Sign in to follow this  
joeunleaded

Apparently incorrect news on Roth suspension

Feels like you can't trust anyone anymore...

http://tinyurl.com/36km7gc

Roethlisberger five game suspension report was a hoax

According to Mike Wise of the Washington Post, his earlier report of a five game suspension of Ben Roethlisberger was a hoax as part of a bit on his show today, he was trying to show the inaccuracy of reporting in the social media.

Unfortunately, he damaged his own credibility by doing so. He may have made his point that sites like this, Profootballtalk.com, and others rely on responsible media outlets and journalists as credible sources but that is what we do, we aggregate the news from some of the very best sports journalists in the country.

In our headline we use the following headline: Report: Roethlisberger suspension to be reduced to five games . Many times we do this if we are unsure of the source or accuracy of the report we have read and we somehow had a feeling this one was somewhat shaky.

Perhaps next time on his radio show Mr. Wise might want to play "War of the Worlds" just to see what kind of reaction he gets from his listeners.

F this guy. Ben will miss 4 games MAX - Douche who wrote the article prob a Ravens fan. :thumbsdown:

Wanted to provide an update here - looks like this guy's getting dinged for his stupidity...

ARTICLE: Washington Post sportswriter suspended for Twitter hoax

WASHINGTON (AFP) – A Twitter experiment that went awry has landed a sportswriter for The Washington Post with a one-month suspension.

Mike Wise, a respected Post columnist, was suspended by the newspaper on Tuesday, a day after he posted a fake report on his Twitter account.

"Roethlisberger will get five games, I'm told," Wise wrote on his Twitter feed, @MikeWiseguy, on Monday in a reference to the length of the suspension handed down to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

In fact, Roethlisberger's penalty for an offseason incident in a Georgia nightclub has not yet been determined.

Wise told the Post that he "tweeted" the made-up report as a social media experiment to to see how widely it would spread in the media, a move he said later was a "horrendous mistake."

"I'm not a journalism ombudsman," Wise told the Post. "And I found that out in a very painful, hard way. I need to take my medicine and move on, and promise everybody this will never happen again."

"I'm paying the price I should for careless, dumb behavior," he said.

It will be 4 games. They knew this for awhile. Notice how Pitt isn't on national TV until after their bye in week 5? And yeah their bye is after week 4, giving Ben a full 2 weeks to get ready with the team.