Sign in to follow this  
sawilson

Why are they rating these WR's this way?

And I am at 2 - 2. Trying to do some analysis in terms of who to start and the only one I am having concerns with is the WR arena. Every projection I have read says to start A Boldin over S Smith (NYG), with Boldin playing against OAK this week and Smith against Hou.

Boldin is averaging 57 yds/game and .3 td/game

Smith is averaging 102 yds/game and 1 td/game

So my question is, why is Boldin ranked so much higher than Smith this week? Is it because who they are playing against?

First, you have the matchups mixed up.

NYG is playing Oakland, which means Nnamdi Asomugha will be covering Smith. Also, Eli may not play so there may be a lot of David Carr handoffs.

First, you have the matchups mixed up.

NYG is playing Oakland, which means Nnamdi Asomugha will be covering Smith. Also, Eli may not play so there may be a lot of David Carr handoffs.

this.... except Asomugha wont be covering Smith. He stays on his side of the field regardless of what WR's line up where and Smith will be working from the slot quite a bit to avoid him. Having said that, the Eli injury is problematic and could flare up at anytime. I dont expect to see Eli tossing the rock much at all in this one even if he does play, its Oakland and the G-Men could beat them like a drum with Andre Ware at the helm.

I'm thinking of benching Smith for Houshmazilli, tough to take him out since he has been so good but this has the feel of a bad game for Smith.

Correct, Asomugha won't be covering Smith out of the slot especially with Manningham playing the sides. BUT I do think Smith will get a lot of passes thrown his way.

Gates and Jackson both had 5 catches, Bobby Wade had 6, Marshall had 6. I think they will beat Oakland early by passing to avoid them trying to stop the rush. Smith will play a huge role in moving the ball down the field, especially if Asomugha has Manningham locked up so they don't get beat deep.

Smith will be an ok WR2 in a PPR this week. 6-8 catches for about 70 yards and possibly a touchdown from inside the 20.

Just looking at their averages is a bit misleading. Boldin has been injured and is now completely healthy after the bye, so you can probably expect higher numbers. His week 1 of like 20 yds and no TD really skews that as well, but as said, he was not fully healthy.

Look back to his game logs from last year and you will see what a healthy Boldin is capable of, and the Houston D should allow the AZ passing game to be back to its normal self this week.