kind of cost do other keeper leagues charge for keeping players? That is, if an owner keeps his 1st round and 3rd round picks from last year, do they make him lose his 1st and 3rd round picks for this year? Also, what do you do if an owner decides to keep a player he picked up off the waiver wire (Matt Cassel is a good example).

Thanks for any input, I'll try to answer as many as I can but I am at work.... :thumbsup:

There are many options when it comes to keeper leagues, but here are some of the main ones I've seen and used:

1) The simplest one is you can keep up to 2 players or even HAVE to keep 2 players and then the draft starts from there like normal. I personally don't like this one because someone could keep an Adrian Peterson for his whole career. But you also could put a 2 or 3 year cap on how long you can keep a player.

2) You can keep 2 players and you lose the draft pick 2 rounds ahead of where you got them. So if you got Forte in the 7th round last year, you could keep him as a 5th rounder this year, then if you kept him again the next year, you would lose a 3rd round, and so on until he is uneligible to keep. This means that no one can keep 1st and 2nd rounders and keeps some of the top players recycled throughout the league.

3) You can keep 2 players you drafted in the 5th round or later and then just start drafting. Rewards people for finding steals in the draft or lets them keep two guys they got later in their draft. Also could incorporate the lose 2 rounds ahead rule in to this so that people can't always keep complete steals and at least lose a pick or two.

Free agent pickups would just count as final round picks OR 10th round picks or whatever the league decides. Or you could make them not eligible to be kept at all. So this way someone who picked up Slaton off waivers last year cant keep him year after year at a really late round pick. You could run the league like you suggested where you just lose the pick in the round you took him, but again, this could let someone keep the #1 guy forever and depending where they draft, only lose a late first round pick for him.

Thanks, some good suggestions! Yes, I should have mentioned that we would have a two-year cap on players, and you can keep UP TO two players. You don't need to if you don't want to.

Some owners really want to only keep players that were drafted, while others would like to keep waiver picks but lose a 6th round pick. If that owner is also keeping his 6th round pick from the draft, he'd lose his 6th and 7th round picks.

Thanks, some good suggestions! Yes, I should have mentioned that we would have a two-year cap on players, and you can keep UP TO two players. You don't need to if you don't want to.

Some owners really want to only keep players that were drafted, while others would like to keep waiver picks but lose a 6th round pick. If that owner is also keeping his 6th round pick from the draft, he'd lose his 6th and 7th round picks.

Yeah as long as you put a cap on how long you can keep players, your idea of just losing the round you took them in is fine. This way the longest someone could keep an absolute steal is 2 years. I like the idea of having free agents be like a 6th round pick. If they are good enough they would still be great to keep, but they are being kept at least a round where starting players are taken.