Sign in to follow this  
BRANDON ROSS

Dynasty Running Backs

I would never post this line of question here unless it was such a slow time, and it could relate to fantasy football strategy. In my dynasty auction ppr league, I build my team around consistency. Specifically I try to start a RB in my flex since they are more consistent scorers than wr or te. I'm bringing in a stable of questionable running backs (although many with upside) which makes me uncomfortable.

My RBs at this point:

Darren McFadden - maybe a second tier back, but far from a proven commodity.

Michael Bush - come on free agency!

Knowshon Moreno - depends on who they add in FA.

Beanie Wells - I have to think (despite Ryan Williams) he will get his chance to be the main ball carrier at the start of the season.

Donald Brown - Personally, I like the way Mike Hart runs, but the Colts are invested in Brown, and they drafted 2 o-linemen in the first two rounds. So maybe, just maybe, it was the run blocking last year?

Tashard Choice - I like to watch him run. I hate Dallas, so Jerry Jones (if you are reading this post) please consider trading this guy. Lots of value there.

Mike Goodson - big sleeper in PPR league, esp if Williams leaves.

Anthony Dixon - gaining weight to play some fullback. Not good.

Jerome Harrison - good runner. I might cut him if I need to the spot though. Still a decent chance he might see some spot starting duty depending on where he ends up.

Should I try to move a couple of these guys for a quality starter or just take a wait and see through the first couple weeks of the season. Once again, sorry for posting this on the mange board, but I think it could lead to some quality discussion about upside vs. consistency at the starting RB position.

I am assuming that is your entire RB corp and that you start 2 with a flex position?

I'll be honest, I am not sure I see 2 RB's I am comfortable starting each week let alone 3. I don't think a trade is viable at this point simply because you have no idea what you have got at the moment. You likely would be forced to take the bad end of a trade simply to get more stability, I would wait. At the earliest I would consider a trade was during free agency whenever that happens to be.

The good news is that you have some real potential either through free agency (Bush, Harrison & Goodson) or expected cuts to rosters due to salaries of players in front of your players (Choice).

I would keep Harrison, I like him a lot and he has some talent (WSU Grad here so I could be biased). I would actually drop Dixon first if he truly is bulking up as you say and he couldnt beat out an over the hill Westbrook for the backup gig.

I am not a fan of Moreno, Wells, or Brown they all have squandered golden opportunities where it looked like all they had to do was to perform and they had the starting job and all failed. They might turn out legit simply based on opportunity but I expect all of them to be at best change of pace backs by the time the season starts.

Without knowing anything about the size of your league, the total roster size, the acitve roster size and starting line-up requirements, it is hard to say how much I hate your RBs here, but it is easy to say that I don't like your group.

I tend to think in terms of 'bankable production', at least for my top 3 RB spots, and except for DMac, you have almost no real bankable production at all. Breaking it down:

Darren McFadden - Stud. I think you are under-estimating him. 200-220 FPTs in regular scoring, about 265 FPTs in PPR.

Michael Bush - Nice Handcuff to McFadden. He ain't going anywhere....fogetaboudit! A 'baseline' RB unless DMac gets hurt.

Knowshon Moreno - About a 50% chance that he's not even the lead back in a RBBC.

Beanie Wells - His production is anything but bankable. I'd be a seller for whatever you can get for him.

Donald Brown - I'd say he has no trade value and very little real value either.

Tashard Choice - The train has left the station, and he ain't on it. Negligible value.

Mike Goodson - He's a sleeper, the question is - will he wake up?

Anthony Dixon - Not good.

Jerome Harrison - Not good.

Other than McFadden (who you under-estimate), I think you've fallen in love with yesterday's hype and today's mediocrity. Except for M Bush's handcuff value, I'd put the whole lot of the rest of them up for sale if I could get one more RB with bankable production. I don't see the 'high upside' you are referring to.

Other than McFadden (who you under-estimate), I think you've fallen in love with yesterday's hype and today's mediocrity. Except for M Bush's handcuff value, I'd put the whole lot of the rest of them up for sale if I could get one more RB with bankable production. I don't see the 'high upside' you are referring to.

There are plenty of hall of fame running backs that didn't take off until their third year. I'm just hoping that either Wells, Brown, or Moreno pan out as a decent # 2 option. Hopefully Carolina resigns Williams, and Denver picks up a lesser back like Ronnie Brown to five Moreno a chance to get 50-60% of the carries.

Agree with MFM here. Outside of McFadden, I'm not sure who you are starting as your 2nd RB, let alone 3rd RB. Hopefully you have a solid WR core and you can start one of them at flex, which isn't a bad move in PPR leagues. Moreno MIGHT not kill you in PPR because he could catch 40+ passes, but it's likely his overall touches will be significantly reduced when they bring in another back to take over on first and second downs.

I really don't like any of the other RB's on your roster to see a significant workload this season unless you get lucky with injuries or in free agency. Best case scenario for you might be if Michael Bush lands in Denver. You could then hope he emerges as the workhorse/goalline back in a RBBC with Moreno. But that's still a longshot.

I also don't see a lot of trade value here. But only you know your leaguemates. Maybe you could potentially "steal" a player like Fred Jackson, who seems to fly under the radar. He will continue to be the starter in Buffalo in my opinion, and all he has done in that position is produce. I would like him as your RB2 much more than any of your other options.

There has been a lot of conjecture that M. Barber will be cut due to his salary leaving F.Jones and T. Choice as the Dallas backfield. So far F. Jones has only held onto the job because Jerry Jones wants to look like a genius GM. I see some value in choice but it is sleeper round 10 and later value, an extreme long shot.

It does look like Bush will be a restricted free agent, he has been in league 4 years but lost first year for foot injury so only has 3 actual years of service putting him in the restricted free agent market (I was assuming he was a free agent). The raiders would be crazy not to keep him on a nice one year deal but its Al Davis so who knows, anywas that hurts your corp, it makes him a necessary handcuff but not a potential #1 RB elsewhere.

Moreno is probably startable simply because it is ppr and I think he ends up the 3rd down back and plays the role of a poor man's Reggie Bush (which is actually pretty decent in PPR leagues).

I hope you have incredible WR's, QB and TE. Before offering trade advice, I would need to see the rest of your roster but I dont think you can get much for these RB's. If you start 3 WR's and have studs then you should be fine in ppr leagues.

anywas that hurts your corp, it makes him a necessary handcuff but not a potential #1 RB elsewhere.

It seemed like last year Bush and McFadden took turns getting injured so together they make an excellent RB 1.

im wondering if in a dynasty you should trade away stud RBs after say two great years for draft picks or younger RBs. ive never been a huge fan of the RB position in fantasy. as in would this be the best moment to trade away adrian peterson?