Sign in to follow this  
MammothHog

draft strategy

Okay folks, I need some help. I am going up against some experienced fantasy gurus this year and I need some draft strategy help. I'm going to lay it all out here and tell me what strategy could be most beneficial.

Scoring:

Offense

Pass TD-6

Pas Yds-1 point for every 20Yds

Rec TD-6

Rec Yds-1 point for every 10Yds

Rush TD-6

Rush Yds-1 point for every 10Yds

Defense

forced fumbles-2

fumbles recovered-2

Interceptions-3

passes def-1

sacks-3

tackles(assisted)-0.5

tackles(solo)-1.5

touchdowns-6

It is an 8 team league with 9 starters including QB,RB,2 WRs,TE,WR/RB/TE,ID,K,DST and no more than 4 reserves. I have picks 5,12,21,28,37,44,53,60,69,76,85,92,101. Any direction at all would be great. Thanks.

With your league this shallow, RB and probably TE are going to be the only positions that matter. With only 8 teams, quarterback will be very very deep. Only one team will be left without an elite option, as the top 7 quarterbacks are all pretty decent. Just make sure you get one out of the group of Romo/Rivers/Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers/Vick, so you want to be about the 5th-7th (but not 8th) team to pick a quarterback.

RB, TE, and WR are the most important positions, probably in that order. Tight end will be a pretty scarce position, as there are really only 4 tight ends that are any good with this scoring system & eight team league (Gates, Clark, Davis, Finley). There's a big drop off to Witten, Daniels, Graham, Zach Miller, and you don't want to be a team stuck without a top 4 tight end option. So you want to be the 1st-3rd team to pick a tight end.

The key is just to be sure to draw tiers, and make sure that when there are only 3-4 options left for you in that tier that you take your guy. You don't want to wait to select a tight end when only Vernon Davis is left, because he may get drafted before he gets to you.

Ignore the other positions. Defense, IDP, Kicker should be taken in the last 3 rounds in that order, no exceptions. And make your IDP player a "Mike" linebacker in a 4-3 scheme, they rack up the most tackles. There's plenty of linebacker depth too, so no rush to pick the right guy. Good IDP's would be Patrick Willis, James Laurinaitis, Brian Urlacher, Jon Beason, Jerod Mayo, Paul Posluszny, Lawrence Timmons, Chad Greenway, ect. They'll easily rack up over 100 tackles, plus a few of the other stats.

Thanks FF Geek. That all makes perfect sense and seems like a good start to a draft strategy. I really appreciate it. Do you have any thoughts on advantages of trading picks?

Thanks FF Geek. That all makes perfect sense and seems like a good start to a draft strategy. I really appreciate it. Do you have any thoughts on advantages of trading picks?

In my experience this rarely happens. If you can get a sucker to let you move up in a round to jump ahead of a team with the same needs as you then I might do it, but most of the time teams rarely want to move back in an early round in order to move up in a later one.